Default Juniper springs to Alexander springs..?

Hi all,

Thinking about a 2 day walk with my youngest in mid March. Rough plan is park at Juniper springs, hike to the Farles rec area, camp overnight and then finish the hike to Alexander springs the next day.

Can anyone comment of the walk? Looks scenic and total mileage is around 18 miles. I'm a bit concerned about crowds at the rec areas though we'll be walking mid week.

I'm interested in any input. Thanks in advance.

Also, any suggestions on shuttle serves at either spring? We could reverse the hike if a ride back to the truck was easier from Juniper.

W-M

I'm pretty sure that Farles Prairie Recreation Area only allows camping during hunting season (hunt camp).

Plenty of off trail areas before and after that that you can tent (follow dispersed camping rules).

Should still be able to water up there.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Monkey is right about Farles, might want to try reserving Buck Lake, one of my favorite sites. The scenery is great, a jewel of the Florida Trail, just remember to put your hiking pole out in front of you as the Golden silk orb-weaver spiders aka Banana spiders will be out in force, not poisonous nor biting, but will freak you out if you get one in the face! As for shuttles, right now we have an absence of shuttle services in the ONF. Buck n Bass used to provide it, but recently decided to stop.
    Last edited by lilricky; 02-24-2014 at 23:36.
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

Thanks.

Buck lake seems to be all or nothing. If you reserve it you own the whole camping spot. I don't want to do that for 2 tents. As far as I understand the rules camping is allowed throughout the park so I'm sure we can find a nice spot in the vicinity.

I'm still researching to see if any of the local businesses will provide shuttle. Supposedly there's canoe shop that might..

Plan "B" is to drive up with 2 vehicles...park one at Clearwater Lake rec area and then drive up to Juniper to start.

Hoping for cooler weather....

Just be aware that Spring Turkey Season might be going on during the time you are planning on being out there.

Spring Turkey: March 20-23, 27-30, April 3-6 and 10-13.

Here is the link to the states website with hunting dates:
    http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures/ne/ocala/

Quote Originally Posted by CarlAshcraft View Post
    Just be aware that Spring Turkey Season might be going on during the time you are planning on being out there.

Spring Turkey: March 20-23, 27-30, April 3-6 and 10-13.

Here is the link to the states website with hunting dates:
    http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures/ne/ocala/
    Thanks and saw that. We'll be in there around the 10th so should be good.

Cool, let us know if the canoe shop does shuttling, we need someone in the area.
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

There is a re-route from the Farless Lake picnic area north four miles. It is rather rough hiking. I walked thru that area 2/21/14. The old rout s now in the bombing area Rather than camping at Farles you could find a place o camp in the woods before or after.

+1 on the roughness of the newly relocated trail north of Farles Lake! I hiked it on Sat. 2/2/14 and it was a challenge for the blisters that covered the ball of my right foot and right heel! It was the longest 4 miles I've ever hiked!

Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    +1 on the roughness of the newly relocated trail north of Farles Lake! I hiked it on Sat. 2/2/14 and it was a challenge for the blisters that covered the ball of my right foot and right heel! It was the longest 4 miles I've ever hiked!
    Can you elaborate and define what made the trail so miserable? Hogs rooting around? I know one year I hiked with the kids out to Oak Grove in Myakka and the last 2 miles or so were rooted to hell by hogs. It was like hiking in a field plowed by a drunk farmer....is that what you're referring to?
    Last edited by Weather-man; 03-08-2014 at 08:00.

It's new trail, not broken in yet.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Liked WingedMonkey said its a new trail! The vegetation in that area is very thick, so you can imagine the number of sharp stakes left after they cut it down.
    Makes for some hard walking! Makes for tortuous walking if you have blisters on the bottoms of your feet!

Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    Liked WingedMonkey said its a new trail! The vegetation in that area is very thick, so you can imagine the number of sharp stakes left after they cut it down.
    Makes for some hard walking! Makes for tortuous walking if you have blisters on the bottoms of your feet!
    Ah ha! Thanks for the heads up guys. Still having trouble finding a a shuttle. We may just pick a spring, hike 10 or so out and then circle back the next day. Based on this input perhaps the best plan is to stay south of Farles.

Quote Originally Posted by Weather-man View Post
    Ah ha! Thanks for the heads up guys. Still having trouble finding a a shuttle. We may just pick a spring, hike 10 or so out and then circle back the next day. Based on this input perhaps the best plan is to stay south of Farles.
    I'm hiking through Ocala in April and also needed a shuttle ride. I post an Ad on craigslist and received two responses. You may want to give them a call. Valerie Marra 352-566-6469 or Julie 352-566-7817. Let me know how you make out.

Just got back a few hours ago. Decided to go South from Alexander Springs and did a 21 mile loop to Clearwater Lake Rec center and back. Slept at the lake and then walked back to the springs this morning. Very easy walking and some beautiful terrain....all sorts of different ecosystems and the weather was just great. Nice walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Weather-man View Post
    .all sorts of different ecosystems
    Some folks just can't get that understanding. Glad you have.

++ New Posts ++