WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Umbrella?

Default Umbrella?

I've been sectioning for the last fifteen years and have only seen a couple of umbrellas and one of those was home made. Who carries one?
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

grandma gatewood, if it was good enough for her, who am i to question

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I do. Depending on the circumstances, it can make a miserable day much more comfortable. I find it particularly useful in warm weather, conditions when showers pop up then disappear. It also helps your w/b raingear function better by helping the fabric not wet out. Essential gear IMO, YMMV.

Images

I found that even at 5 or 6 oz for a UL one, they could be a PIA if there was above a light wind or if there were any branches to snag on. It also ties up one of your hands if you use poles and you can at times get tired holding it. But in a steady rain they will keep you dryer. I tried a Go Lite brand one a couple of times, it's honestly now part of my "city travel gear". But others find them useful, and I admit that I always have one with me on the golf course. One of those some find them useful, others don't items.

The only time I've carried an umbrella was in some of the hottest parts of the Desert Trail, and found it to be worthwhile.

Otherwise, they are not a good fit for the way I hike. I see a lot more enthusiasm for umbrellas on the forums than I do on the trails. That said, there are definitely people for whom umbrellas work well.

A guy I hiked with a couple years ago had one at the start, we dubbed him 'Mary Poppins'. I don't remember exactly when he ditched it, but it was before Damascus.

Images

I've carried one for years. There are ways to attach to your pack so you can hike hands free, except during the hardest of winds.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    I've carried one for years. There are ways to attach to your pack so you can hike hands free, except during the hardest of winds.
    .. Me too.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Except for my UL kits, I am still a big fan. There are definite stretches and seasons that they don't make sense on the AT, not speaking from experience- but there are definite stretches on the PCT that they can be indispensable. There are many, many ways to deal with rain for comparable weight. But there is not a single piece of gear to deal with sun for lighter than a reflective coated umbrella. I wouldn't think twice about brining it on the PCT, AT is a coin flip, and here at home our trails switch from forest to meadow often enough to make it a good choice often enough.

Just don't open them up inside shelters...bad luck!

It's rare to see an unbrella on the AT. I only meet one last year using one and of course got the trail name of "Poppins". She carried it whole way and apparently found it useful. I'd seriously consider using one out west where there is often little or no shade and a wide brim hat can be just too hot to wear. I'd have to be able to attach it to the pack, carrying it in one hands all day long would be a real pain in the elbow.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hair-ties, not just for just bill's pigtails.

Images

I always have mine. Two peices of elastic cord and two toggles makes it totally hands free. Check out my gallery photo if you want to see it in action.

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    +1...................

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    ...I see a lot more enthusiasm for umbrellas on the forums than I do on the trails. That said, there are definitely people for whom umbrellas work well.
    Ditto this. I think people who don't use umbrellas don't talk about them much. I rarely see them, but those who use them like them.

I asked this question on a forum before my AT hike and you'd have thought from the responses that half the hikers out there carried umbrellas. I decided not to and don't think I saw a single one on the AT. A sagging wet or snow-laden branch, of which there are many on that trail, would not be fun with an umbrella. And I don't really want the trail name of Mary Poppins. I've seen more in the desert West. I've noticed most days I'd like to carry one have been very windy, so I wouldn't want to use one. If, like Colter, I'd hiked the West so much and maybe in a less-windy season, I'd probably try one.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Since I carry one I do not understand why you say not around wet or snowy branches. That would actually be another great time to have one. Hit the branch with the umbrella then walk under. Those that walk under without get full of snow... But not us. Unless its too bad, then just go under and open back up. .... I really like how these umbrella threads go. Everybody who never uses one says it won't work for the AT. How would they know? They don't use one. .. But ask somebody who does and they'll tell you they never leave home without one. ... Kinda like people asking about tents then somebody jumping saying tents won't work on the AT. You have to have a hammock.

Used one the second half of my thru-hike - loved it. Carry one religiously still. Fortunately, I only use one Mother Nature provided hiking stick so I always have a hand free to carry it.

I used a Go-lite on the AT, a good piece of kit-can close up one end of a tarp as well. I broke mine with a trip over a root as the natural thing is to put the thing down.I mended it with a bit of branch till it went again.I bought another in a dollar store then after a few days dry weather and a good forecast I left it in a shelter, probably had one for about six weeks. Would try again if I can go hands free, not maybe on the AT as a rain jacket can have double use -for wind and to sleep in if very cold.

Images

I use a tarp also and it does help for closing off blowing rain or extending my vestibule space.

I had an old umbrella that had the handle broken off, so I used to slide the post down behind a buckle on the shoulder strap of my pack then wrap a bungee cord with the hooks cut off around it and tied it tight. Did the trick.
    Welcome to Rocksylvania, where boots go to die
    ATC Member since 2011

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++