WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Does the Appalachian Trail even exist?

Is it one long trail or is it a series of short trails hooked together? I recently noticed in the new Companion that for the first time ever a single map was produced for the entire trail. The exact scale and symbols used in Georgia are used in Maine. It's just a new profile map but it is a start. Hopefully the new trend will create a real Appalachian Trail. Thru-hikers can tell almost immediately when one section ends and the next one starts because things are different. It's not just the blazing, signage and maps with various scales, colors and and legends. The names of things also vary widely, I thought I knew what a shelter was. And the rules!
    Trail clubbers, who maintain the trail between hogface bottom and rotten crotch gap will have no idea what I'm talking about. So we now have a single consistent profile map, I'm ready for more consistency, one single Appalachian Trail. Time for the Park Service to step up and take over the whole trail. States, Federal agencies, trail clubs don't need a piece of the action.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Is it one long trail or is it a series of short trails hooked together? I recently noticed in the new Companion that for the first time ever a single map was produced for the entire trail. The exact scale and symbols used in Georgia are used in Maine. It's just a new profile map but it is a start. Hopefully the new trend will create a real Appalachian Trail. Thru-hikers can tell almost immediately when one section ends and the next one starts because things are different. It's not just the blazing, signage and maps with various scales, colors and and legends. The names of things also vary widely, I thought I knew what a shelter was. And the rules!
    Trail clubbers, who maintain the trail between hogface bottom and rotten crotch gap will have no idea what I'm talking about. So we now have a single consistent profile map, I'm ready for more consistency, one single Appalachian Trail. Time for the Park Service to step up and take over the whole trail. States, Federal agencies, trail clubs don't need a piece of the action.
    so we should pay government employees to maintain the trail that volunteers currently do? for a piece of what action?and isnt the national park service a federal agency?

Journal Entries

Lord have mercy.

Uhh, I don't know if you've been paying attention but the NPS is already having difficulty managing NP sites with the resources allocated to them. Sooo, with all the States, Federal agencies, trail clubs, trail maintainers, volunteers, etc out of the way how do you propose a smooth transitional takeover by the NPS and how do you propose the NPS should, or even can, allocate what resources they do have to do what all these entities are currently doing?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I like the trail just fine the way it is, and yes I do enjoy the regional variations, it's nice to see the changes from state to state. I also greatly enjoy knowing that the trail is primarily maintained by volunteers, it is and will continue to be a labor of love for those who work on it.

If I wanted to see consistency, I'd just drive up the east coast on I-95.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Last thing we need is more government control over our land.

I disagree......

As a newbe on WB, and after following many threads wondering when and where I should place my first post, I believe I have found the horizon where my dream becomes reality. What is the AT becoming? I live on the west coast and the PCT would be convenient, but I am not ready for the high elevations and snow. Should I go ahead and purchase my "passport" and expect "trail angels" to be there when I need a soda? Shouldn't a flip/flop be considered as pure an approach to the spirit of the AT considering the volume of hikers today? Can't you detour through GSMNP using tent camping at designated sites and avoid the whole shelter issue? It is beautiful there that an extra day would be nice? I look forward to future posts as I have learned so much already.

Images

Is it one long trail or is it a series of short trails hooked together?
    Yes. Yes it is.
    I recently noticed in the new Companion that for the first time ever a single map was produced for the entire trail. The exact scale and symbols used in Georgia are used in Maine. It's just a new profile map but it is a start. Hopefully the new trend will create a real Appalachian Trail.
    Unlikely, I've heard the old trail is refusing to step aside.
    Thru-hikers can tell almost immediately when one section ends and the next one starts because things are different.
    Thru-hikers are lucky if they remember which state they're in and which direction to go in the morning.
    It's not just the blazing, signage and maps with various scales, colors and and legends. The names of things also vary widely, I thought I knew what a shelter was.
    What's a shelter? Oh you mean a lean-to. Why didn't you say so in the first place. Must not be from around heah, eh?
    And the rules!
    1st rule of hiking: NO WHINING
    Trail clubbers, who maintain the trail between hogface bottom and rotten crotch gap will have no idea what I'm talking about.
    Well, at least they'll now have plenty of company.
    So we now have a single consistent profile map, I'm ready for more consistency, one single Appalachian Trail.
    Fascinating idea. You should get it published and see if there is some interest in building this single trail.
    Time for the Park Service to step up and take over the whole trail.
    The Park Service has trouble enough managing a simple shelt-- I mean lean-to reservation system. Taking over a whole trail would be nuts I tell ya. NUTS!
    States, Federal agencies, trail clubs don't need a piece of the action.
    Hey, careful whose turf you're trying to horn in on. Capisce?

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    I disagree......
    Well... at the very least I would like to never have public land closures used as a punishment. I think we can agree with that.

Sorry about the tangent, rockever. I'm a newbie too. (An overly opinionated one that can't seem to keep out of trouble.)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    Well... at the very least I would like to never have public land closures used as a punishment. I think we can agree with that.

Sorry about the tangent, rockever. I'm a newbie too. (An overly opinionated one that can't seem to keep out of trouble.)
    If you didn't cause a little trouble, you wouldn't fit in here

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    If you didn't cause a little trouble, you wouldn't fit in here
    Oh! Oh no.... Now I'm going to be following you around like a puppy.

Images

Oh! Oh no.... Now I'm going to be following you around like a puppy.
    Just don't try to buy me a drink, unless . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Just don't try to buy me a drink, unless . . .
    I'm already buying Dogwood a drink. Maybe you can share with him? Haha

I think he was disagreeing with the OP so I think you are trouble free, this time!

Up in Vermont they won't even acknowledge that they have an Appalachian Trail. It's the Long trail, or is it the Wrong trail? I forget which.

Up in Vermont they won't even acknowledge that they have an Appalachian Trail. It's the Long trail, or is it the Wrong trail? I forget which.

While not as long as the AT the LT predates and inspired the creation of the AT. So yeah the AT is the LT from the Mass. border unitl Maine Jct. in Vermont. From there east and then north its the AT. Hell I lived in VT for seven years and wasn't "allowed" to call myself a Vermonter!
    -My feet are my only carriage so I've got to push on through-

Journal Entries

It's one trail through many lands and distinct micro-cultures, it's variety is part of it's beauty.

I would not like to see such standards or fed takeover and feel that sections where this happens lose something in the process.

What ever happened to appreciation of diversity?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    What ever happened to appreciation of diversity?
    maybe they should just pave the darn thing and add handrails?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++