WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I can think of worst things in life.
    Mostly, the opposite.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

My rule on that? Treat any ladies that I encounter on the trail as if I'm a gentleman who's happily married and wants to remain so.

If my use of the terms 'gentleman' and 'lady' offends, so be it. I'm a bit old-fashioned in the manners department. Although I'm modern enough to believe that sexism is never gentlemanly.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    My rule on that? Treat any ladies that I encounter on the trail as if I'm a gentleman who's happily married and wants to remain so.

If my use of the terms 'gentleman' and 'lady' offends, so be it. I'm a bit old-fashioned in the manners department. Although I'm modern enough to believe that sexism is never gentlemanly.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    I think the church groups that lured hikers in with promise of food, just so they could preach to them, stopped or slowed way down b/c the word got out about what they were doing & hikers got "wise" to it.
    The best meal I had was an older couple that left a sign on the trail inviting hikers to thier house for an exceptional meal. The couple waited on us as in a restaurant, served us well. After the meal he asked for 5 minutes of our time in which he presented his religious message. Only a fool would pass up such a fantastic meal because they had to listen to someone for 5 minutes, and some folks did.

My spoken rule on that is to always behave as a gentleman toward everyone until something else is required. When trouble finds you, or someone in your vicinity, sometimes you have to drop the gentle part, in order to do the right thing.
    My unspoken rule wouldn't be unspoken if I told it.

Images

always do the gentleman think, like pistols at dawn

i got guns into the thread
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Let's put it to a vote... Now there's politics!
    Biggie

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Sierra, Don't believe everything you hear.

There was a post where this hiker recounted how he was offered three different kraft beers-- because his hosts wanted to make sure he was happy-- handed a pizza by his hosts kid, and then gifted the hosts wife in the middle of the night. This was all set up by a local outfitter, who made a practice of doing so for people with the right looks.

The same individual the spoke of another 1/2 hour encounter with a yoga instructed with magical eyes up the trail some.

All in VT, of course.

i mean really. Do you think a Trail Angel would ever have offered a hiker 3 different kinds of Kraft beer?
    Bull**** of the purest kind.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie Master View Post
    Let's put it to a vote... Now there's politics!
    OK, lets vote. Should we allow religion in this thread?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Wow. This thread sure careens all over the place. And it's breaking the speed limit too! How long until it crashes?

Are we back to the OP's question?
    Treat people with respect and worry not about anything else.
    That really means I don't need any blanket rules about anyone. I will treat each person respectfully. That also means that if I happen to meet and hang out with someone who interests me as more than a friend or a mate, then I will respectfully ask for a date. I have done this on the trail. If I am refused, then that's that and we're still friends and mates. Likewise if the date doesn't go well. And if the date goes well, heck, go on a second date! No need to make a big deal out of any of it. Takes some social skill but not a lot. (And for the record, I have been on both sides of this and it didn't cause problems.)

Whatever happened to the concept of dating? A friend of mine was wondering the other day about what to call her friend. They aren't boyfriend and girlfriend yet but they are more than friends. The concept of 'we're dating' was a revelation. Interesting phenomenon.
    Last edited by Meriadoc; 02-22-2014 at 21:58.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    Wow. This thread sure careens all over the place. And it's breaking the speed limit too! How long until it crashes?

Are we back to the OP's question?
    Treat people with respect and worry not about anything else.
    That really means I don't need any blanket rules about anyone. I will treat each person respectfully. That also means that if I happen to meet and hang out with someone who interests me as more than a friend or a mate, then I will respectfully ask for a date. I have done this on the trail. If I am refused, then that's that and we're still friends and mates. Likewise if the date doesn't go well. And if the date goes well, heck, go on a second date! No need to make a big deal out of any of it. Takes some social skill but not a lot. (And for the record, I have been on both sides of this and it didn't cause problems.)

Whatever happened to the concept of dating? A friend of mine was wondering the other day about what to call her friend. They aren't boyfriend and girlfriend yet but they are more than friends. The concept of 'we're dating' was a revelation. Interesting phenomenon.
    best post yet

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    best post yet
    A female co-worker, age of 30, told me "dating is the same as living together." "Oh really?", was all I could say.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    A female co-worker, age of 30, told me "dating is the same as living together." "Oh really?", was all I could say.
    I guess I don't want to know what "going steady" means, other than I'm getting old

I believe that most women on the trail want to be treated as equals but, I do believe that they also like to be treated as women off the trail and like to have car doors opened for them, walking them on the inside of the sidewalk and stuff like that. I treat all women as I would treat my wife, with respect.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    I guess I don't want to know what "going steady" means, other than I'm getting old
    Being old beats getting old.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    I guess I don't want to know what "going steady" means
    It means that there is continuity, such as seen here in this thread, which is "going steadily" downhill.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Feminists teach that we are all equal. So why should I treat a woman any different from another man?

But for the record, I think that our society has forgotten how to teach its boys to be gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    Bull**** of the purest kind.
    Did I ever tell you about the time I thru-hiked Waikiki beach with the all nude female Swedish backpacking team?
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I open my car door for anyone who rides with me

The handle is broken !

Good manners are always appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk
    This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++