WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Do you think the white blazes should be changed to a different color?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    You gotta be kidding....
    My thoughts exactly. If the whiteblaze is that much of a challenge for a hiker, perhaps hiking is not something you should be doing alone. "here's your sign."

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I think the thread is past of point of getting serious -- but what if we could get in a time machine and go back to when the AT was just finished. It has no history. We have no memories. We are getting ready to paint the first blaze. Knowing what we know now about paint and its various properties -- would we still choose white?
    Well you see, back in 1918 when they started making the Long Trail (of which the AT is just an extention of), The GMC asked around thier members if anyone had any paint they could donate to blaze the trail with. One old farmer stood up and said "I have a big bucket of white paint in my barn you can have" and that is why the blazes are white
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    Is tradition more important?
    I always suspected that the hiker community were a bunch of freakin' conservatives and now your poll results prove that

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I always suspected that the hiker community were a bunch of freakin' conservatives and now your poll results prove that
    Not so! I'm a Yellow Dog and will always be so!

orange has my vote .
    or maybe smiley face stickers!!

I think we should go back to tin.

[QUOTE=Siarl;1849111]Greens will blend with the natural color of the forest and grass during the spring and summer./QUOTE]

Believe it or not we have a trail in southern Indiana that is Green-blazed. Very hard to find when they get a a year or two old.

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

I vote dark brown for northbounders and dark green for southbounders.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy Morocco View Post
    I vote dark brown for northbounders and dark green for southbounders.
    Thats a great idea. A lot of hikers leave the shelter and walk the wrong way. Maybe the "blaze" should actually be a capital N and a capital S.

Can we use satellite technology to beam down a blaze directly on the trail itself like they do at football games when they superimpose that first down line on the field? Even if it snowed the blaze would be on top of the snow.

virtual blazes on google glasses, leave no trace

I think it should be Blazed Orange, but their is a short section in NH that is Yellow Blazed.

i vote we just randomly start renegade blazing all colors, all over the place. meander off the trail with pink blazes, watch the guys trot along. really mess things up. that'll show who the real hikers are

Images

Clearly the only way to settle this argument is to paint Rainbow blazes on the AT. The different colored stripes should stand out against any conditions. Even better, they could use reflective rainbows for blazes, that should really snaz up the trail. In addition to being well marked the blazes could become symbol of the diversity of our hiking community and a welcoming sign for hikers of every stripe.

I just did a search and while RainbowBlaze.com is already taken, RainbowBlaze.net is available. Perhaps the administrators should grab this domain while they still can.

you mean like the gay flag?! i'm down with that, it'll be hilarious fun!

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Gee, I always thought it went from GA to ME. Learn something new every day!

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    Blue, make them Blue. I like blueblazing
    I blueblaze anyways...
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

If you can't find your way on the AT, and can get lost, then you shouldn't be on it, especially in the winter time.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Journal Entries

When I first read this, thought it was exactly on spot with my bio-dad's view on life, which is anything he personally sees as wrong or even a potential issue, is a world problem which he only can see and only he has a solution to, even thpough no none else has a problem with. He has also the habit of manufacturing problems, coming up with solutions for all contingencies then praising himself infront of all he can that he came up with the solution, even though he invented the very problem.

If that fits you I would ask that you review your request (and if you have any apologize to your bio-children for inventing non-issues in their life that only you can solve - you are the problem in that case).

As a long time hiker I would say that white is one of the best blazes that stand the test of time and hiker recognition. Someone suggested pink, which they opined would get the gay hikers more active, I don't know if that would happen but if the pink blazes got more females to hike that would be a big plus, adding more gay hikers means less competition for the females, a bigger plus yet, if that's all it takes then lets pink blaze every trail. But to that last statement I have heard that pink is actually the most reconsiable color in the wilderness and suggesting that hunter saftey color should be pink - not going to happen, unles that get's more females into it, and perhaps more gays which limit competition, viscous circle continues.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++