Thread: Bugs in Feb.

Default Bugs in Feb.

Are bugs ie Mosquitos & ticks a problem in Feb. in the ONF?

Images

We did ONF in early March, and while there were a few bugs, it wasn't bad. The locals had all kinds of stories about bugs later in the spring

Edit: I'd still want a tent and not a tarp, or some sort of bug protection at night.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

This past weekend I was just north of the ONF, Etoniah State Forest to Buckman Lock. I swatted a few mosquitoes and scraped off one thing that I'm pretty sure was a tick, but had so much debris from splashing through muck its hard to say.

They are greatly reduced but still present.

Also, if ground temps are above 60 degrees, chiggers will be active.
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

Thanks! I usually treat my clothes with permethrin. Just wanted to make sure it was necessary!

Any time the temps. are above 50* there will be a problem with ticks. Not so much with mosquitoes

Journal Entries

Depends on the weather. I grew up in Fla, was home from college one Christmas break in January and took the dog out for a walk in the woods.
    My parents house had white carpet in much of the house. Found 42 ticks on the dog, and on the carpet . Small,flat, didnt attach.

Journal Entries
    Images

Mosquitoes transmit Encephalitis, several boy scouts have died from this local to me in PA .Lyme disease is from small Deer ticks. Deer Ticks need two blood meals to get from a egg to an adult Deer Tick, from a mouse or two. (yes that can be shelter mice).. yes it happens... now what are you going to do? (wear Deep Woods Off is the answer....) Now what is with the orange glow on this page?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Orange glow is for the orange blazes that are used on the Florida Trail, the forum that you're on. The PCT forum has a blue glow, etc..
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

Here in Tampa I pull ticks off the dogs just about everyday and almost always swat a few mosquitos at dusk, even in Jan and Feb. On the colder days their presence is much less and can be absent.
    That's the uniqueness of FL....it can be in the 30's one day and then back in the 70's the next. On the warmer days in the winter the bugs will be out though not in force. Once the rainy season hits and the weather warms up they'll carry you away.

++ New Posts ++