WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    In the idea of a bucket list, what places on and off the trail should be considered essential to the AT experience? I don't mean for a thru-hiker, but for anyone interested in getting an appreciation for the AT. This could include hikes, (easy, hard, ridiculous), views, shelters, hostels, towns, individuals/legends....anything that should be checked off on a list with the heading:

I'll never hike all of the Appalachian Trail, but I've gotten to see:

....and yes, I absolutely plan on compiling any contributions to make this list for Snacktime and myself. Since I plan to break it up by state, please identify the location of your suggestions. Thanks!
    In Franconia Notch, NH: If you have time, and/or don't care if you blue blaze a few miles, consider after crossing I-91 in Franconia State Park making a right hand turn and taking the Pemi Trail or the paved walkway that runs parallel to it approx. 3/4 mile south to The Flume. It's a paid admission boardwalk type loop hike through a very scenic and interesting, but tourist centered, canyon area. Leaving there, head back north on the Pemi Trail, but do not turn right back onto the AT/Liberty Springs Trail. Instead, follow the Pemi Trail about 2 miles further north and turn right (east) onto the Falling Waters Trail. It parallels the Liberty Springs Trails (AT), but is a much more beautiful hike up through a cascading stream area with many waterfalls as the name suggests. Not recommended in freezing conditions. It intersects (rejoins) the AT/Franconia Ridge Trail at the summit of Little Haystack Mountain just south of Mounts Lincoln and Lafayette. I think the only reason the AT isn't routed over Falling Waters is to keep the hiker traffic down as it is a very popular trail [It is part of one of the most used/abused day loop hikes in the Whites - Old Bridle Path to Greenleaf to Franconia Ridge/AT to Falling Waters]

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    No, the Mountian Harbor B+B has the amazing breakfast. The homemade cinnamon sticky buns are to die for, along with the other dozen or so dishes she puts out which fills a full size kitchen table
    I agree with this. What a spread!!! Yum!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Trillium and Mayapple in full bloom carpeting the forest floor,
    Jack in the Pulpit popping up here and there amongst their more ubiquitous brethren and sisteren.
    Spring in the mountains comes a little later, think May... then come Azaleas, Rhododendron, and Mountain Laurel for some icing on yer cake. Pictures are great...being there is magic. Won't be too long now.

So true. I love the mountains of Virginia!!, some say the AT in VA is boring, but they are passing through at the wrong time of year.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Ha ha... I bet you hate giant hairy spiders as much as my daughter does, Sierra.... La La La ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    LA LALA LALA LALA! I'm not LISTENING!
    Cowards! Pics or it didn't happen, either. LOL

Did I mention my youngest daughter had a pet tarantula for many years, until she died (the tarantula, not the daughter!)?

RainMan

Attached Images Attached Images
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries
    Images

• Cheshire cheese monument (and it's ilk)
    • View on the Manhattan Skyline

Images

Lots of great suggestions so far. In racking my brain for others, I remember the climb out of Palmerton, PA up the Blue Mountain SuperFund site to be a climb worth doing. Steep and fun, just don't drink the water, of which there is none. Here's my daughter, Grass, doing it in '04.

RainMan

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rain Man; 02-17-2014 at 11:11.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Cowards! Pics or it didn't happen, either. LOL

Did I mention my youngest daughter had a pet tarantula for many years, until she died (the tarantula, not the daughter!)?

RainMan

Oh gezz.. Rain Man. I'm not freaked out too badly but that would freak out my girl. My daughter does have a pic of a huge spider in a shelter.... #1 reason she sleeps in her tent.

Cool pic, Rain Man, coming out of Palmerton PA... that will be us this May.
    Last edited by HikerMom58; 02-17-2014 at 11:17.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    So true. I love the mountains of Virginia!!, some say the AT in VA is boring, but they are passing through at the wrong time of year.
    I agree. I love Virginia. I can't think of anywhere else I would rather live.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    • Cheshire cheese monument (and it's ilk)
    • View on the Manhattan Skyline
    What is the Cheshire Cheese Monument? This is new to me...
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    I agree. I love Virginia. I can't think of anywhere else I would rather live.
    Virginia is the BEST! +2

I like NH and New England too!

With all this talk of Azaleas and Rhododendron, isn't the Dogwood the state flower of VA? I recall these from my days growing up in MD. When do they bloom?

The really great thing about these suggestions is that Snacktime and I have already seen so many of them, and that we have so many more in store for us this spring! It leads me to believe when this "challenge" is over in 2 yrs, he will have truly gotten an appreciation for what the AT represents, what it has to offer in terms of natural beauty, ecological diversity, spiritual fulfillment, sense of community, sense of personal accomplishment, appreciation for regional differences (cultural and geographic), understanding of our national history, self-reliance, and of course, fun.

Keep the ideas coming....I'm working on a checklist format!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries
    Images

What is the Cheshire Cheese Monument? This is new to me...
    In and of itself it is rather insignificant-- as are the events that inspired it.

But it is representative of many (many) brushes with history that one finds along the trail which can add a different dimension to ones hike, and sense of place. For some that can matter as much as a vista, and for others not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    With all this talk of Azaleas and Rhododendron, isn't the Dogwood the state flower of VA? I recall these from my days growing up in MD. When do they bloom?
    Generally in April around here, depends a little on weather, elevation etc. They are usually in full bloom by Easter.

I would only do a walk by here anyway. The Doyle has nothing to offer us other than "seeing it" as an AT icon. We don't drink, been-there, done-that with the live entertainment bar-scene (and of course Snacktime is too young). As for the accommodation....I'll pass. But it should certainly be an item on the list.
    it's a bar. no big deal. i never spent much time there

check out the springs in boiling springs, pa.

1 Gulf Hagas.
    2 The Dungeon ( at lake of the clouds hut ).
    3 the Chocolate Factory ( Mass ).
    4 the Cookie Lady ( Kent Conn ).
    5 Harper's ferry ( believe it or not it's really a Historical park ).
    6 the Place ( in Catawba VA ).
    7 the Jail House hostel ( in Palmerton PA ).
    8 Mcafee's Knob.
    9 Partnership Shelter ( it actually has a shower ).
    10 Charlie's Bunnion ( GSMNP ).
    11 The Tower on Clingmans Dome.
    12 Wayha Bald Fire Tower.
    13 the top of Albert Mountain.
    14 the Approach Trail ( everbody should experience the falls it really is unforgettable ).

I would like to add the old twisted oak tree in Bly Gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it's a bar. no big deal. i never spent much time there
    The only "bar" Snacktime and I would bother with is the Blue Blaze, and that would just be to pop in to see you, LW!

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    I would like to add the old twisted oak tree in Bly Gap.
    Yep....on the list for this spring! We might even camp there if we decide to make it an overnight!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++