WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

in the darlington shelter PA a couple got it on right above me and about 5 ish minutes the couple stopped and paused (wispers) then out right asked me to join them!.... for the 5 mins all i could think about was joining in but after i was asked i said nothing and then they continued and finished. after that night i vowed to myself that i would take more risks and be less beta male............. #dat beta life

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I suppose the time me and a buddy camped out one weekend would qualify me. He said he had a beautiful spot. The next morning we saw a sign on a tree over looking our site that read.

No Camping
    No Fires
    No Alcohol

yep, we broke all three. It was a nice spot though.

This was our site last August in Harriman, near 3rd reservoir. You can see the signs right above one of the hike leaders tent :P
    harriman 0803-0804 010.jpg
    harriman 0803-0804 014.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by moose717; 02-21-2014 at 23:06. Reason: add picture
    "Life is pure adventure, and the sooner we realize that, the quicker we will be
    able to treat life as art." Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by moose717 View Post
    This was our site last August in Harriman, near 3rd reservoir. You can see the signs right above one of the hike leaders tent :P
    harriman 0803-0804 010.jpg
    harriman 0803-0804 014.jpg
    now that looks like a pretty spot.

Low Gap shelter....minding my own business, eating. Had a small herd of boy scouts come running, full bore, to the stream in front of the shelter from the trail. First one tripped and plowed a furrow with his nose right into the stream with 4 others in tow, I was on the ground crying, Keystone cops couldn't have pulled off a better skit. Scout leader didn't find me near as charming, he promptly scolded me about laughing about others misfortunes. Lesson learned.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy44 View Post
    in the darlington shelter PA a couple got it on right above me and about 5 ish minutes the couple stopped and paused (wispers) then out right asked me to join them!.... for the 5 mins all i could think about was joining in but after i was asked i said nothing and then they continued and finished. after that night i vowed to myself that i would take more risks and be less beta male............. #dat beta life
    Only person I know who looked a gift horse in the mouth. Bazinga!
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Low Gap shelter....minding my own business, eating. Had a small herd of boy scouts come running, full bore, to the stream in front of the shelter from the trail. First one tripped and plowed a furrow with his nose right into the stream with 4 others in tow, I was on the ground crying, Keystone cops couldn't have pulled off a better skit. Scout leader didn't find me near as charming, he promptly scolded me about laughing about others misfortunes. Lesson learned.
    Eagle scout here, I would've laughed too. And laughed at the leader.
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

As another Eagle Scout and long-time Boy Scout, I would've been roaring as long as no one was phyically injured.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I pissed in a hotel laundromat trash can in Front Royal. I had someone give me a couple beers as trail magic and the urge hit me so hard while i was loading the washer that I knew I would not make it back to my room in time. Terrible, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter'12 View Post
    I pissed in a hotel laundromat trash can in Front Royal. I had someone give me a couple beers as trail magic and the urge hit me so hard while i was loading the washer that I knew I would not make it back to my room in time. Terrible, I know.
    Another reason why I have no hard feelings toward the Kent laundry lady.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Another reason why I have no hard feelings toward the Kent laundry lady.
    Yeah, me neither.

Journal Entries
    Images

Over the years. Early on fires made where ever seemed safe to me. When I was cold and needed to dry out. Also, have left a messy campsite. One time because my son was sick and I was in a rush. Informed others what was going on and they understood and took care of it. Another time left a messy campsite, ended up in the hospital. On that one once discharged I wrote to a friend who worked with parks and rec and told him what had happened.

Don't feel guilty about any of this. Early on just did not know better. With illness one is powerless. In the second case I regret not making a phone call from hospital.

Try and always pick up behind others these days. Also, these days I'll bailout if not feeling well before my denial creates a situation where someone else has to pick up after me. Today I try and set a good example.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    After 23 years in the military I am a stickler for cigarettes thrown on the ground even though I am a smoker. Never understood why soldiers would throw there butts on the ground knowing they will have to pick them up anyway, including non-smokers but, occasionally I have poked out a butt and thrown it into the woods rather than putting it in my pocket. I hate myself! Somebody say something worse so I can feel better about myself.
    I am reminded of "field Stripping" cigarette butts. Tear a strip down the side, let the remaining tobacco loose in the wind, wad up the paper and put it in your pocket. (I don't know how this would work with your fancy new filter cigarettes)

You just empty them as you would and put the filters in your pocket. I have done this for many years. When you find trash can throw them away or just put them in a zip lock baggie until you can throw them away.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

I'm a day-hiker on the AT. I have let my dog go off-leash and let her drink out of and play in creeks. How many HYOH for this?

I take visitors to our North Georgia home to Mountain Crossings at Neels gap to ogle at the hikers coming off of Blood Mountain. After a couple of days of bad weather they make quite the tourist atteaction!

One time when I was sick in the woods, I walked to a nearby pond a few hundred yards from my tent site., trying to get service. I pulled out my IPhone 3, held it up looking for a known spot of service, and dropped it in the pond. I fished it out but to no avail, it was already a goner. Between that and being sick, I went to my campsite, started packing, but between being mad about the phone, and being sick, I didn't feel like taking down my tent, so I left it on the platform. I still feel terrible, it was 3 years ago or so, and always wondered how long it sat there fully set up until someone took it...

Cool

Somewhere in PA my wife and I were in a shelter and after everyone got to sleep we started doing our thing. Next thing I know some creeper guy is staring at us, so I was like, "What do you want to join or something?" he didn't say anything and just kept staring. I didn't break eye contact with him until I finished. Dude was a total creep.

j/k

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shakey_snake View Post
    Somewhere in PA my wife and I were in a shelter and after everyone got to sleep we started doing our thing. Next thing I know some creeper guy is staring at us, so I was like, "What do you want to join or something?" he didn't say anything and just kept staring. I didn't break eye contact with him until I finished. Dude was a total creep.

j/k
    Really? You were doing it a public place and he was the creep?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Really? You were doing it a public place and he was the creep?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    the "j/k" at the bottom of his message stands for Just Kidding.

Images

Had a few too many beers at the Doyle...

Not a problem except for the headache the next day for 5-6 miles (HUI). I forgot what 14 pound weight loss can do to change your tolerance for alcohol.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++