WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Peanut Butter Filled Pretels

I just discovered these! They're glorious! I can't stop eating them! Has anyone else brought them on the trail? It seems like they have a good amount of calories and are pretty lightweight.
    "Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still." ~Carl Sagan~

Hope they are better than M&M's stuffed with pretzels, will NEVER buy again.

Have had cheese filled pretzels, like those.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Those are delicious! Haven't taken them on the trail.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Thinkin of having those on my next AT hike as well. Also, choco covered pretzels, pretzel M&M's, anything that has peanut butter and even chips with salsa.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Thinkin of having those on my next AT hike as well. Also, choco covered pretzels, pretzel M&M's, anything that has peanut butter and even chips with salsa.
    I wonder what rehydrated salsa is like. Seems to me it would dehydrate really well, much like "bark" as Chef Glenn likes to say.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    I wonder what rehydrated salsa is like. Seems to me it would dehydrate really well, much like "bark" as Chef Glenn likes to say.
    Good question FarmerChef! Haven't had dried salsa before, so I thought it was worth a try. Most edible things I haven't had on the trail before, I make up a batch and try them. Right now I still have the bag of dried salsa with all my dried meats and veggies. Gonna have to test the salsa out this summer just to be sure, yet I think it will be great. I dry pasta sauce also and that comes out awesome every time, so the salsa would be most likely have the same results. Can't wait to see the loo on other hiker's faces when they see me eating chips/salsa on the trail. More than likely they would think I am a dreaded weekender or day hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjohnson2043 View Post
    I just discovered these! They're glorious! I can't stop eating them! Has anyone else brought them on the trail? It seems like they have a good amount of calories and are pretty lightweight.
    Yummm.... sounds good! I'll have to try some.

You can usually get them in huge plastic tubs for a few bucks but the "real world" calorie/servings is 140 for 8 pretzels! I'd probably eat dozens of them while I'm hiking as a great snack!
    "Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still." ~Carl Sagan~

Bet you can not eat just one.
    The large size container does not set around very long on my counter. Good stuff. Forget the label, a serving size is what ever you can hold in your hand. Lucky I got big hands. Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls Kanardly View Post
    The large size container does not set around very long on my counter. Good stuff. Forget the label, a serving size is what ever you can hold in your hand. Lucky I got big hands. Rolls
    Haha! A serving size for me is usually several hand fulls!

Images

My boss keep tubs of these in the office as give away snacks. Needless to say my boss gets frequent visitors to his office.

I had these last year when I was backpacking-- perfect treat!

I've dried salsa, kimchi, hummus, baba ganoush, refried beans, sriracha, and a load of other things. You can pretty much dry anything you like as long as the fat content isn't too high.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

A pico de gallo style salsa comes back decent for chips and salsa. Same with Salsa verde or other similiar styles.

The tomatoes are really the problem, they never plump back up so a traditional chunky salsa never works quite right for dipping. But these styles work fine as a leather to cook with and work great as an add in to grains to spice them up. Salsa and corn grits is a good one.

Images

got some at the local fresh market the other day these things are habit forming great snack and pretty light weight

Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjohnson2043 View Post
    Oh yeah. These and combos are two of my favorite salty trail foods

Journal Entries
    Images

in maine we can get the Peanut Butter Filled Pretels at the dollar store. agreed yummers

++ New Posts ++