WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can it be done?

Images

:banana Can it be done?

Sorry, I'm sure if I dig harder I could find a similar thread, but I need your help...

I want to know if it is possible to spend 100 bucks or less and get a good sleeping bag. I'm not through hiking, just section hiking a week at a time. It's me, my husband, and our dog, and we have almost everything ready to go except the sleep system. We don't have pads yet and we don't have sleeping bags. I have spent SO much money on everything else and I am just sick of it. Probably the WORST place to start cutting costs would be our sleeping arrangements, but besides the stove, bear canister, water purifier, and our clothes, I have little less to procure. All stuff you really cant skimp on when it comes to $$. So... CAN IT BE DONE? Or do I really have to pay $300 + for a thermal, polyfill, insulated face gasket, flow technology, insect repelling, alien abduction thwarting, SLEEPING BAG FROM THE GODS.

Or is there something I can get at walmart that will work?

Let me know, thanks.

Images

Lots of good reviews on the Kelty Cosmic 20-f rated down bag. It's $150, though I have seen it on sale many times closer to $100. There is a much cheaper synthetic version but my personal preference is for a down bag for warmth, weight, compressibiity, and long life.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

1. Skip the bear canister, unless you are hiking where they are required.
    2. If you are hiking in warmer weather (late spring through early fall) you should be able to find suitable bags under $100. Look for closeouts, sales, etc. on name brands.
    3. If you can get a good nights sleep on one, get closed cell foam pads. They are cheap and work well.

Have fun!
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post

Have fun!
    I have an irrational fear/love of bears. Too many late nights with Discovery Channel horror episodes. Bear canister will be more for peace of mind than reality.

Good call on the closed cell pad. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Lots of good reviews on the Kelty Cosmic 20-f rated down bag. It's $150, though I have seen it on sale many times closer to $100. There is a much cheaper synthetic version but my personal preference is for a down bag for warmth, weight, compressibiity, and long life.
    +1. It kept me nice and warm on my through.

Also, I bought this bag over the summer and took it down to mid 30's during the fall and stayed comfortable. The weight isn't bad at all. http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/vaude-...eping-bag.html

Images

Yes you can get a good sleeping bag for $100. It will be heavy, and it will not be compact. If you want light and compact it is going to cost you. Light, compact, cheap - Pick 2

Take a look at Kelty cosmic synthetic bags. Well made, temp rating is pretty true to spec, bulky and a little heavy. Campmor has a few other choices also. Eureka bag are not too bad for the price. Stay away from Slumberjack, the temp ratings are way off and the zippers suck.

I am a scout leader so I see every inexpensive bag out there.

Images

What kind of hiking are you doing? If it's middle of the summer, warm weather, use a simple, and cheap, fleece blanket.

Walmart bags are only suitable for car camping or sleep overs at your kids friends house. Lafuma bags are reasonably priced.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailwobbles View Post
    I have an irrational fear/love of bears. Too many late nights with Discovery Channel horror episodes. Bear canister will be more for peace of mind than reality.

I assume you are talking about hiking on or around the AT. If that is true than you need to understand that bears are creatures of habit, and that it's not what you do with your food that effects the bears behavior, it is what the last 50,000 hikers did before you got there.

The only thing a bear canister will do is keep critters from stealing your food. It will not stop you from having a bear encounter. If fear of bears is your issue, a bear canister will not change anything. If you are going to carry the weight, do it for the right reason.

Now after saying all that, your chance of having a bad bear encounter is way less than getting run over by a truck on the way to the trail. Fear traffic, not bears

Images

What rating are you looking for? As already stated, at that price point, the bags are goingto be heavier and bulky. Here are a few possibilities --

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___43195

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___46708#

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___46710

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___45395

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___42252

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___41065

Just offered as potential options, they're all under $100, but come in about 3 pounds.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 02-16-2014 at 03:25. Reason: Pressed edit button, ended up with duplicate post.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Check Steep and Cheap . Com. If you don't mind used check @ backpackinglight . Com.
    REI is also having their 50% off sale right now on all kinds of items.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    2. If you are hiking in warmer weather (late spring through early fall) you should be able to find suitable bags under $100. Look for closeouts, sales, etc. on name brands.
    3. If you can get a good nights sleep on one, get closed cell foam pads. They are cheap and work well.

Have fun!
    1) Seriously, skip the bear canister there are only black bears on the A.T. Grizzley bears (the ones you hear stories about) don't live east of the Mississippi river. That will save you $70 right there. If you are worried about bears then learn how to hang a bear bag using the PCT method and hang it away from your campsite. Search youtube for "PCT method" and you will find a number of how to videos showing how to properly hang your food.

2) It is easy enough to find a decent three season synthetic sleeping bag for under $100. Here is a link to rei's outlet that have a lot of options that are very workable:

http://m.rei.com/outlet/search/?cat=...ASleeping+Bags
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Thought you might have some interest in this pair. Not the lightest (42 oz each from what I can figure out), but 15° REI down bags with mating zips: http://www.ebay.com/itm/REI-Down-Tim...item3f30b040c4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailwobbles View Post

Skip the canister and use the money on a better bag. It is likely the single best BPing expenditure. that will turn irrational into rational.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you get really lucky and happen to catch a good bag at a clearance price, you MIGHT get close to $100. But it's likely to be a pretty heavy bag.

Quickly checking the websites I've been watching for after Christmas clearance specials, I found the following two bags at really great prices:

A Mountain Hardware Ultralamina 32 degree bag for $127. This is the woman's version of the exact bag I purchased for me and my son's for warm weather hiking last year for $150. It weights slightly more than 2lbs and packs down really small... smaller than some down bags that cost much more. A down bag at this temperature rating will be lighter, but also a lot more $$$

One bag that almost perfectly matches what you're looking for would the the Mountain Hardware Lamina 20 degree bag. Once you apply the advertized 20% coupon, the final price is $101. The Lamina bag is one step down from the Ultralamina. The weight of this bag is a hair over 3lbs.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Here's another 20 degree bag that is slightly over 3lbs that is only $58 after the 20% coupon (Regular size).

I use the US military patrol bag. Rated to 30 degrees (although I'm not too sure how accurate that is). Fits into a 10 liter compression sack. I love mine. You might not find a new one but you can't beat the price. Also check you're local military surplus shop.

http://www.amazon.com/MILITARY-MODUL...y+sleeping+bag

Quote Originally Posted by Aristicks View Post
    I use the US military patrol bag. Rated to 30 degrees (although I'm not too sure how accurate that is). Fits into a 10 liter compression sack. I love mine. You might not find a new one but you can't beat the price. Also check you're local military surplus shop.

http://www.amazon.com/MILITARY-MODUL...y+sleeping+bag

I'm fairly certain the ratings on those bags assume you're wearing the ECWS sleeping system clothing as well. That said, I've had on thermals, and have been comfortable down to mid 30's in that bag, but I sleep warm. So YMMV. Its really a great deal for what you get. I'd say they are around 2.5lbs+. It's more my warmer weather bag though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++