WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Needing a SOBO Thru-hiker

I am a teacher in NC, and I was wondering if anyone who is going to be starting to SOBO soon would be willing to correspond with my class. I would like for them to be able to send letters to you and even goodies! We live close to some of the AT, so I am interested in having them meet you also. Please let me know if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkpanther
    I am a teacher in NC, and I was wondering if anyone who is going to be starting to SOBO soon would be willing to correspond with my class. I would like for them to be able to send letters to you and even goodies! We live close to some of the AT, so I am interested in having them meet you also. Please let me know if you're interested.
    i am new to this site...as well as to the at scene...does sobs mean south bound?if so i am plannin on leavin the crafton notch area the beginin of april...i would like to take a ton of pictures on the way...and maybe even write a book about my travels...

one idea is to find a sobo hiking now.... many have current online journals at www.trailjournals.com most should be over halfway done by now and quickly headed into your area.

also, it might be best to contact the transcribers and or homebase of hikers you would like to speak with.. since they will be the ones who speak with them on a regular basis... if you just email the hiker it may be weeks before you get a reply

PS MR-- yep sobo=southbounder

September is really late to be starting a southbound hike. Most start in June or July.

I think what you are doing is a really good idea! It seems one of the biggest obstacles for long distance hiking is loneliness/homesick. Most people probably only correspond with those near and dear to them. I would think this would only add to their frustrations. Encouraging words are always good. Also, the hiker would be more inclined to remember and write about only the good things for children to read. It could remind them of why they are out there hiking in the first place (especially when they're feeling blue).
    I'm planning a thru hike (Maine to Georgia) this coming June...money permitting. If all works out, I would be more than happy to contribute to next year's class.

j

++ New Posts ++