The unwritten rule and taboo threads are nifty- but one got missed and I'm not sure where it fits.

On the AT, and really any outdoors adventure there is a general gentleman's agreement held by all in my experience. It always seemed to be common knowledge to me but I suppose falls into the unwritten rule category.

Quite simply-
Any female encountered in the woods is your Sister, Aunt, or Grandmother depending upon whatever category suits you best. Regardless of relation any lady encountered is treated as such.

You'll note that all of these familial categories are non-sexual. If it turns out that you are not legally related and the woman in question quite clearly makes her amerous intentions clear that's one thing, but in all other situations treat any woman encountered as off limits.

My understanding was that besides simple gentlemanly behaviour, a concerted effort was made to welcome, and therefore increase the female population on the trail to the benifit of all by being excessively polite, kind, and if not outright brotherly, at least neutral on the subject.

Sexist? perhaps-
The rule is not meant to coddle the ladies, mainly to spare them the "ravenous glare" of men who spend a long time without female companionship and lovelorn hikers hoping to find love on the trail from swarming any prospects. It was a general agreement to keep it friendly and welcoming.

The right thing to do? I always thought so.

In recent years though the female population has increased, and while I still firmly believe in this attitude and behavior, I wonder how others feel and if this attitude still exists?

I firmly agree that a woman can handle her self, but why should she have to handle her fellow hikers on top of handling the hike?

I ask because that question comes up, and I wonder if it's because the unwritten gentleman's rule should be unwritten no longer.