WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Virginia Section hike ideas for newbie

If you were to select a 5-6 day section hike in early April for a newbie in VA, which of these hikes would be best for a newbie who hasn't backpacked since the 70's but is in decent shape otherwise? Estimate 8-12 miles per day.

a. Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers: Damascus to Grayson Highlands SP, plus Scales Loop trail, maybe another loop trail, approx 46 miles

b. VA-42 to US-220/Daleville: (keffer oak, Audie Murphy memorial, Dragons Tooth, McAfees Know, Tinker cliffs) approx 52 miles

c. Buena Vista (Hwy-60) to Rockfish Gap/ Wayensboro, approx 55 miles

d. Any 50-55 mile section north of Waynesboro in SNP.

Open to comments, etc. regarding relative difficulty of each section, places to stage 2 vehicles also is a factor.

tia for any advice

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    If you were to select a 5-6 day section hike in early April for a newbie in VA, which of these hikes would be best for a newbie who hasn't backpacked since the 70's but is in decent shape otherwise? Estimate 8-12 miles per day.

a. Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers: Damascus to Grayson Highlands SP, plus Scales Loop trail, maybe another loop trail, approx 46 miles

b. VA-42 to US-220/Daleville: (keffer oak, Audie Murphy memorial, Dragons Tooth, McAfees Know, Tinker cliffs) approx 52 miles

c. Buena Vista (Hwy-60) to Rockfish Gap/ Wayensboro, approx 55 miles

d. Any 50-55 mile section north of Waynesboro in SNP.

Open to comments, etc. regarding relative difficulty of each section, places to stage 2 vehicles also is a factor.

tia for any advice
    A. first choice and C. second choice

One stretch of VA I don't need to hike again, that would be the stretch just north of Pearisburg... Kelly Knob, Sinking Creek Mtn. Boring. And haunted. Option C is nice, enjoy the view from Cedar Cliffs up near Waynesboro.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

B. A. D. C. in that order. If they're in decent shape and have their gear/style/procedures down then any of those are fine. If they need a little breathing room with plenty of easy bailout options then D wins hands down in my book. B. is fantastically beautiful and lots of fun though it does enjoy a few strenuous climbs, especially for a newbie and doesn't have quite as many easy bailout options as D. Can't beat McAfee's Knob, Tinker Cliffs or Dragon's Tooth. And don't discount the reservoir near Roanoke. I really enjoyed the hike around it on our way.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

A would be first and B 2nd.

Instead of starting in Damascus start at Elk Grove and head NOBO to Atkins. I love this section because of the constant change in scenery, running into wild ponies, and being able to order a pizza from Partnership shelter

B is an awesome hike for some very iconic views.

If your going to do SNP incorporate Old Rag into your section. The rock scrambles and bouldering is fun

As you can tell by the answers, there are a lot of perspectives on this. The biggest reason for this is that all 4 are great choices. I'm kind of partial to A and B, but C and D are by no means poor options. If you have to, flip an coin and have a wonderful time on any of them.

I always say you can't go wrong anywhere in VA. I would recommend the 75 miles SOBO from Atkins to Damascus. If you're hiking SOBO and fall behind pace you can always walk the Creeper Trail to make up time.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

I did 603 back to Damascus 40 miles through Grayson/mt Rogers was amazing! Best 2.5 days on he trail so far!! Recently did roan mtn in nc as it was also great didn't compare to mt Rogers and Grayson highland....imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'm not convinced that I'd send an (old) newbie on section A in April; you never know what kind of weather they will get up there. A month or two later and that would be my first choice, although as fredmugs suggests I'd start in Atkins and cover the 75 miles in 6 days.

I've always thought that Section B offers a lot of great views for the effort. I'd recommend that for an April section hike.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

We are in similar situations (age, experience, etc...), except I am planning a 6 day VA hike in summer rather than April.

I was planning on VA635 - Stony Creek NOBO to US 220 Daleville (71 mi).
    I have just one more major piece of gear to buy and then I'll be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    B. A. D. C. in that order. If they're in decent shape and have their gear/style/procedures down then any of those are fine. If they need a little breathing room with plenty of easy bailout options then D wins hands down in my book. B. is fantastically beautiful and lots of fun though it does enjoy a few strenuous climbs, especially for a newbie and doesn't have quite as many easy bailout options as D. Can't beat McAfee's Knob, Tinker Cliffs or Dragon's Tooth. And don't discount the reservoir near Roanoke. I really enjoyed the hike around it on our way.
    Agree.......................

I wouldn't recommend option C for a beginner (or re-beginner as the case may be). The person might find the climbs of Bald Knob and Three Ridges overwhelming.

Option A would normally be great -- the person could perhaps do the AT / Iron Mtn. Trail loop. And, if spring comes in full force by then, it might be the best option. But, with this winter giving mixed signals, early April could still be quite rough at elevation.

So, of the remaining options, I would think option B would be the most rewarding for your friend. Sinking Creek Mtn. is pretty cool, and then hitting Catawba's Big Three (as well as often-overlooked Hay Rock, as mentioned above) would be a great capping stone to the experience and likely leave your friend thirsty for more post-hike.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Newbie - can't beat Shenandoah in early April!!

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Southerner View Post
    I wouldn't recommend option C for a beginner (or re-beginner as the case may be). The person might find the climbs of Bald Knob and Three Ridges overwhelming.

Option A would normally be great -- the person could perhaps do the AT / Iron Mtn. Trail loop. And, if spring comes in full force by then, it might be the best option. But, with this winter giving mixed signals, early April could still be quite rough at elevation.

So, of the remaining options, I would think option B would be the most rewarding for your friend. Sinking Creek Mtn. is pretty cool, and then hitting Catawba's Big Three (as well as often-overlooked Hay Rock, as mentioned above) would be a great capping stone to the experience and likely leave your friend thirsty for more post-hike.

I agree!

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

A then B...C, to me, is one of the roughest hikes in Va. If you do B set yourself up so you can hit he Homeplace...after all you're out for the total "section experience."
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

For a newbie, I would choose D unless solitude is a priority.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Because you said April, I'd say B. If you had said June, I would have answered A which I like better. Save A until the rhodedendrons(sp?) bloom and either change it to Elk Gardens-Atkins or take the Creeper Trail into or out of Damascus

Also to factor into D - since you said early April, take note that some of the services in SNP may not be open yet, in case they would think of wanting to use those.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Also to factor into D - since you said early April, take note that some of the services in SNP may not be open yet, in case they would think of wanting to use those.

Hadn't thought of that.

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisi...g-schedule.htm

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++