WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    There may be more serious diseases, such as Lyme, but there are few illnesses, as quickly devastating as Norovirus. Does anyone wish to be pooping and puking for 24-48 hrs away from home and its conveniences? Norovirus, is spread quickly and from person to person. Lyme is spread by tick. There is a far lower incidence of Lyme compared to Norovirus. Everyone needs to practice basic hygiene and avoidance.
    I have nowhere said that people shouldn't practice proper hygiene. Kraken Sullz asked if there were any other worries. I responded. And whether you like it or not, from a personal medical standpoint noro is nowhere near as devastating a disease or injury as contracting Lyme or other tick borne diseases, or injuring a joint or breaking a limb. It is a bigger public health issue, due to how widespread it is. 20 million people in the US get some sort of norovirus infection each year. Unless there is an underlying medical condition though, virtual all recover within a few days. Not so with Lyme and other tick born diseases, which can lead to years of suffering. Joint injuries, broken bones, etc, can also negatively affect people for years. Sorry, but there's just no comparison in severity.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries

Default am

Quote Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
    Thinking back things she noticed. Those who treated water from streams did not let the Aqua react for 5 min, they waited at most 1 min and when it turned yellow they poured it into their bottle. The water is always cold, they started using it 15 min later not waiting a full 30 for cold water.

ClO2 treatment protocol is based on deactivating giardia. Bacteria and viruses are ridiculously simple by comparison.

Treatment is by "CT" This is concentration (ppm) x time( minutes).
    Typical solution concentration of 4ppm is achieved when following directions. 1mg/liter = 1 ppm. 4 ppm for 30 minutes would be 120 mg-min/L

Giardia is deactivated (not killed, sterilized) 1000 fold in only about 5 minutes .

norovirus.png

the CT time for norovirus is < 0.5 mg-min/liter for a 4 log (10,000 x reduction) at 5 C. Easily achievable no matter what you do. Even less at room temp.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-23-2014 at 23:26.

Last edited by rocketsocks; 02-23-2014 at 23:29. Reason: started new thread to pose question on aqua mira.

Journal Entries
    Images

Usually from the hands through the eyes. Gets on the hand touch the eyes and the bug is in the system.

In 2012 I got (self diagnosed) norovirus in Hot Springs. I felt good when I arrived in the AM but was sick by the evening. It was rough for a few days, but I was fortunate to be in town. Real hand washing on the trail doesn't happen all that often. It was my practice to avoid shaking hands with new friends, because we were all less than clean. I started wondering about the shelter logs because it was something that almost everyone touched. Interesting that the outbreak happened again in 2013 in the same area.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++