WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Cat Hole Shovels

Greetings,

Planing to do a thru-hike this year going NOBO. This is my first thru-hike. Much research as been done and I have reviewed many gear list. Seems like 99% of the time the list do not include a cat hole shovel. I am wondering why it is that I don't see it listen in list or videos. Makes me think that there may be a lot of crap, literately out there.

So while I am putting my gear together, should it really be in my gear list?
    Alvin

Im taking one. I read a few things about it being essential on certain parts of the trail.

Cat Hole shovels are great, but on the other hand so are rocks and sticks, and even your poles. Very rarely is the ground ever that hard that you cant dig a proper hole with a rock. Every single person I met on trail did this. The people who started with one always sent it home.
    That being said there really is a lot of people who just crap anywhere. Especially in Georgia.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I think I may use a rock as well, heck why carry something that I may be possibly sending home.
    Thanks again for the info.

Happy Trails
    Alvin

"Especially in Georgia".

You see that a LOT with negative connotations. History says 1 in 8 NOBO's finish....well, GA sees 8 in 8 NOBO's. Keep that in mind. It's not GA's fault.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

My hiking pole has always worked well for this purpose.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

I use a tent peg, it has a dual use and works better than the shovel I had. Thanks to Winton Porter @ Mountain Crossing outfitters.
    Thanks,
    Sidewinder2013

Agreed. A shovel is unnecessary weight.

I've seen almost no serious hikers carrying cat-hole shovels. Occasionally seen being carried by newbs, weekenders, and youngsters in organized outings. Now maybe the catholes I've dug haven't all been to regulation depth, but hiking poles generally suffice for the digging that needs to be done, and if not poles, then a stick.

I was unwilling to carry the 2 oz plastic shovel and tried using my hiking pole. It just doesn't dig deep enough.

Then I found the Big Dig on Qiwiz's site. He makes a sharp edged titanium shovel that weighs 0.4 oz. Great!

I decided to carry a shovel out of courtesy to those hikers who tread where I crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    I decided to carry a shovel out of courtesy to those hikers who tread where I crap.
    thank you for that.
    while walking toward outerbridge shelter last summer, someone had placed a BIG one on top of a rock just next to the spring. how disgusting!
    it would be nice if people had a little more respect for the outdoors and others who hike there.
    Last edited by atbackpacker; 02-26-2014 at 07:35.

I carry a REI snow stake for digging regulation depth holes. It weighs one ounce. It is sometimes possible to use sticks or rocks but if the soil is rocky or particularly hard, the snow stake is well worth having unless I know in advance that the soil is soft where I plan to hike.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Invest in a pair of shoes with a sturdy heel.

I'm carrying a titanium scoopy thing.

I have bad joints in my hands, and a trowel is easier for me than using a stick or pole to peck out a 6-8 inch deep hole. That being said, if I could use a stick, I would. Knowing that I personally am doing the best I can to minimize my own impact is worth carrying an extra 3 ounces.

Now that I've made my proud announcement, of course, by the time I get to Mountain Crossings, I'll probably suck it up, use a stick, and send the trowel home. You all have permission to snicker at me when I do so!

Quote Originally Posted by Schnitzel View Post
    I'm carrying a titanium scoopy thing.

I have bad joints in my hands, and a trowel is easier for me than using a stick or pole to peck out a 6-8 inch deep hole. That being said, if I could use a stick, I would. Knowing that I personally am doing the best I can to minimize my own impact is worth carrying an extra 3 ounces.

Now that I've made my proud announcement, of course, by the time I get to Mountain Crossings, I'll probably suck it up, use a stick, and send the trowel home. You all have permission to snicker at me when I do so!
    You can buy a plastic one that weighs 2 oz and cost only a couple of bucks....you could then throw it away at Mountain Crossings and save the shipping cost of sending it back home....have a good hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    You can buy a plastic one that weighs 2 oz and cost only a couple of bucks....you could then throw it away at Mountain Crossings and save the shipping cost of sending it back home....have a good hike.
    Eh - I already have the titanium thing - it was a gift, so I kinda have to at least give it a fair go. Besides, I'm assuming that I'll be sending home more stuff than just a scoop. I'm a realist.

Thank you for the good wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Invest in a pair of shoes with a sturdy heel.
    I've never understood how anyone can dig a cat hole with the heel of a shoe or boot or what the big deal is with carrying one ounce in order to dig a cat hole.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    I was unwilling to carry the 2 oz plastic shovel and tried using my hiking pole. It just doesn't dig deep enough.

Then I found the Big Dig on Qiwiz's site. He makes a sharp edged titanium shovel that weighs 0.4 oz. Great!
    Based on personal experience, a plastic shovel is a waste... If the ground is soft enough for the plastic shovel to work, then the many other options listed above (such as tent stake) will do just as well. But if the ground is hard enough (or packed with enough roots) that you NEED a shovel, the plastic shovel isn't going to cut it.

Section Hiker

The ground off-trail in the forest is very soft, assuming it isn't frozen, and you can dig a hole with the heel of your shoe/boot. Poop in a hole, cover it up, leave no trace!!!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++