WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Sleeping bag? What would you buy?

Getting ready for the April hike and starting to think gear. I have a Kelty Cosmic Down 20 degree bag that weighs in at 2lbs and 11oz. Seems to work well. Hit a 19 degree Icy night last April in the GSMNP and it kept me semi warm as long as I moved once in a while.

Ok, here is the question, see that there are 23 oz bags that cost about 450.00/ is a pound worth the cost???? a pound is a lot, but 450.00 is a lot to me. I guess a Kelty is a rookie bag, but should I spend the monies???

See ya'll on the trail in April and May. HIKE ON!!

Miller

Only you can answer that question. And actually you're looking at saving around 20-25 oz, well over a lb - 43oz is where you're at, good quilt or Zpacks bag will be around 20oz. How old is your bag? If you've had it a while it may have lost some of its warmth.

I'm in debate with myself over whether to buy a new quilt or stick with my bag, which is a good one. I'm looking at about a 10oz savings. Is it worth it? Based on cost and can I afford it: probably not. But I have this habit of saving pocket change everyday I come home: every year I get myself a treat, so I just may do it. Where are you with the rest of your gear, is it all solid and ready to go?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heck yes the $450 is worth it. You recognized the first dilemma, which is weight, but you still have a second dilemma, compact-ability. That Kelty bag is pretty much the crappiest bag out there because it is filled with 550 down fill… means it's not going to compact like a 900 fill bag. What you need to look for when buying any down is the "fill." Higher the fill the better (in most cases.) I'm not going waste a lot of time explaining it out, you can either look it up or I'm sure there are others here just waiting to pounce on that answer. Either way, I don't buy a bag unless it's rated at 900 or 900+.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Just to throw another wrench in the works, assuming that you do most of your camping in three season conditions I would suggest that you consider buying an even lighter 30 or even 40 degree bag and then keeping the Kelty for shoulder season and winter trips (or better yet, investing in a zero degree bag as well) , having a bag for warmer conditions and a separate one for winter can save a lot of weight in your pack during the warmer months.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Just to throw another wrench in the works, assuming that you do most of your camping in three season conditions I would suggest that you consider buying an even lighter 30 or even 40 degree bag and then keeping the Kelty for shoulder season and winter trips (or better yet, investing in a zero degree bag as well) , having a bag for warmer conditions and a separate one for winter can save a lot of weight in your pack during the warmer months.
    Nice evolution of the thread STE. He should probably get a quilt… a 900 fill, 40deg quilt. At this rate his toilet paper is going to weigh more and take up more space than his choice of sleeping cover. Sure beats that medicine ball of a down bag that he's considering carrying.

just for reference I did a quick 30 look around and this is what I found. Campmor-> down sleeping bags. A MH Phantom 32 deg., 800 fill, 1lb 6oz.=$329. And I'm sure there are a ton more deals out there. Most people are not thru-hikers so they bought their winter bags before winter, that means a lot of bags will go on sale soon too. keep your eyes open.

Images

I agree, keep the warmer heavier bag for shoulder seasons and get a good light (<24 oz) 30 to 40 deg summer bag. Keep an eye out on ebay and gearseller and here at WB under gear for sale etc. Often you can pick up a good used or even new quality bag at a good price. I scored a new WM Caribou 35 deg for $200 by shopping around.

Images

Check out REI, I just picked up a big agnes bellyache mountain sl for $150 last month. It was priced at just over $300 regularly. I was super excited about the find. My girlfriend also got a Marmot Pinnacle for a little more. There was a whole container full of discounted past season sleeping bags for 50% off.

Images

I wouldn't spend $450 on a 20°F bag. At that rating I'd go with a quilt. I'd go with a bag if I wanted a lower rating though. So if I was in your place, I'd probably stick with the Kelty bag, while considering swapping it for a quilt.

Where are you seeing a 23 ounce 20°F bag? That's approaching quilt territory. The lightest regular size 20°F Western Mountaineering bag I see is 29 ounces.

Images

Jacks R Better Old Rag Mtn winter quilt "on sale"

10* up to 50* and 29 oz for only $259. Buy one today.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/old...ngular-quilts/

or buy a "large" quilt if you're a big guy or can't stand drafts
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

I'm a bag man myself at colder temperatures. One word: Western Mountaineering. You won't be disappointed.

If you have done some 2-4 day winter trips with your Kelty - and it fits in your pack with food and all your other gear - and you have been warm, why buy another bag? unless you have unlimited discretionary $, which most of us don't. yes, there are warmer, lighter, "better" bags. do you need one? no. Do we all want one or the latest and greatest? yes. distinguish between 'needs" and "wants". remember, 20 years ago that kelty bag would have been "state of the art". whether you start with 50 lbs. or 30 lbs. after the first month you don't think about it anymore imo.ymmv.

Images

This is just a though, but worth thinking about if money is an issue. You can get a Montbell Ul#5 on sale right now for about ~$200.

If you get that, you can start with both, doubling the MB with the Kelty till it starts warming up a little, bounce the MB up the trail to VA, then bounce the Kelty up to New England. This will give you an ultralight bag for the bulk of the tail while it's warm, but give you the warmth you need when it's cold at the start and finish.

I would not worry about the weight of the Kelty, carry a pint less water and save your money.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    I wouldn't spend $450 on a 20°F bag. At that rating I'd go with a quilt. I'd go with a bag if I wanted a lower rating though. So if I was in your place, I'd probably stick with the Kelty bag, while considering swapping it for a quilt.

Where are you seeing a 23 ounce 20°F bag? That's approaching quilt territory. The lightest regular size 20°F Western Mountaineering bag I see is 29 ounces.
    The bag I saw was a Feathered Friends Down Hummingbird 20 degree bag. About 450.00. I have been hiking in March, April and Late October, so the 20 degree seems to work well. HIKE ON!!!

Miller

If I could make my sleeping bag selection again, I would spend the extra money and go with the zPacks 20 degree. In my opinion, there are places to economize but trying to do so with sleeping bags isn't the ideal way to go about it.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

What about the durability of the fill. Since 900 fill is lighter is it also more fragile ? Leading to faster breakdown. Opposed to the 500 fill.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    What about the durability of the fill. Since 900 fill is lighter is it also more fragile ? Leading to faster breakdown. Opposed to the 500 fill.
    Quality down last about forever if well cared for so I wouldn't worry about it. I have down stuff from the 70s that is still as good as new. 900 fill may not last as long as 500 fill, but that probably means it will last 20 years instead of 30 years.

In my opinion, the shell fabric is a much bigger issue as far as longevity is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Many Moons View Post
    The bag I saw was a Feathered Friends Down Hummingbird 20 degree bag. About 450.00. I have been hiking in March, April and Late October, so the 20 degree seems to work well. HIKE ON!!!

Miller
    Just a note since not sure on your body type, the hummingbird is a narrow cut. I have had a ff swallow which is a slightly wider version of the hummingbird; adds about 4 oz to the weight. To do again, I'd get a 20 degree quilt, lots of good makers out there; enlightened equip, katabatic, nunatek, underground quilts, .....

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I'm a bag man myself at colder temperatures. One word: Western Mountaineering. You won't be disappointed.
    Agreed! I've had my 30 degree Megalite down into the low twenties many times and stayed warm. It weighs 1lb 8 oz.

I spent $200 on a 10 degree quilt from Enlightened Equipment....total weight is 29.5oz with 3 oz overstuff.

For the AT in the spring and fall I think that a 20 degree bag is more than enough, particularly if you use a sleep system that includes clothing.
    Last edited by Weather-man; 02-12-2014 at 14:32.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++