Default Myakka Hiking Trail

So apparently there is still hope for hiking in Florida! I rarely find a trail that is worth hiking down here but there are the diamonds out there in the Florida rough! Highly recommended! I only did about 13 miles of the loop but I loved every minute of it! This can't be the only trail worth hiking in Florida, though. Any suggestions? I live in SW Florida I'd prefer it to be within a three or four hour drive from me. I'm looking specifically for long day hikes; 10+ miles. Thanks!
    "Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still." ~Carl Sagan~

The Ocala National Forest portion of the Florida Trail is a great hike, only 3 hours north of you, and you can make it as long as you like, although its not a loop. The hike through the Green Swamp East and West,also on the Florida Trail, is one of my favorites, thats only 2 hours 20 minutes from you. At only an hours and 50 minutes theres the Lake Wales Ridge State Forest which has the Paula Dockery Trail that follows a fast flowing stream and has some ups and downs. Which type of trails don't you like? I mean other than road hikes, which everyone hates.
    Last edited by lilricky; 02-15-2014 at 19:07.
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by lilricky View Post
    The Ocala National Forest portion of the Florida Trail is a great hike, only 3 hours north of you, and you can make it as long as you like, although its not a loop. The hike through the Green Swamp East and West,also on the Florida Trail, is one of my favorites, thats only 2 hours 20 minutes from you. At only an hours and 50 minutes theres the Lake Wales Ridge State Forest which has the Paula Dockery Trail that follows a fast flowing stream and has some ups and downs. Which type of trails don't you like? I mean other than road hikes, which everyone hates.
    I'm looking for natural Florida. The hikes don't have to be loops but I'd prefer that they not include much road walking. I don't mind doing a little wading but I'd rather it not be the entire hike. The beautiful thing about Myakka is that the trail traverses several habitats. I love pine flatwoods, scrub and oak hammocks. Cypress hammocks are fun, also, as long as they aren't too wet.
    "Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still." ~Carl Sagan~

Check out the Florida Hikes website (floridahikes.com). It has hikes all over Florida, including backpacking trips. If you have questions, Sandy is very helpful with information.

my cousin lives down there, be careful. the myakka river skunk ape, man you think i smell get a load of him

Once again Spirit Walker hits the nail on the head - floridahikes.com - That's a great Fla hiking website. Combine that with the Florida Trail site and NOT forgetting the OTHER TRAILS Tab link there and you have 1000's of trail miles in FL to hike and wander.

I'll definitely take a look at that website! Thanks! I didn't even think about asking Sandy Friend. I'm actually Facebook friends with her so maybe I'll shoot her a quick note!

I know Myakka well and have hiked most of it...the nice thing about it is the trails intersect in so many places you can put together a trip anywhere from a couple miles to 30 or more. A word of caution though...do not drink the water from the pitcher pump at Bee Island...an oldtimer who helped build the trails there told me that there is a pit nearby that was used to dip cattle in an arsenic bath in order to keep the bugs off of them and he suspects the well is contaminated. If you go in August much of the trail will be flooded in some parts, but there won't be anybody else out there. Its been awhile since I've been there but a few years back they had a serious wild hog problem so you want to make sure you hang your food at night.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjohnson2043 View Post
    So apparently there is still hope for hiking in Florida! I rarely find a trail that is worth hiking down here but there are the diamonds out there in the Florida rough! Highly recommended! I only did about 13 miles of the loop but I loved every minute of it! This can't be the only trail worth hiking in Florida, though. Any suggestions? I live in SW Florida I'd prefer it to be within a three or four hour drive from me. I'm looking specifically for long day hikes; 10+ miles. Thanks!
    I live in Sarasota I made up a nice hike starting in the park the end is at boarder road in Venice. About 15 miles. I get dropped off at the trailhead west of the main entrance and hike south take the first trail to the left and follow the lower lake down to the gators hole. You cross the river and keep going around the lake for about 1000 yards then head south into the woods you will pick up another trail that will take you to the lower dam that's where I camp. Continue south to bourder road. Buy a map at the office there 3 bucks and show the whole area to Venice. There is no water.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Check out you local water management district. You live in one of the better recreaction land holders.

https://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

To correct myself you live in my district, http://www.sfwmd.gov/portal/page/por...ing/recreation.

But Myakka is in the Southwest District.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

You need to check out hillsborough river state park great trails. There is a 3 mile loop and another 7 mile I think. Great place to Paddle also. There ate small rapids. Pm me if you wanna hook up and do some hiking or kayaking

If you're ever in the Gainesville area be sure to check out San Felasco Hammock, near Devil's Millhopper - absolutely beautiful.

I just did the twenty mile northern loop of the Citrus Trail (Loops A and B) on Friday! Another great trail! Unfortunately a fire had ripped through the area a little while back so much of the forest was in ashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Toon View Post
    I live in Sarasota I made up a nice hike starting in the park the end is at boarder road in Venice. About 15 miles. I get dropped off at the trailhead west of the main entrance and hike south take the first trail to the left and follow the lower lake down to the gators hole. You cross the river and keep going around the lake for about 1000 yards then head south into the woods you will pick up another trail that will take you to the lower dam that's where I camp. Continue south to bourder road. Buy a map at the office there 3 bucks and show the whole area to Venice. There is no water.

When I was a student at University of S. Florida, I would do an urban hike/walk along Sarasota Bay from the campus in Sarasota, stopping first at Ringling Museum of Art, walking to the bay( some cool benches and big trees with bay views as well as art pieces on the grounds and neat architecture), along side streets(N. Shore, Sun Circle, S Shore Rds) to Sapphire Shores Pk(small park w benches and shade right on the Bay), along Bay Shore Rd, along Tamiami Tr(Hwy41) to Whittaker Park(have lunch here on the bay, some nice trees and places to sit), could also have lunch at Centennial Pk(it was always busier though) or the park across the street from Centennial Pk, Pioneer Pk(it has a small lake, trees, tables, shade, water). South of there I would pick up a paved pedestrian walk way either taking it across the Ringling Causeway across Sarasota Bay to Bay Front Pk(or Mote Marine Laboratory) on LongBoat/St Alamnds Key OR continue on the walkway to Marie Selby Gardens and wander the Gardens. I used to work as a volunteer at Marie Selby Gardens so got in free. I bicycled this route as well. Beautiful urban bike ride or long walk. There's a bus that I could take to Marie Selby Gardens and walk back to the campus or reverse it taking the bus back to the campus after the walk. Bring sunscreen. Plenty of opp for eats and water along the way.

Images

I just did the twenty mile northern loop of the Citrus Trail (Loops A and B) on Friday! Another great trail! Unfortunately a fire had ripped through the area a little while back so much of the forest was in ashes.

I was out there on the C loop in January and they were doing some controlled burning. It was an interesting experience to hike through a smoldering forest. I've hiked quite a few trails in Florida and I can safely say that the whole Citrus Loop is worth the drive.

Also agree with Toon about Hillsborough River SP. The Old Fort King Trail connects to the park and offers a very pleasant couple of miles through the flood plains of the river. Some beautiful old trees and great views. Check out this site: http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recrea...lsborough.html

The hike from Hillsborough River State Park into Dead River Park and along the forested area of the Old Fort King Trail is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    When I was a student at University of S. Florida, I would do an urban hike/walk along Sarasota Bay from the campus in Sarasota, stopping first at Ringling Museum of Art, walking to the bay( some cool benches and big trees with bay views as well as art pieces on the grounds and neat architecture), along side streets(N. Shore, Sun Circle, S Shore Rds) to Sapphire Shores Pk(small park w benches and shade right on the Bay), along Bay Shore Rd, along Tamiami Tr(Hwy41) to Whittaker Park(have lunch here on the bay, some nice trees and places to sit), could also have lunch at Centennial Pk(it was always busier though) or the park across the street from Centennial Pk, Pioneer Pk(it has a small lake, trees, tables, shade, water). South of there I would pick up a paved pedestrian walk way either taking it across the Ringling Causeway across Sarasota Bay to Bay Front Pk(or Mote Marine Laboratory) on LongBoat/St Alamnds Key OR continue on the walkway to Marie Selby Gardens and wander the Gardens. I used to work as a volunteer at Marie Selby Gardens so got in free. I bicycled this route as well. Beautiful urban bike ride or long walk. There's a bus that I could take to Marie Selby Gardens and walk back to the campus or reverse it taking the bus back to the campus after the walk. Bring sunscreen. Plenty of opp for eats and water along the way.
    Yeah sarasota is a beautiful town. If you really want an adventure head down mlk go south on Leon st. That will take you to the trap. That was a joke of course don't ever do that. That's where
    those two British guys got killed two years ago

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++