WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Location map tracking

Using an iPhone, is there a way to update a map with current and past locations? I'd like to update my location on a map every 2 - 3 days so that my friends/family can track me as I hike north. I envision the GPS on my iPhone locating my position, I add a few words, send this info to an online map which can be viewed by anyone, preferably using a link in my blog. I've poked around the google maps site but it's not obvious how this can be done. They had something called Latitudes which looked promising, but that is now defunct. Thanks in advance!

14 days until I start my NOBO thru hike.

Quote Originally Posted by AT_Walker View Post
    Using an iPhone, is there a way to update a map with current and past locations? I'd like to update my location on a map every 2 - 3 days so that my friends/family can track me as I hike north. I envision the GPS on my iPhone locating my position, I add a few words, send this info to an online map which can be viewed by anyone, preferably using a link in my blog. I've poked around the google maps site but it's not obvious how this can be done. They had something called Latitudes which looked promising, but that is now defunct. Thanks in advance!

14 days until I start my NOBO thru hike.
    give this a lookin over.

http://maprika.com/index.html

There is an app called "follow me" which does that
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Alternatively, a SPOT tracker might do what you need and save the battery on your iPhone. Just one more option to weigh.

Images

most any gps app on your phone is a big battery killer. I have one I love, called "motionX gps". Lots of great features... you can post links directly to Facebook/twitter and even email them, that will show your position on a map. It will give you average time/distance and even fastest speed. A friend of mine and I used it skiing, to see how fast we were going down a hill. If you want to leave it on, it will post tracking points when you set it to do so (every ten minutes, once an hour, etc).
    But it beats your battery up. If you're using it sparingly, and make sure its turned off when you aren't using it, you'll be fine. Turn it on, post your point, and turn it off... Or carry a backup battery.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

++ New Posts ++