WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Arms falling asleep while sleeping in tent

I'm 31, in relatively good shape, but whenever I sleep in my tent, my arms continuously fall asleep during the night, especially when sleeping on my back (I'm a back sleeper). It is extremely hard to get a good night's sleep because of this, even though I'm in a sleeping bag that's on top of a sleeping pad. I can elevate my arms with my pack items and it gets somewhat better, but that's rather hard to maintain during the night. Anyone else ever have this problem? I have no problem at home in my bed. Probably am going to try out a hammock but am interested in what folks here have experienced.

Images

I had that problem sleeping on the ground, and really firm mattresses (like the ones in boot camp). I don't have that problem sleeping in a hammock

I occasionally have that when side sleeping, shoulder smashed in the ground would do it, but back is weird...you are a freak.
    Do you have a decent pad or just a foamie?

You could try the Mike Clelland tip- he puts his shoes at his sides and rests his elbows on them to keep them propped up. Mike uses a thin pad.
    Could try elevating your feet a bit too.

You may be pinching nerves in your neck. I have some narrowing spine issues in my neck that cause that problem if I hold my neck in the wrong position too long. I'm just offering this as something for you to consider. But nerves in the neck can definitely cause numbing in the hands.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

You don't mention how wide your pad is. A 25 inch air pad supports my arms and I have wide shoulders. Failing that, I have seen people use their shoes as previously suggested.

git chew some para cord and put your arms in traction by tying off to a gear loft er somthin, Or

..."Sleep like an Egyptian" images (12).jpg

I hate the dreaded "arm drop off" you get when sleeping on a 20" wide pad. I would love if they made a 25" X 72" prolite!

Images

I assume your arms are falling down off your pad. That happens to me even with a 25 inch pad. Very uncomfortable. There's no great solution. You can sleep on your side, or bring some "pad extenders" like the hammockers use, except to support your elbows. I haven't tried shoes, but I will next time.

You're not alone...
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I too have trouble, even at home. I end up having to put pillows so, the advice about pad extenders, shoe etc. seem like a good idea that I will be using.

Images

It sounds awful sleeping on pads on the ground

Quote Originally Posted by DocMahns View Post
    It sounds awful sleeping on pads on the ground
    I have been a life-long insomniac. The most complete, refreshing sleep I've ever had was on a air mattress in my tent on my attempt last year. For some of us, it works.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cliffdiver View Post
    I have been a life-long insomniac. The most complete, refreshing sleep I've ever had was on a air mattress in my tent on my attempt last year. For some of us, it works.
    5 people complained about it to 1 person saying they got the most refreshing sleep. But whatever works for you, I'm not going to try and dissuade you from that, merely making an observation.

Images

could your backpack be pinching nerves during day and it effects arms at nite? just a thought
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

5 people complained about it to 1 person saying they got the most refreshing sleep. But whatever works for you, I'm not going to try and dissuade you from that, merely making an observation.
    Since you are counting, put me in the category of those hikers who sleep better on Mother Earth than in the trees.

It may not be the pad causing the problem. It could be what you are using for a pillow when you are backpacking. Like moytoy, I also have cervical stenosis and depending on what I lay my head on, or what position it's in, my arm and/or hand goes numb during the night. Try different items for a pillow (clothing in a stuff sack, air pillow, etc.) and see if it make any difference.

I have this problem too on the trail and at home. I have concluded that it has to do with my heart rate slowing down when I sleep. If your resting heart rate is around 49 BPM we may have the same problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ostrogoth View Post
    I have this problem too on the trail and at home. I have concluded that it has to do with my heart rate slowing down when I sleep. If your resting heart rate is around 49 BPM we may have the same problem.

Numbness is neuro related. If it were lack of blood flow your limbs would be cyanotic and ischemic

Numbness is neuro related. If it were lack of blood flow your limbs would be cyanotic and ischemic
    Bingo. I experience this sometimes with my carpal tunnel syndrome. Sucks.

Ryan

Doc that is your opinion...limbs falling asleep ( pins and needles in a leg or arm) is from a lack of blood flow.. Falling asleep with a head on an arm reduces blood flow to that limb hence pins and needles...so if it's not caused by an obvious reason such as the former one usually looks elsewhere for an answer.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ostrogoth View Post
    Doc that is your opinion...limbs falling asleep ( pins and needles in a leg or arm) is from a lack of blood flow.. Falling asleep with a head on an arm reduces blood flow to that limb hence pins and needles...so if it's not caused by an obvious reason such as the former one usually looks elsewhere for an answer.

Not really an opinion, it's medical science. Numbness and tingling IS neurological. Laying with your head on your arm decreases synaptic firing by compressing the neurological pathway. Because your upper extremity cannot communicate feeling back to your central nervous system you gain the sensation of numbness. The tingling is the neurological pathway getting re-established. Laying your head on your arm would not be sufficient enough pressure to cut off blood flow. The various arteries and veins that run through your arm require circumferential pressure in order to occlude circulation (as in with a tourniquet). If you were to occlude blood flow you would experience ischemia, or in other words severe pain due to your cells not getting nutrients and subsequently beginning to die.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++