WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Yummy Albacore Tuna?

Found these in the store today. Bumblebee Albacore Tuna in 2.5 oz foil packages, each 170 cals/oz in three different flavors(Chipotle & Olive Oil, Jalapenos & Olive Oil, Sundried Tomatoes & Olive Oil). I paid $1.38/package. The site I found picturing them says their price is $3.09 though. Seems like a good cals/oz ratio compared to reg Albacore or Tuna packed in water AND sounds darn tastier than the reg tuna packed in water too. I'm going to try them in burritos and with a Knorrs Sides. Still have good amts of protein too. http://www.shopfoodex.com/bumble-pri...h-p-52569.html

I'm always hesitant on buying something that is flavored, cause many times it to strong for my taste, but i'll take your word for it, and a chance, thanks DW.

I just used that site to show the nutrition and present a picture. That's not the normal price. It's less than that. That was a site that adds in delivery costs. The price for these are regularly in the neighborhood of what I paid at a local large grocery store when not on sale. Considering that Reg Bumblebee Albacore packed in water is 80 cals for the same 2.5 oz package this is providing more than twice the cals with the same wt while also introducing some added flavor. Here check out the difference in nutrition. This is the Albacore in water. http://www.shopfoodex.com/bumble-alb...FcY7OgodfwEA3A Don't confuse the cans with the foil packs either because the same flavors are available in both. The

they're great, i eat them at home and usually pack 2 a day on the trail. family size

Yeah, I like Olive oil, and sun dried tomatoes, but sometimes those sundries can be just to darn strong an over power the main dish...for my liking...will give it a try.

I'm interested. Very interested.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I eat them all the time and they come in other flavors also. Yummmmmo

I had quit using tuna as the regular only had 70 calories and had switched to spam at 210. With this tuna being .5 oz lighter than spam, it makes the cal per oz about the same 70 vs 68. Might start taking tuna again as I like it with my ramen. Thanks for posting this.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    I eat them all the time and they come in other flavors also. Yummmmmo
    Where do you get them?

it is found at your local supermarket along with the other canned tuna, usually standing up either in display boxes or on shelf. Also check out complete dry bean soup mixes in the international isle. All you do is add to water and simmer. Comes in many different flavors and is only 1"x5" packages and very light. Great protein source

A packet of this with a tortilla (or two) makes a good trail lunch! I've tried them before.

Images

They have them at Walmart and Kroger here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

I've been taking a packet of plane Starkist Albacore Tuna in Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It's about 190 calories!
    "Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still." ~Carl Sagan~

Images

What I have found, generally, is that the prices for canned stuff are quite a bit cheaper for the same quantity of food.
    When foil packaging first hit the marketplace my first reaction was, wow lighter weight. But I have found that an empty can doesn't weigh much more than an empty foil pack. When you factor in the quantity of food, often the empty smaller portion foil packs weigh more than an empty can given the same weight of food. Cans are surprising light, or should I say, the foil packs are surprisingly heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjohnson2043 View Post
    I've been taking a packet of plane Starkist Albacore Tuna in Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It's about 190 calories!
    Are you sure that wasn't the Yellowtail Tuna in Olive Oil in 2.6 oz foil packages. I was getting that for a while but I'm not noticing it on shelves anywhere where I used to buy it. That was a sweet 190 cal/oz! Everywhere I found it it was priced quite a bit higher than these newer to me versions which just last night I found for $1.29/package. That's another reason why I like these newer to me tuna versions - they are substantially less expensive and I eat quite a bit of tuna on trail. Starkist does offer a Chunk Light Tuna in Sunflower Oil in 2.6 oz foild packets at 150 cals/oz.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    What I have found, generally, is that the prices for canned stuff are quite a bit cheaper for the same quantity of food.
    When foil packaging first hit the marketplace my first reaction was, wow lighter weight. But I have found that an empty can doesn't weigh much more than an empty foil pack. When you factor in the quantity of food, often the empty smaller portion foil packs weigh more than an empty can given the same weight of food. Cans are surprising light, or should I say, the foil packs are surprisingly heavy.
    It's interesting that you say that. It seems to me canned tuna has much more liquid or water wt than than the same tuna in foil packets. Is that just my perception? The thing about cans though for me is that they will not burn as the foil packets will in a very hot campfire.

4eyedbuzzard, compare Chunk light Tuna packed in water in foil 2.6 oz foil packets with it in 3 oz cans. Same 70 cals in each. They are putting more water in the canned tuna!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Are you sure that wasn't the Yellowtail Tuna in Olive Oil in 2.6 oz foil packages. I was getting that for a while but I'm not noticing it on shelves anywhere where I used to buy it. That was a sweet 190 cal/oz! Everywhere I found it it was priced quite a bit higher than these newer to me versions which just last night I found for $1.29/package. That's another reason why I like these newer to me tuna versions - they are substantially less expensive and I eat quite a bit of tuna on trail. Starkist does offer a Chunk Light Tuna in Sunflower Oil in 2.6 oz foild packets at 150 cals/oz.
    Oops. You're right. It was the Yellowfin. I've thought about those flavored varieties but I haven't tried them yet. I might start just picking up the plain tuna and adding olive oil myself. It doesn't take much to add a ton of calories. It'd probably be a lot cheaper that way anyway.
    "Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still." ~Carl Sagan~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    4eyedbuzzard, compare Chunk light Tuna packed in water in foil 2.6 oz foil packets with it in 3 oz cans. Same 70 cals in each. They are putting more water in the canned tuna!
    I was more thinking of the Albacore / solid white in oil (I don't care for the texture of "light" tuna). Much less fluid in solid tuna than in the "light" stuff, and lots of calories from the oil (no, I don't drain it, and worry more about getting enough calories than too few).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++