WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Any body planning on being in this area this weekend? I don't plan on putting in serious miles but I'd like to get some snow camping in so I think im gonna do a 1 nighter. If I go, ill provide an update after for others who might be interested.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Any body planning on being in this area this weekend? I don't plan on putting in serious miles but I'd like to get some snow camping in so I think im gonna do a 1 nighter. If I go, ill provide an update after for others who might be interested.
    I am pondering heading into the snow this weekend maybe for an overnighter. Likely a bit north near Duncannon.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I am pondering heading into the snow this weekend maybe for an overnighter. Likely a bit north near Duncannon.
    Does anybody know the current trail conditions for this area? I was looking to do ~100 mile section hike from Front Royal to Pen Mar park, but I'm slightly concerned about the weather and ice.

Do the 4 state challenge !

Ha tempting, but with the shorter days in March + ice it might be tough. A few years ago I was running pretty high mileage, and think I could have done the 4 state challenge without much of a problem. I'm still in decent running shape, but not quite as good as then, so was just looking to do 20 mile days in non-icy conditions. Obviously snow and ice would slow me down somewhat.

I hiked in SNP this past weekend and the conditions were fine. I also hiked in the Linden area two weeks ago and there was ~18 inches of snow. That snow should be melted by now. Keep an eye on the weather as we might get some snow early next week.

I cannot say closeup, but today I was still able to see snow on South Mountain north of Black Rock in Maryland. (viewing from the valley below).
    --
    EJS
    (Ed. S)

Depending on where you are, there will likely still be some snow. I hiked last Saturday just south of Harper's Ferry and there were points on the trail where I was post-holing in nearly a foot of snow...despite it being close to 60* out.

Images

Still spots that the snow hasn't melted and more expected on Sunday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

Thanks folks for the responses. Given the snow forecast for Sunday night/monday, I think I'll have better luck going farther south to southern Virginia (or Smokies if I can get a permit quickly). I talked to a ranger at SNP over the phone, and it sounds like there's ~6 inches of snow around there currently. I'd rather not be postholing for the majority of my trip.

I'm looking to go anywhere south of PA, and it looks like the temps and weather are much milder the farther south I go, even at higher elevations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++