WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

How about just The Golden Rule and leave the sexism out of it.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    ya mean the one about treating each other with respect? yeah, that do er too.

In this case, the OP suggests that it is proper for men to refrain from taking actions that could make women uncomfortable on the trail. I'm not sure how inaction could be perceived as sexist. Is a guy being sexist by refraining from making advances on a woman met on the trail thinking that the setting could possibly result in discomfort for the woman if the feelings are not mutual? It seems difficult to accept that the act of not taking action is somehow sexist.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    In this case, the OP suggests that it is proper for men to refrain from taking actions that could make women uncomfortable on the trail. I'm not sure how inaction could be perceived as sexist. Is a guy being sexist by refraining from making advances on a woman met on the trail thinking that the setting could possibly result in discomfort for the woman if the feelings are not mutual? It seems difficult to accept that the act of not taking action is somehow sexist.
    I agree with this ^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    Of course inaction could be due to prejudiced intentions... Sexism, racism, or any kind of prejudice. If I don't stop for a hitchhiker, despite having planned on doing so, because he's a [blank] would that not be a prejudiced act? The concept of this thread is a bit less black and white, but make no mistake; inaction can be just as insidious as action when motivated by prejudices.As for this thread... The concept is sexist. In literal terms it just is. But then again many customs that are considered 'polite' in our culture are. The only problem I have with this little rant we've been blessed with, is that it perpetuates the 'men are scary' mindset that seems to be so prevalent today. As if us good guys need to be on guard when hiking to ward off all the bad ones chasing our women... Do we really need to paint that picture? Just be a man, on and off the trail. If you know what that means then you're probably already doing it, and if you don't then reading this thread isn't gonna help you.

Images

I don't think it perpetuates that "men are scary." I think JB was just trying to say we have an obligation to look out for each other. And look, I'm sure we've all met creepy dudes on the Trail. I've refused to share shelters w/ guys cause they creep me out, and I'm a 6'3 235lb former football player.

Like I said earlier, we all have an obligation to not make others feel uncomfortable.

Agree. Golden Rule. Why is this thread even necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Agree. Golden Rule. Why is this thread even necessary?
    yeah really. much ado over nothing. i guess folks like making mountains out of mole hills

++ New Posts ++