WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Default Another one of those "stupid ultra-lite" ideas I recently heard about........

So some people don't carry toilet paper, others drink as much water as possible in the morning so they don't have to carry any, while others go stoveless, etc.

Here's a new one: A hiker that was concerned about the weight of his prescription plastic frames, so he got a new pair of frameless glasses just to lose the ounces he would be carrying on his face.

Really?!! LMAOROTF!!! The sensibilities of losing/reducing the weight you carry never seems to end.

Journal Entries

This is pushing Ultra-lite backpacking to its limits. LOL
    Blackheart

LOL

Here's one: How about using dental floss as a substitute for shoe laces?
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Might as well get a few teeth pulled, too. I mean do you really need all those teeth for gorp? Think of the ozs. you'll save!

Journal Entries

Better get an enema and clean the old pipes out while you're at it. For some people this could mean pounds lost cause they are so full of it.
    Blackheart

I've been wondering how much weight I can save if I bleach the color out of my gear.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Almost as funny as the traditional backpacker who brought a 4 season tent in the mid-Atlantic during summer! Or the traditional backpacker who brought a hatchet during open flame bans? or packed 5 pairs of socks for a weekend trip?

Craaaazy!

I'm beginning to think our friend from Montana's has this definition of stupid: "If I don't do it..it must be a stupid idea".
    Last edited by Mags; 02-11-2014 at 17:37.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries

hiker deleted apps from their smartphone they don't use everyday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Zing!

Sent from my Hammock.
    Using Tapatalk

The idea that one can reduce weight by drinking as much as they can is just ludicrous. You're still carrying that weight, it just happens to be in your stomach, kidneys, or bladder instead of your water container.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

The enema thing !!
    You could easily rig an enema tube to attach to a Platy bag. 1 to 1 1/2 L is standard.
    A few drops of camp soap , and you're good to go !!
    (pun intended)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I'm beginning to think our friend from Montana's has this definition of stupid: "If I don't do it..it must be a stupid idea".
    Very well said, Mags... I'm sooooooo tempted to add to this, but I'll resist....

Easiest and best way to save a few ounces is to leave the cellular telephone.

Tanking up at water sources didn't start with nor is it relegated to the UL hiking philosophy and its' not always done to avoid carrying water. Yes, I choose to not carry TP NOT because I'm seeking to save wt or volume. I simply do it because I feel it's not necessary FOR ME to carry white sheets of leaves. Nor, was it, or is it, still necessary in some cultures. Doesn't always have to do with hiking. The whole woods is bursting at the seams with TP. They are called leaves, sticks, smooth rounded rocks, handfulls of grass or ferns, moss, etc.!

I've tried replacing those awfully heavy regular shoe laces with dental floss. It sucks trying to tie and untie dental floss which is made worse if your hands are cold. Yeah, I'm one of those UL nut cases who has weighed shoe laces. The wt savings by replacing reg shoe laces with dental floss is insignificant IMHO. BUT, before we think how UL stupid this is for individual ULers that's exactly what several running shoe manufacturers have done - go to lighter wt thinner laces(but with more grip) - like Salomon with their speed lacing pull tab system w/ micro laces.

The eye glass no frames simply to save wt seems a bit much but I feel we aren't getting the whole story. Perhaps, that choice was made while factoring in other considerations like how easy eyeglass frames get bent and broken especially during hiking. I know I've broken many a sunglass frames while hiking and that's with spring loaded frames and always using sunglasses with a neck cord so I can hang them from around my neck.

While I know we can pt fingers at someone else's hiking style and gear choices why do we feel the need to be so concerned about what everyone else is doing? Some want to roll with frameless glasses/some don't, with/not with TP, with a cast iron frying pan, dental floss shoe laces, with a Ti widget, with a 5 lb Army sleeping bag, whatever as long as they aren't hurting someone else HYOH.

Ahhhh.....I just realized my eyeglass frames are titanium....Score!!!

I've worn rimless glasses for the last 25 years because they are light and I like the way they look. I've always gone stoveless since I started backpacking. Luckily I stumbled upon this thread and now know both of these things are stupid.

I'm so UL, I don't even hike! Look, in all seriousness, there's a lot of crap that just doesn't make sense...but, as Dogwood pointed out, there's also guys that carry the HEAVIEST stuff possible. I saw a guy that took the headband off of his headlamp to "save weight." Kind of defeats the purpose of the headlamp, doesn't it? Not to mention, it was a very large headlamp, errr, flashlight to begin with. I think my Princeton Tech Byte weighed like 2.5oz, with the batteries...how much lighter does it really need to be? But, remember, HYOH!

Wow, the floss as a shoe lace substitute was just a joke... Didn't think anyone actually did that. No offense intended!
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Here's a new one: A hiker that was concerned about the weight of his prescription plastic frames, so he got a new pair of frameless glasses just to lose the ounces he would be carrying on his face.
    Wouldn't he have done better if he just went with contacts... or better yet lasik surgery?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++