WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ULA Catalyst ?

Default ULA Catalyst ?

I would like opinions on the ULA catalyst. I watch the reviews on Youtube and I like the way it looks and it seems like a good pack. I want to know what people who have used it think about it.

Images

Great pack, love mine, but without knowing what you are going to use it for we can't say much more than that.

For a thru hike of the AT, maybe a little on the big size. For hiking with a family where you carry a little more gear than normal, size is about right. For long distance winter hiking north of the 45th parallel, a little on the small size.

ULA makes great packs, just buy the one that meets your needs.

The only thing I don't like about mine is it does not like to stand up on it's own when loaded, but I hike in the woods so I just use a tree

I have one and like it. Rides well.
    It is pretty large like bfayer mentioned. It wouldn't be my choice for an AT thru.
    I use it on long trips with no resupply or to carry cold weather gear.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

It is my "heavy hauler" pack of choice.

I wrote a review of it if you are curious:
    http://www.pmags.com/ula-catalyst-review
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I will using it for weekend and week long section hikes. I have my gear, food and water at 39 lbs. I currently use an osprey atoms.

I used one on the CDT and GDT. I liked it a lot. On both hikes I had heavy food or water carries, and it carried that weight well.

Images

I have Catalyst and Circuit.
    I consider them near enough to identical, the Catalyst is a bit bigger and supposedly fits a bear canister sideways so worth considering if you intend to hike in the east.
    I love both packs and have no intention to change.
    Having said that, if you have issues with your back getting sweaty, get an Osprey.
    You sweat with all packs but the Osprey definitely keeps better ventilation on your back.
    The extra weight is offset by it carrying the load better with a better frame.

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    I consider them near enough to identical, the Catalyst is a bit bigger and supposedly fits a bear canister sideways so worth considering if you intend to hike in the east.
    Having said that, if you have issues with your back getting sweaty, get an Osprey.
    You sweat with all packs but the Osprey definitely keeps better ventilation on your back.
    OzJacko... yes- you're here! Whoops... sorry my friend.. carry on!

Images

I chose a catalyst. Not because of weight but because of volume. I have a hammock system that takes up a lot of volume although fairly lightweight. I'm also transitioning from a military pack to lightweight pack, so I figure the catalyst will offer the volume I'm used to with the lightweight I'm trying to move to. I'm happy with my choice and the feedback I'm getting from ULA as a company as a whole really sold me on their packs.

Images

Love my ULA Circuit
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

it is a most wonderful pack! Light enough to make the cut and durable to last. All that being said I just bought an ARC blast to save a pound.

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Love my catalyst and yes you can fit a canister in sideways

Journal Entries
    Images

I used it on CDT last year (2013). Sometimes I had 7 liters of water in with everything else. I really like how you can adjust it and it is fit for your back and all. I am taking it this year on my thru hike of CDT (2014). I only hiked up through Silver City and beyond a ways, enough to know I wish to use it again. It is a very good system for me.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

I have an Ohm and Catalyst which are good up to 20 lbs and 30 lbs respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    I agree……….

I love my Catalyst. I have used it for about three years. The waist belt is very comfortable. The mesh outer pocket is nice to use for things you like to be able to get quickly or often. My tent can fit there if it is wet. I like to carry my water bottles on the pack straps for easy access and distributes the load off the back. My weight is about 35 pounds with six days of food.

I am also very happy with my Catalyst. Bought it last year and used it for 4 weeks on the AT. Agree with the comments above and glad it is made in the USA. ULA provides great customer service. Base weight at 15 pounds, so I am usually carrying around 20-30 pounds.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Images

I love mine. Got it when he was still sewing them in his garage. Carries comfortably
    My name is Tabasco and I approve this message.

Catalyst and Ohm 2.0 for my wife and I. The Catalyst is a beast. Great pack

I have to disagree with the majority. I used a catalyst for 400 mile of backpacking last year but ended up getting rid of it. I found the suspension/hipbelt to be very very uncomfortable so the point where I could not use it. The culprit is the lumbar area. The back of the pack narrows to the point where the hipbelt velcros in behind the foam padding. The stays terminate here as well. The lumbar area is very pronounced relative to the hipbelt and is very hard and dense. The hipbelt/lumbar area do not wrap around in a nice even way to distribute the pressue. When you tighten up the hipbelt you have this hard mass jammed into the small of your back that ends of with most of the weight on it. The way the hipbelt is attached it was hard to really get the weight onto the hips vs the lumbar region of your back. I found this to be extremely uncomfortable as I have sensitive lower back. I seem to be in the minority as most people rave about them. It reminded me of the gregory z series packs that I can't use for the same reason. I currently use either an osprey aether 70 or a granite gear crown vc 60. Both work much better as the hipbelt contours much, much better with the lumbar region, evening out the pressure around your back and hips. I wanted to like the pack, it is made in the usa and the customer service is great but at the end of the day I don't think the hipbelt/suspension is very well desinged or thought out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++