WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    If I wanted to see consistency, I'd just drive up the east coast on I-95.
    I daresay the A.T. is more consistent than I-95. For one thing, it's more continuous: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...state_Highways Plus you don't have to pay different toll rates like I-95.

Back to the topic, I doubt one could even get the A.T.'s federalization with corridor purchase authority passed in today's political climate. The moment in history that allowed the establishment of the Federal-nonprofit partnership as strong as it has been, has passed. The thought of getting the Federal government all the resources to rewrite all the compromises in the corridor acquisition, not to mention displacing the more recalcitrant state-level public land managers too - that would take Putin-level dictatorship coming to power in the USA.

I do think, as the OP notes, things like mapping and marking is experiencing convergent evolution. Volunteers are much cheaper than extending the bureaucracy to ground level, but pride can certainly be an obstacle in managing groups of volunteers even towards a shared objective.

If you want to appreciate the consistency of the A.T., try working on or hiking Great Eastern Trail. The GET project has had actually to avoid federalization, recognizing that it passes through about a hundred red counties and on the edge of one very pale blue one. These days the perception of association with the FedGov loses you much more in the heartland than the relatively slim resources that would become more available. Or flipping the coin over, the GET hiker can embrace the Appalachian Mountains more like Earl Shaffer did in '48, without mediation of the protected corridor synthetic wilderness, the "bubble" and conditioned "trail angels".

Images

Oh my....what a terrible thought! The government employees taking over care of something that is truely loved and taken care of by citizens!
    Last edited by coach lou; 02-08-2014 at 12:02.

Images

I think there is enough involvement as it is. I'll bet even if it wasn't maintained by the thousands of volunteers, people would still enjoy hiking that route, even if it meant doing a little bushwacking or zigging and zagging.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    maybe they should just pave the darn thing and add handrails?
    Beep beep. Outta my way hiker trash.

"Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Truly sad really that someone cannot enjoy the regional and local character and quirks of the people and communities along the trail that truly make the Appalachian Trail. It would be sad to pave over that cultural history just to please a New England trail club hating whiner
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Does the Appalachian Trail even exist?

No.....I think we've all just been walking on clouds.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Leave it to Moldy to start controversy when there is none.

Its all part of the vast conspiracy of the ATC, the individual Trail Clubs, and the Companion against hikers.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Oh my....what a terrible thought! The government employees taking over care of something that is truely loved and taken care of by citizens!
    Well, to be fair, one could not exist without the other. While most of the labor is volunteered by citizen trail clubs, the funding for land acquisition/protective corridor (only a few miles of the AT are still on private lands) and large projects and such generally comes from or with extensive government involvement. It takes both government agencies and their employees and citizen clubs to make the AT (and most other trails) work. The cooperative effort by NPS, USFS, state and local govs and agencies, ATC, and local clubs is one of the best examples out there of how government and citizens working together can be effective. It's a pretty amazing synergy that no one (okay, very few) wants to mess with.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Its all part of the vast conspiracy of the ATC, the individual Trail Clubs, and the Companion against hikers.
    LOL... either I missed the memo or I was intentionally left out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    I'm already buying Dogwood a drink. Maybe you can share with him? Haha
    Not sharing. And, I'm also ordering an expensive drink. Shaken. Not stirred. Bring your Platinum card.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Beep beep. Outta my way hiker trash.

I think he's showing off popping a wheelie. This is what happens when the technocrat geeks of Segway, Spin Life(suppliers of wheelchairs), and an umbrella manufacturer are locked up in a room with too much time and a gallon of cheap wine with Ron Popeil(founder of RONCO). He even puts caution tape around the edge of the umbrella. Where are his brake and head lights and 'look at me but get out of my way' police lights. Wonder if he has an ejection seat in it? Of course he's GPS and WiFi equipped.

Quote Originally Posted by rockever View Post
    As a newbe on WB, and after following many threads wondering when and where I should place my first post, I believe I have found the horizon where my dream becomes reality. What is the AT becoming? I live on the west coast and the PCT would be convenient, but I am not ready for the high elevations and snow. Should I go ahead and purchase my "passport" and expect "trail angels" to be there when I need a soda? Shouldn't a flip/flop be considered as pure an approach to the spirit of the AT considering the volume of hikers today? Can't you detour through GSMNP using tent camping at designated sites and avoid the whole shelter issue? It is beautiful there that an extra day would be nice? I look forward to future posts as I have learned so much already.
    High elevations you aren't going to avoid but for logistical PCT purposes IMO you can't be at a more convenient place than Eureka to organize a PCT NOBO, SOBO, Flip Flop, or Section Hike. You certainly can organize a PCT section hike so you miss most or all of the possible PCT snow travel. There are oodles of outstanding hiking right there in that regional area where you live. Like you ideas concerning the AT. That's the Humboldt County spirit of thinking outside the box and watching out for Bigfoot.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Not sharing. And, I'm also ordering an expensive drink. Shaken. Not stirred. Bring your Platinum card.
    WARNING: Sarcastic content follows

Damn, and I was going to settle for a cold beer. [Hey, I may be cheap - but I'm easy too]
    Your choice Sierra, but Dogbert there sounds pretty high maintenance . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post

Damn, and I was going to settle for a cold beer. [Hey, I may be cheap - but I'm easy too]
    But I have a platinum card too and I'm compromising, willing to buy dinner. Who's high maintenance now?

I used to be opposed to the federal involvement in the AT, but then I hiked the Benton McKaye Trail from the Ocoee River south to Springer and spent one day walking in a ravine through a subdivision of second homes. Couldn't find a tree to piss on that was out of sight of a house! If it hadn't been for the federal involvement in acquiring the AT Corridor outside of the National Forests and National Parks, I suspect that the AT would involve a lot of road walking today and subdivision walking. It is nice to see my tax dollars doing at least something useful, like preserving land.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post

But I have a platinum card too and I'm compromising, willing to buy dinner. Who's high maintenance now?
    Someone better be putting out.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

The diversity of the trail, is the trail, shelters, huts, and lean to's.
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

Moldy has gone fishing on a nice Saturday. Looks like he got a nice catch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++