WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Newbie ULA gear questions

Hello folks, I’m a newbie and I have a few questions about gear. I‘ve done a lot of day hiking and I have experience camping from a car where weight’s not an issue, but I’ve done relatively little camping over night on longer hikes. I do hike and trail run in West Virginia where I now live. In 1976, being young and dumb, I celebrated the Bi- Centennial by hitch hiking and camping on “blue highways” (no Interstate) from Boise, Idaho through Oregon (Jontura- Bend,) to the coast (near Coos Bay) and then down the California coast to San Luis Obispo. I had a day pack, a tube tent, a canteen, and ate pumpkin seeds and nuts most of the time. Last year I day hiked in GSMNP. One day I hiked from Newfound Gap to Charlie’s Bunion and back. The next day from Newfound Gap to Clingman’s Dome and back. I had an old Camelback Mule hydration pack stuffed with Clif Bars and munchies and an emergency poncho, multi tool, and first aid kit, using an old set of ski poles as hiking poles.

Point in explaining all this is I’m interested in doing more extended hikes culminating some day in an AT thru hike and doing so by going as light as possible. I’ve started checking out Ultra light gear. I’ve looked at packs and tents and so far liked the ULA Circuit and a Tarp Tent Notch. Since most of my hiking will take place in the summer months until I can retire, I plan on using a synthetic quilt and Neo Air pad for a sleep system. My decision for a synthetic quilt is because most of my training or breaking in trips will be on the Allegheny Trail here in WV and it's humid, muggy, and rainy a lot in the summer. If I get into it, later maybe I’ll think about Cuben Fiber, but I figure with my inexperience it might not be wise to spend that much for equipment until I know what I’m doing. Am I being naïve or are these reasonable choices. Also what about water filtration, etc? My experience is with a Camelback hydration system. I’ve looked at the Sawyer Mini. What about a Steripen? Any advice would be appreciated.

You are making reasonable choices and there is nothing wrong with Sawyer filters.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I think that you are being quite reasonable, especially if you're not convinced that you will really get into extended hiking to any great degree. However, it sounds as if you have some disposable income, so I would at least consider some of the Cuben fiber gear offered at zPacks. Once you're committed to going UL, then spend most of your funds on your Big 4 (pack, sleeping bag, pad, shelter), which will have the biggest impact on your total carry-weight (days of food and water will represent an increasingly large portion of what you carry then).

I'd go with a water filter only if think you will really need to filter out of murky/leafy water or streams/ponds, in which case be prepared to backflush the filter in the field. I moved to Aqua Mira drops for my AT section hikes a decade ago and haven't looked back.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Before you get too far into tents you might want to take a look at our sister forum hammockforums.net

At our age, hanging is way, way easier than sleeping on the ground both from a comfort standpoint and for not having to crawl around on our hands and knees.

Other than that, research, research and research. If you buy on an impulse you'll end up selling and buying or like a lot of the guys here, accumulating packs, tents, gear and more gear!!

I thought about hammocks, but I'm a side sleeper and don't know if I could adapt. I almost can't sleep at all on my back.

I often use a Circuit and Notch when hiking. I have no complaints. I like water filtration that has no batteries or moving parts so I've stuck with either Aqua Mira or more recently a Sawyer Mini depending on where I'm going.

Images

I have a circuit you could look at and try if your ever up near Clarksburg, I use a steripen, hammock, and try to be reasonably light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

I use a sawyer squeeze mini and love it. Worst case you can always boil if needed.

I'm an UL backpacker boarder SUL. In the summer its easy for me to keep my base pack weight around 5lbs. I've also been a hammock hanger for a long time and have a lot of experience with them and sleep on my side. I have never had an issue with comfort with the right hammock except for the one time when I brought my summer UQ vs winter by mistake when it was freezing.

I consider myself to be a minimalist and unless your good at DIY or ready to shell out a lot of money it can be very difficult to go UL with a hammock setup. I currently use a Dream Hammock UL and have dialed my hammock set up to the lightest weight possible but even with that said Ive realized there are a lot of lighter shelter options and have moved more towards using a borah bivy with a cuban tarp. At under 13oz its hard to beat.

I usually hike on average 30+ miles a day and so reducing as much weight as possible while being reasonably comfortable and responsible is important to me. My perspective is I spend more time on my trips with a pack on then doing anything else so I want it as light as possible. My luxery items are my under quilt if I'm hanging or a womens neoair xlite if I go to ground and tarping.

What's important is determining what kind of backpacker you want to be and the kind of miles you want to be able to put in. Also the lighter you go the more expensive things get. Lastly how much comfort are you willing to give up. Going light means sacrifice and knowledge becomes your best friend. Learning how to improvise while making sure everything you carry has multiple purposes.

I thought about hammocks, but I'm a side sleeper and don't know if I could adapt. I almost can't sleep at all on my back.
    I sleep on my side (right side, mostly) very comfortably in my Hennessey Backpacker Asym. I agree with The Old Boot; when you get the hang of hanging, sleeping in a hammock is infinitely more restful that sleeping on the ground or in a shelter.

I also use a Circuit and find it pretty close to perfect for 3-season backpacking. But for packs, you really have to try them. It's a lot like footwear, and what is perfect for one person may not suit another.

Good advice on the hammock camping bit. I recently started looking into it as well and other than the premium of some of the complete kits, it really seems the way to go.

Good luck with your research too. It is very important to check things out for yourself if possible since some of the online reviews can be bloated with unhonest opinions.

Okay, So you guys are convincing me to take another look at hammocks. Here's a question. Like with the Hennessey Backpacker Asym, if you ever do find yourself in a situation where you're not able to hang it, like on a bald or elsewhere where there's no trees, can you use the rain fly like a tarp and the hammock like a bivy sack or groundcloth? Just trying to foresee any problems. Thanks also for all the advice and tips everyone. That's why I hang out at these forums.

Images

Yes you can just sleep under the tarp but not recommended because more likely to puncture/tear the material of the hammock. Also is you use under quilt like I do it doesn't work on the ground like a pad would.

My advise in that situation is to move to the tree line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

The zpack soloplex looks pretty damn lite. Pricey tho'.

I also have the circuit and it is just super ! Cant say enough great things about it or the company. Cant go wrong with that pack. I have a bear paw tent im selling to buy a lightheart gear solong 6. Nice tent. Less splash back than the tarp tent.
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch1976 View Post
    The zpack soloplex looks pretty damn lite. Pricey tho'.
    I just purchased a Zpack soloplex. Have only pitched it in the yard, but I'm impressed. 17oz total (tent, stuff sack, and 8 stakes). I picked it because the floor is replaceable, so I do not need to carry a ground cloth. Plus, if I stay in a shelter or sleep out in the open, I can use the floor by itself to protect my Neoair Xlite.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nooga View Post
    I just purchased a Zpack soloplex. Have only pitched it in the yard, but I'm impressed. 17oz total (tent, stuff sack, and 8 stakes). I picked it because the floor is replaceable, so I do not need to carry a ground cloth. Plus, if I stay in a shelter or sleep out in the open, I can use the floor by itself to protect my Neoair Xlite.
    I thought the soloplex had a sewn in floor that could not be removed? How does the floor attach to the bugnet? I might have to take another look at the this one.

ULA gear is first rate and their customer service is better than first rate. The Circuit is very popular with turu-hikers and the Ohm 2.0 is good is you don't carry alot. You can get a good tent for the weight of a hammock. I use a Big Agness Fly Creek that weighs under 2 lbs. I'm one of those fools who seldom treats water on the trail. I carry some household bleach for those rare occassions.

Your heading in the right direction. I wish I knew about whiteblaze and other online resources before I started buying backpacking gear. I started out carry 40+lbs on overnight trips. This was mainly due using old used gear and such. But I also never thought about lightening up for a few years. This forum holds a great deal information.

I am also a Hammock Camper. Use a HH Ultralite Backpacker. I'm a side sleeper. The only time you'll get me to the ground is if I sleep in a shelter, or its winter and I'm above treeline. I have found though, that unless you spend lots of money, or do a custom build, hammock setups are a tad heavier (probably about 6oz) heavier than most tarptent setups. My Hennesy systems weighs 44oz. Not including insulation. But, I carry some stakes, oversized tree huggers, have an integrated bugnet,and a hex-rainfly that is HUGE. It is a very substantial shelter over a traditional tent. I can walk around/cook under my rainfly. I could save alot of weight if I switched to a cuben tarp. But I don't have the funds yet. If you have the opputunity to try hammock camping, give it a go. Some people are converts (like myself) and never go back to the ground. Some people just don't like it. There is a learning curve. Your first night in a hammock is not what I would base my decision on. Give it a try 5-6 times and then youll know. Like 90% of people, you'll prob love it. Plus, there's a cool factor.

I highly recommend the mini sawyer. Looks like your doing your research. I've been using mine since it came out in replace of the old sawyer squeeze. I love it. I use it over Aqua Mira because I screw it right on to the threads of my smart water bottles. Also you can make an inline filter with it. IMO, if your going to use a filter on a thru-hike, it is certainly the way to go.

ULA makes great backpacks. I currently use a granite gear blaze AC 60. When this wears out, my next pack will be from ULA. Solid choice.

Cooksets can add more ounces than you think. If your trying to ultralight. I recommend using a homemade alcohol stove, windscreen, potstand, and 700ml or 900ml aluminum/titanium cup. Throw in a spork, a lighter, and a fuel bottle. KISS. On a thru-hike, your mostly just going to be heating up water. Here's a link to my cooking set-up.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...alight-Cookset

Survival knives, big multi-tools, and other items like that are unnecessary. They will also quickly add half a pound to your pack and you'll find you'll never use it. In essence, you don't need a survival knife if you have everything in your backpack to survive. You don't need to make a shelter, you have a sweet tent, etc. Typically on a thru, one can get by with a swiss army classic or leatherman micra. Those seem to be the most popular, raved about knive/tools. Scissors are a fantastic tool on a thru-hike and I would recommend your tool have a pair. Can't go wrong with either of those. On that note, I do carry an Esee Izula II fixed blade. It weighs about 3oz. But when I go backpacking, I practice bush craft and like to carve wood. I'm also a hunter/fisherman so I always have my fixed blade knife. So it's a luxury item for me. I pair that up with a swiss army classic and I'm good to go. If your set on bringing a fixed blade, I would look into a lightweight Morakniv (aka Mora) blade. Great blades at a cheap price. But you really don't need it on a thru. Once again, it's a luxury item.

That's all I'm going to share right now, just some food for thought. Research, research, research. Ask questions and you'll be good to go from the get go rather than wasting a lot of money like many of us here. Seems like your on the right path.

One last note, if your serious about getting into ultra-light backpacking. Pick up a cheap kitchen scale ($15) and start weighing out your gear. It really helps alot of people cut pack weight. Don't become a slave to the scale and enjoy yourself out there. Going lighter is a great thing to do. Just remember, don't think that if your get your pack weight down to 8lbs your going to be happy. You may be very uncomfortable in the woods. Cause at that point, your going minimalist. I carry about 13lbs before food and water and feel like I'm staying at the ritz carlton when on the trail. Ultralight is subjective and varies person to person. Hike your own hike, find what works for YOU, and most importantly, enjoy yourself. Sleeping under a tarp with no bug net is ridiculous to save 2 ounces. Some do it to be self-proclaimed professional super ultralight hikers yuppies, I think there insane .

Yep. There is ultra light, super ultra light , then there is stupid light. Dont go stupid light. A base pack weight of 8 to 9 lbs is just great. Think of it like 2lbs each for pack,tent,sleeping pad and sleeping bag. If one is over,,get a bit under on the next one. My circuit weight is 36 oz ( 2.25 lbs) my exped synmat ul7 is 17 oz. ( 1.06lbs ) or 3.31lbs for both well under the 4 lb. Quilt is 25.25 oz ( 1.57lbs) tent, stakes,pole,footprint. Ttl 2.56 lbs. Or close to that. Total 7.44 lbs. Or so. So im a tad under the 8 lb mark.
    + 1 on the alcohol stove and a 700ml pot with lid.
    I have a leatherman juice and carry a sog flash ii for blades
    A small compass , small whistle , photon back up light.
    P.T. remix head lamp. A few other odds and ends. You can live without a lot of stuff. Just dont go stupid light.
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!

Some comparisons in weights based on gear I use with a tarp/ bivy combo vs hammock and the seasons.

Tarp Bivy Combo
    Spring/ Summer
    ULA CDT stripped down size medium 19oz
    Borah Bivy with bug protection 6.1oz
    Hammock Hear Cuban Hexfly with pull outs 5.8oz
    GG Nitlite pad for warmer weather 4.6oz
    SOL escape Bivy as a sleeping bag 9oz
    X8 TI Shepard hook stakes 1.6oz
    Total Weight 46.1oz or 2.8lbs

3 Season Mild Winter
    Borah Bivy with bug protection 6.1oz
    Neoair Xlite women's 12oz
    Hammock Gear Burro TQ wide/ long 20 degree 20.5oz
    X8 TI Shepard hook stakes 1.6oz
    Total Weight 65oz or 4.0lbs

Hammock
    Spring/ Summer
    Dream Hammock Darien UL long with Dutch whoopie hook suspension and tree straps 13.2oz
    Hammock Gear 50 degree 3/4 UQ 11.1oz
    Hammock Gear 40 degree Burro long and wide TQ 13.6oz
    X5 TI Shepard hook stakes 1oz
    Total Weight 63.7oz 3.9lbs

Hammock
    3 Season mild winter
    Dream Hammock Darien UL long with Dutch whoopie hook suspension and tree straps 13.2oz
    Hammock Gear 15 degree 3/4 UQ 15.1oz
    Hammock Gear 20 degree Burro long and wide TQ 20.5oz
    X5 TI Shepard hook stakes 1oz
    Total Weight 74.6oz or 4.6lbs

Deep Winter
    Hammock
    Hammock Gear Burro TQ 0 degree quilt 28oz
    Hammock Gear 3/4 UQ -10 degree 20.1oz

Tarp Bivy
    Hammock Gear Burro TQ 0 degree quilt 28oz
    Neoair xlite women's 12oz