WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Down Jackets

Cool Down Jackets

I am trying to decide if I will need a down jacket doing a NOBO on the AT beginning April 1, 2014?

Help anyone??

Images

no, you dont.

You never know, froze my hinny off in a down jacket this April, sent it home at Fontana last April. The best you can do is check the forcast before you leave and plan for the worse, I would take it.

You will probably need a jacket. Doesn't necessarily have to be down.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

If you have one, yes, bring it. If not, a light fleece and layers will do. Down is so nice to relax in camp...

Garlic
    Images

Some warm fluffy insulation is a good idea. I took a down vest on my early April start and used it a couple of times. Or I could have bailed out into town on the cold days and spent the money the down vest cost on lodging and meals.

Journal Entries

Found a cloadveil for a $100 on Amazon. I am taking it. Early April start myself.

Journal Entries

I'm bringing mine. They are lightweight and better safe than sorry eh? Plus, makes a good pillow

I set foot on trail on 25-Mar, not taking a full on winter down jacket, but a lightweight version for sure. At < ½ lb why not, doubles as a pillow or if it gets really chilly I can add a sleeping layer.

Yeah, you're saying he's from the Cayman Islands right? I was raised in the snow belt though and done my fair share of time in the Whites, so I'm at least familiar with cold. April won't be cold, but when you stop....chilled maybe.
    Last edited by LAF; 02-25-2014 at 12:44.

Quote Originally Posted by psyenz View Post
    I set foot on trail on 25-Mar, not taking a full on winter down jacket, but a lightweight version for sure. At < ½ lb why not, doubles as a pillow or if it gets really chilly I can add a sleeping layer.

Yeah, you're saying he's from the Cayman Islands right? I was raised in the snow belt though and done my fair share of time in the Whites, so I'm at least familiar with cold. April won't be cold, but when you stop....chilled maybe.
    I had to pass up a free week trip to Cayman Brac at Christmas while the wife, kids and grandkids gathered at a beach house...had to stay home and dog sit, maybe next time.

You a diver? Little Cayman has the best diving in the caymans and arguably in the Caribbean, but if you go there all you doing is divin (or drinkin). Don't pass up another trip there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by psyenz View Post
    You a diver? Little Cayman has the best diving in the caymans and arguably in the Caribbean, but if you go there all you doing is divin (or drinkin). Don't pass up another trip there

The first time I met my future son-in-law he told me he had grandparents from the Caymans, I asked how long they'd lived there, he said his ancestors were the original colonizers of the islands, his parents and uncles/aunts all still have homes there. I'm no diver but he free dives to 100 feet, can hold his breath for four minutes, the guy has spent as much time in the water as on dry land, before they got married my daughter knew she had to get certified to dive.

Default Down Jackets

Very cool - well then, you need to go to cayman and get certified, i'd be happy to run you thru the drill

Btw, didn't mean to imply diving on the brac was bad, it's actually quite good, just not as good as Liitle. In fact, I'm looking to move to the brac after my thru

Last edited by LAF; 02-25-2014 at 14:36.

Its never a bad thing to have. You can also use it as a pillow!

Down quickly sweats out and becomes heavy and non-insulative if you are wearing it while hiking. Save it for in camp.

Cosmo

++ New Posts ++