WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Post Big 3 Gear list recommendations

Pack:

Kelty Zeppelin 140L 13lbs 12oz
    or
    Nervures Tandem 180L 4lbs

Cant decide.. the Kelty is sturdier and has wheels for those long road walks but the Nervures has more space and is much lighter.

Sleeping System:

FF Snowy Owl EX -60 Long 5lbs 4 oz
    Therm-a-Rest Mondo King 4lbs 11oz

I get cold easily and want to be prepared. The pad is rated R 11.4 and the bag is good to -60 but if I get cold I'll just wear all my clothes/sleep with my pitbulls/fill my 6 nalgens with boiling water and sleep with them.

Shelter:

Eureka Copper Canyon Tent 38lbs 12oz
    &
    Warbonnet Blackbird hammock 1lb 8oz

I've modified the walls of my 8+ person tent with slits. Now I can run my hammock suspension through them allowing me to hang my hammock inside of my woodland palace as long as it's pitched between two trees. I figure one or two of my fellow thru-hikers will forget their shelter at home and I'll have plenty of room to share.

Total: 55lbs-64lbs

I can't wait to hit the trail!

Images

Not worried the pit bulls will run out the slits in tent walls after any wildlife walking by?

If you chain them together to the suspension of your hammock, you also run the risk of the ropes snapping when the dogs hit the end of the chains, thereby treating you to a modified Nantucket sleigh ride through the woods.

When you try to unzip the hammock, you'll probably unscrew the bottles by mistake, partially par-boiling your flesh. This MAY stop the pit bulls, since they will be hungry at this point.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Journal Entries

I think only the Kelty pack would have the room for a cast iron Dutch Oven.

The backcountry really isn't worth visiting unless you can bake pies.

Thank you! This post is my favorite of all time. I'm still laughing. Don"t forget your guns.

Seems pretty well thought out, but since you came for advice I guess I should toss in my two cents-

Tent-
    The CDT does go though Colorado I believe, and I read that it snows in Colorado and there are at least 14 mountains. I wouldn't feel right recommending anything less than the North Face 2 meter dome, it's a bit higher at 47 pounds but it will better handle the expected snow loads and their warrantee specifically covers pitbulls.

Sleep system looks pretty solid but I have always liked the exped comfort mega mat 10, only R9.5 though so I think you have it covered.

Pack-
    At 170L and with a slightly better wheel for off road travel I think you'd be better off with this-
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Jackson-6...6?N=5yc1vZc5qk

I believe you can pick up a multi use air pump that will inflate the wheel and your pad.

Sounds like a great trip either way!!!

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

What about the Flextrek Whipsnake 37000000000000? Have you considered that for a pack as a thru? Does anyone else have experience with this pack?
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post
    What about the Flextrek Whipsnake 37000000000000? Have you considered that for a pack as a thru? Does anyone else have experience with this pack?
    Good lord, my eyes!

ohhhhhh, le crevasse for the win!

Journal Entries
    Images

Been there done that. Was up on the Southern end of the Long Trail years back with my Kelty Super Toga years back , feet hurting thinking is there a better way than being strubbern. After getting home went to an outfitter, with all my equipment and put it on a scale. Checked out a few packs. Found an Osprey Atmos 65. Repacked put it on a scale and low and behold. 9 lbs lighter. Some of us old folks are bad spellers and hold onto old ways. Next move was getting a hiking pole, switching stoves,going to down. Next step for me is going to be dumping the water filter.. basicly went from 40 lbs base to 22 lbs base. My knees and toes said a big thank you.

4 a.m. and started reading this and was like "what?" OMG. Thanks, I needed this. By the way. If I didn't already have a pack, the Flextrek Whipsnake 37000000000000 would be next on my list. Thanks for the early morning laugh

Default Big 3 Gear list recommendations

Where can we order? Will REI carry this line ?
    Last edited by Deacon; 02-17-2014 at 07:28.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Been there done that. Was up on the Southern end of the Long Trail years back with my Kelty Super Toga years back , feet hurting thinking is there a better way than being strubbern. After getting home went to an outfitter, with all my equipment and put it on a scale. Checked out a few packs. Found an Osprey Atmos 65. Repacked put it on a scale and low and behold. 9 lbs lighter. Some of us old folks are bad spellers and hold onto old ways. Next move was getting a hiking pole, switching stoves,going to down. Next step for me is going to be dumping the water filter.. basicly went from 40 lbs base to 22 lbs base. My knees and toes said a big thank you.
    It's always good to learn from your experiences, but I think you are misunderstanding the OPs intent. He is not looking to lighten his load, he is looking for a bridge to crawl under.

++ New Posts ++