WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

henry
    Journal Entries

Default is a bear cannister required

if so what southern sections must they be used in.????
    thanks henry

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

A bear canister is not required unless you are camping (NOT hiking) in a short, five mile stretch of trail:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/trail-updates

Bear canisters seasonally required for camping between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap
    A new U.S. Forest Service rule requires approved bear-resistant storage containers for overnight camping on a 5-mile stretch of the A.T. in the Chattahoochee National Forest between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap, between March 1 and June 1 each year. This stretch is located between points 26.7 and 31.7 miles north of the southern terminus of the A.T. at Springer Moutain, Georgia, and includes Woods Hole Shelter, Slaughter Creek Campsite, and Blood Mountain Shelter. “Bear canisters” should be used to store food, food containers, garbage and toiletries. For more information, call the Chattahoochee - Oconee National Forest at (770) 297-3000.

The average hiker can get through this section in 2-3 hrs max. Easy enough to plan a day so you don't have to camp in this section.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Last year the Wolfpen Gap Country Store in Suches (2 miles from Woody Gap) rented bear canisters which could then be returned at Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap. Wolfpen Gap Country Store is also a hostel. Contact info 706.747.2271 more info also in the Companion.

++ New Posts ++