WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Other People's Dogs

How do you deal with other people's unleashed dogs?
    I've been bitten, scratched, knocked down by unleashed dogs on various trails. I've tried not looking at them (I was told looking at a dog was a challenge). Swatting with my pole and all out yelling. 1 out of 4 times I'm confronted with bad dog people. The dog's person (when it finally gets there) always tells me it's the first time that's happened, their dog has never done that before. my 5yo was attacked when he was 2 (43 stiches) and won't get out of the car when I try to take them day hiking. In the state of CT it is illegal to have an unleashed dog in state parks & forests. People just ignore the signage.

Does anyone else have this problem? How do you handle it?

Wow, do you carry snausages in your pocket? I used to work at an animal hospital and took less of a beating.

I've tried freshly washed clothes in case I smelled like cat. I don't carry anything but a water bottle on short hikes in my town,still I get knocked down. The last time I went out 3 weekends ago I was jumped on and my pants ripped from thigh to just below my knee then 20 ft from my car I was knocked into the mud by 2 dogs. A guy putting his kids into their car dragged them off me.The owner was so far down the trail you couldn't see her from where we were. I rarely eat meat,so I don't know what smells so good.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I was on the trail in CT and had a black lab not on a leash charge me snarling and growling. The owner, a day hiker said "he never does that". I think with hikers it's a combination of the hiking sticks and backpack (and maybe the smell).
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I could give you some general advice, but something about your story doesn't add up. It is normal to encounter dogs on the trail and problems of the sort that you are describing are very rare. Either you have extremely bad luck or there is a god chance you are doing something that is actually setting the dogs off. If you are really having that much of a problem i would recomend seeking out a qualified dog trainer that would be willing to work with you, teach you how to interact with unfamiliar dogs and how to read their body language and how to understand how dogs read your body language. I'm not trying to say that it is your job to deal with other people's problem dogs, but knowing how to handle with these encounters will make your hike safer and more enjoyable.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Carry a small cannister of pepper spray when you have an issue with a dog and the owner don't seem to care, spray the dog he will back down, I also had really bad experiences with unleashed/ ill behaved dogs and the owners don't seem to care. pepper spray is how i deal with them and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Carry a small cannister of pepper spray when you have an issue with a dog and the owner don't seem to care, spray the dog he will back down, I also had really bad experiences with unleashed/ ill behaved dogs and the owners don't seem to care. pepper spray is how i deal with them and it works great.
    Don't forget to spray the dog owner as well. The owner needs to learn too.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Ditto with pepper spray. Use your hiking poles in the stabbing position rather than swatting.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

I love dogs and when I get to old to do long distance hiking I will get a dog. I have hiked the A.T. for the last 7 years and every year the only problems with animals are other peoples dogs. I was attacked last year by a dog who belonged to a guy giving out free samples of his dried food stuff. It turned out the dog was half blind and could not see me as human. There are no bad dogs just bad owners.

For every trail dog (it's usually a hunt dog) that wonders my I get the bear spray ready. No way am I taking chances with some strange dog when I'm miles in the wilderness.

Thinking about it, maybe you should just carry snausages. When a dog charges you, throw a couple off into the woods and hightail it outta there.

I have to say that if you're getting attacked that much, you are doing something to set the dogs off. I have encountered many, many loose dogs both on the trail and in the city, but only once has one of them tried to bite me -- and that was a pit bull wandering loose in my neighborhood.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

For me, its day hikers with dogs that I have had issues. Usually, when I approach them I stop and let them past.

Another question ! why do so many dog owners want their dog to visit every other dog that passes by ?
    Some are kind enough to ask 1st gives me time to say no ! my dog is great with people cats etc, just doesn't like other dogs.
    But the out of control owners with their out of control dogs, that let their dog run up to mine as if unleashed.
    And then act offended if I tell them to pull their dog in. " Oh he's just trying to be friendly" , and look at me as if I'm the one that's a jerk.
    Frequently these are also the dogs that bark and lunge out of control. So I step aside and we stay out of range.

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't let other peoples "possible actions" force me to do things outside of my normal hiking routine like carry pepper spray or anything else. I do carry trekking poles & a knife as my normal routine & I'm prepared to use them if I run into anyone or anything that is is threatening my safety. Sorry dog lovers, but if you're an irresponsible pet owner you must realize you're putting your dogs safety/life at risk anytime you allow it to run loose around others.

~peace~
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I could give you some general advice, but something about your story doesn't add up. It is normal to encounter dogs on the trail and problems of the sort that you are describing are very rare. Either you have extremely bad luck or there is a god chance you are doing something that is actually setting the dogs off.
    Agreed-perhaps we're getting trolled?

Journal Entries
    Images

I have found on the trail that dog owners seem to feel their dog is entitled to rub his wet nose on me and smell me, etc., and are offended when I try to keep the dog away. That being said it seems that you (panther-) have a unique problem. I would use pepper spray and it works VERY well. Just remember you only have to barely spray the dog and it will stop and retreat. I would save a full blow face spray for dogs that are really vicious, attacking dogs. This comes from my experience on the spray. As for an owner walking up a moment after you "spray" the dog and they are unawares of what happened . . . just keep on hiking and don't stop to explain. That would be my approach. Just remember though, it barely takes a little, teeeny, itty bitty bit of spray and I have found the dog retreats. However, I would not spray a dog for simply wanting to get a smell though.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Another question ! why do so many dog owners want their dog to visit every other dog that passes by ? Some are kind enough to ask 1st gives me time to say no ! my dog is great with people cats etc, just doesn't like other dogs...
    When I'm walking my dog, he will always want to say hi to other dogs. I will let him get close, but it will be very obvious if the other dog is going to be friendly or not. If not, I pull ours back and keep moving. If the other owner wants to keep moving, likewise I don't give enough slack to allow an encounter. If the other owner also stops, then the dogs get to say "hi".

Quote Originally Posted by pantherose View Post
    How do you deal with other people's unleashed dogs?
    I've been bitten, scratched, knocked down by unleashed dogs on various trails. I've tried not looking at them (I was told looking at a dog was a challenge). Swatting with my pole and all out yelling. 1 out of 4 times I'm confronted with bad dog people. The dog's person (when it finally gets there) always tells me it's the first time that's happened, their dog has never done that before. my 5yo was attacked when he was 2 (43 stiches) and won't get out of the car when I try to take them day hiking. In the state of CT it is illegal to have an unleashed dog in state parks & forests. People just ignore the signage.

Does anyone else have this problem? How do you handle it?
    This is just too funny. First post...about multiple dog attacks...just too funny. But the catch has been pretty good. About 13 keepers lol

Images

I love dogs and most dogs on the trail are well behaved, but some just aren't. Just like kids that misbehave, where the parents live in denial that their kid is a little brat (sorry some are), some dog owners are the same way.

We were out with our scouts hiking past Washington Monument in MD a couple of months ago. We stopped to have lunch at the monument. The scouts were sitting around eating their sandwiches when a dog comes running up the trail unleashed and grabs a sandwich right of the bench where the scout set it to get his water bottle. The dog then started going after other scouts food. We chased it off with no more sandwich losses. The owners come walking up the trail, and we tell them their dog stole a sandwich and their response was anger at us for feeding their dog and yelling at it. Still no leash.

A couple minutes later another dog comes running up the trail (no leash) and the dogs start fighting, the new dog owners show up and they pull the dags apart. Then both owners start fighting about whose dog was at fault. It was like watching a comedy act.

Dogs are great, some owners are not. Although, I never had an owner pee on my tent

To answer the OPs question: Dogs smell fear and if the dog is dominant they will react. Not making excuses for the owners, but you can control some of these situations by letting go of your fear.
    Last edited by bfayer; 02-10-2014 at 12:10.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++