WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I asked about flavoring pasta and rice. Then they said I should eat more protein and fat and I explained why I think that's not right. I wrote a post about gear and one sentence about my diet and most of the responses are about my diet? I made the OP because I'd like feedback on my gear. If people want to talk about something besides my gear, why can't I say I don't want to continue talking about that one detail and that I'd like to talk more about gear?

Quote Originally Posted by kidben View Post
    Is the extra space worth an extra 2 lbs? 1 person tent is about 3 lbs and 2 person tent is about 5 lbs.
    Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 is 2lb 2oz. Many other options that may even be lighter albeit much more expensive than your choice. Key is if it works for you stay with it. I only threw out what I like to show you that every person will have a different comfort level. But to answer your question, yes, the extra space is worth the weight for me.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

What's a good tent? Should I choose a different one?
    Can't say. I use a tarp with bug net or hammock these days. Lots of folks here like Tarptents and Lightheart Gear tents and some others. But just from experience when I used small tents, if you can't sit up in it and can't bring your pack and gear inside with you, it's a real PIA especially in bad weather when you most need it. When your tent comes if you don't like it return it. You've still got a month to work out details. Check here everyday on WB in the Selling Used Gear Forum - there have been several tents like these sold recently. There's always ebay as well. Make sure though that you seam seal (McNett SilNet) any tent that doesn't have taped seams before using it.

I asked about flavoring pasta and rice. Then they said I should eat more protein and fat and I explained why I think that's not right. I wrote a post about gear and one sentence about my diet and most of the responses are about my diet? I made the OP because I'd like feedback on my gear. If people want to talk about something besides my gear, why can't I say I don't want to continue talking about that one detail and that I'd like to talk more about gear?
    I asked all those questions because I needed to know the parameters. Braggs liquid amino is great for flavoring rice and quinoa. Also healthier than soy sauce....

You never said if you have a dehydrator.... If you do then I'd cook and dehydrate some garbanzo beans and then crush them up. Add garlic and whatever else you like. You can add that mix to the pot when you're cooking up your quinoa.

I can still cancel the tent I ordered before it ships. If you're all wet can you still bring all your gear into your tent? I have money to get a better tent if I needed to but I'm not sure. Is the extra space and lighter weight worth the high price? I like to be comfortable but I also like things that are functional and economic.

What's a good tent? Should I choose a different one?
    One last thought. You may stay in shelters virtually every night. If this is the case then your choice may be perfect. Just in case shelters are full you would have your tent as a backup.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Oh, and I never said you should eat more protein and fat. I talked in terms of what's considered healthier.

I'm sorry if you felt attacked. I'm sure you get a lot of flack over your diet. I am just trying to help through questions and friendly conversation.

I didn't realize you meant brags for flavor, but I don't consider protein isolate healthy. I don't have a dehydrator but that's a cool idea with the garbanzo beans!

No, it's fine. Everyone has such different opinions about food it's hard to have a normal conversation.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    One last thought. You may stay in shelters virtually every night. If this is the case then your choice may be perfect. Just in case shelters are full you would have your tent as a backup.
    Quite true. Many who start out thinking or saying they will not stay in shelters find them all too convenient. Quite a few of people hate AT shelters for a variety of reasons - mice, snoring, hard floors, cold, etc. But they have many things going for them: they are there already set up and ready to go, they're dry, they're safer than a tent in windy weather (falling branches and trees) and/or electrical storms, usually near a water supply and privy and fire ring, offer a place to cook out of the wind and rain, and many people (not all) enjoy the social aspect as well. If a tent is carried only as a back-up, then yes, almost anything will do.

I imagine spending a lot of nights in shelters and a lot in a tent. With functionality and pricing as priorities it doesn't seem to make sense to spend a lot more on a ultralight and more spacious tent. A one person tent just seems like a no brainer. Maybe I'll try out the Eureka Solitaire in my backyard for a few nights. It's cold and wet here in DC so if I'm comfortable here I shouldn't have to worry about it on the trail.

Why not for $69. That's a great price.

Not much of a loss if you don't like it.

I think I’m going to leave the swiss card at home and only take one t shirt. I’ll try to find a trash compactor bag to use as a liner(I have the Osprey 65 which has a divider at the bottom. Should everything be in the trash compactor or should I maybe put the dry sacks of food or clothes under the divider at the bottom of the bag?) I think I'll try out the Solitaire for sure. One of the reviews says "I thru-hiked the 2,655 mile Pacific Crest Trail." (in the $69 tent!) One of the last things I'm wondering about is will the pocket rocket stove workout?

Also I'm wondering don't most people think a pair of camp shoes is a good idea? It seems like a good idea to take a pair of light flip flops to walk around with in my injini liners in camp. When I have my final list I'd like to calculate exactly what all my gear cost me (I bought and resold a lot of stuff because I was dumb) and maybe post a video.

I always use camp shoes. In the pm giving my dogs cool air is heaven. I _had_ hard sole moccasins (evolved to them after trying several other sets) and now have a pair of shoes for kayakers. Don't recall the brand.
    I found I needed hard soles to protect, water proof to shed the morning dew and light weight. Also if the fit is loose I can put them on over socks. So I'm looking for goretex or neoprene booties to wear with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Good camp shoes have been pointed out /discussed at length in another thread; the faves seem to be the vivobarefoot ultra pure as posted by hikerboy57. I picked up a par on amazon for $40. 7.2 oz for the pair I have, good for camp, water xings if you want....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Eureka solitaire, and hate it to be honest. I'm around 6' tall. Have taken it on two separate 2-nighters. There is not really room for your gear inside, and the vestibules are insanely small. I was so cramped inside it that moving around made my legs cramp up. There is literally no room to move, I felt like I was in a coffin honestly. But, just one man's opinion...

Journal Entries

I'm not on this forum to talk nutrition. I'd just like help with my gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I suggest ZPacks, http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid.shtml 15.9 oz. I have the SoloPlus and love it. Plenty of room.
    Happy Trails
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Should I get one of these? I'm a afraid it's too heavy.

http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaine...wo+person+tent

Maybe a one person tent with a vestibule.

But... $69 isn't much of a loss if you don't like the first tent! Maybe try it out and if you can't stand it you can always switch it out while on the trail....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++