WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
    I just ordered the Ultra Pure from Amazon $4o. Weight 3.7oz.

You know it's 3.7oz for each shoe...which is still light. Even lighter (about 3 oz each) if you take out the liners (if you have the ultra pure, I don't think they come with liners). I just got mine today. :-)
    Last edited by QHShowoman; 02-21-2014 at 22:47.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

It's common to find reefwalkers here in Hawaii. They don't have to be more than $20 -25 either. I bought a size 13, all mesh top, hard but flexible rubber like sole coating, 4 0z wt for the pr, at a WalMart in HI for $6. They look similar to this but prolly half the wt. Mine weigh under 5 oz in size XL.

I sometimes hike in sandals and, at other times, largely in trail runners, and once in camp I'm in my sleeping bag within 15-20 mins so I feel little use for a separate walking around camp shoe when long distance hiking. If car camping while mixing in some hikes or beach combing or expecting many rocky bottomed cold water fords I'm more inclined to carry camp/fording reefwalkers.

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    I just got a pair of Vivobarefoot Ultra shoes from Steepandcheap for use as camp shoes as well. They only weigh about 6 ounces (for the pair), without the liner. They're made of a croc-like material, so they're water proof and quick drying, so they can be used for water crossings as well as trail shoes. And since they're sturdy enough for running, I can hike in them if I need to.
    QHS, I really believe you will be happy with them. While not as comfortable as crocs (thinner bottoms) they are so much lighter. I use them for water crossings, camp and town shoes. With all the rain I had last summer I was really glad to have something else to put on at night while I took off my trail runners to dry. And if you watch for sales you can get them on sell (recently bought 2nd pair for $17.50).
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    QHS, I really believe you will be happy with them. While not as comfortable as crocs (thinner bottoms) they are so much lighter. I use them for water crossings, camp and town shoes. With all the rain I had last summer I was really glad to have something else to put on at night while I took off my trail runners to dry. And if you watch for sales you can get them on sell (recently bought 2nd pair for $17.50).
    regarding the thinner bottoms, just take your insoles out of your shoes and throw them in their for a little extra cushion.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    Crocs, UGH. Crocs scream "I never want to get laid again," especially if you're a guy. Ugly, heavy, and far surpassed by many other choices. Crocs are fat-old-person-gardening-shoes.
    Sorry, I'm 52, trimmer than most 22 year olds, told I'm handsome, and I wear Crocs... the man makes the clothing, not the reverse

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++