WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Donation-based hostels

We're likely to be overnighting at a couple of places where the payment due is donation-based. What I considered reasonable....and please don't hedge here as I really need an number to budget. Is $10 per head/per day too cheap? I'm not a Rockefeller, but I want to be fair. If a giganzo breakfast is involved should it be $15?

This isn't a question of conscience, but one of economics....what is enough, what is "your a tourist" and what is "you're a lousy cheapskate"?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

most of those places give a suggested amount to donate. "the Place" in Damascus asks for a $6 donation per night

Journal Entries
    Images

Any idea on Blackburn?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Most suggest $5.00, but $10 is better to make up for the scumb bags which don't leave anything. Commercial hostels will be 20 and up, breakfast not included. Since a motel will cost you 40 to 100, the hostels are one heck of a bargin.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Any idea on Blackburn?
    Blackburn is free and they usually include a spaghetti dinner to boot.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Is it "faux-pas" to leave a donation? I'd feel awkward not paying for my supper, and the certainly don't want me to sing!

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Blackburn is free
    Technically correct, although as The Companion puts it, donations are "appreciated". I'd pay something.

Journal Entries
    Images

Which brings me to my original question.....what's enough at BTC?

Images

Most suggest $5.00, but $10 is better to make up for the scumb bags which don't leave anything. Commercial hostels will be 20 and up, breakfast not included. Since a motel will cost you 40 to 100, the hostels are one heck of a bargin.
    Often with two or three people the motel and hostel are about the same. I think the Place and Kincora and Green Mt ask very little and $20 is what grownups should pay.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Journal Entries
    Images

Since a motel will cost you 40 to 100, the hostels are one heck of a bargain.
    Since I'm paying for 2, it works out the same. But $20 (total) per night is easier to handle than $40.

pay your 15 to 20 bucks, or go pitch a tent

$15-20/night without a meal seems about right to me since that's probably what it takes just to barely break even but presumably hostels that are "donation only" are fine with people staying there who legitimately can't pay that much, obviously based on the honor system.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I've never paid at Blackburn, per se but I am a donating member of the PATC and I've always tented outside. They've still brought us sodas and leftovers anyway. They are awesome there. If I was staying inside I would figure about $10 per person and we'd pitch in to help clean up or do another task if available. To me, it depends on the services rendered. If I'm getting a hot shower, flushing toilets, an actual bed/bunk and/or private accommodations, meals, etc. I adjust upward accordingly.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

El Sordo
    Images

Blueberry Patch includes laundry and blueberry pancakes for breakfast. What do you think it's worth?
    Dyslexics Untie!

Journal Entries
    Images

This is the other one we're planning on going to. Again, I was hoping for $10-15 each.

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    Blueberry Patch includes laundry and blueberry pancakes for breakfast. What do you think it's worth?
    I donated the same as I paid at the Hiker Hostel, can't remember if it was $16 or $18 per night.
    Trillium

The Blueberry Patch is operated as a Christian Ministry so if you strapped for cash you can pay whatever your conscience tells you to. As a point of reference, if you go to Hiawassee and stay at Ron Havens hotel you will be charged $45 for the room. Laundry and food extra. If you stay at the new hostel 0.5 from Dicks Creek Gap you will pay (for 2 people) $40 for the bunkhouse or $20 to tent. Laundry and food extra. Shower free.

Journal Entries
    Images

Actually, I've done my research and know what just about every hostel & hotel in the area costs....except those which don't list a price other than "donation"...thus my query. It's just a matter of "this is what the donation should be as such and such hostel", and if I can't pay that, then we won't stay, We'll camp and/or car camp for the night rather than shortchange a business, but if what I feel I can afford is equitable, then it serves both parties best to pay the donation. They receive some income, I get a roof, walls and maybe electricity and indoor plumbing.

But there's nothing more frustrating than asking a vendor what they want, being told "whatever...." and then feeling like it wasn't enough. I'd rather do without completely.

Since you asked for specifics I would probably:

1. pay $20 at Blueberry, and

2. since I am an ATC member I'd pay Blackburn $0 if I camped in the yard and $10 if I stayed inside. If they fed me I'd contribute extra for that. Probably $5.

Journal Entries
    Images

I assume you're talking per person pricing there....good info. I'll tell them you told me these were the prices and if they have a problem it's entirely your fault.....no problem. Thanks, Max.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++