Default Buckman Lock south to Delancy

I am hoping to hike from Buckman Lock south to either the Rodman or Delancy trailheads this weekend. Does anyone know what the trail conditions are like? Especially how wet it will be. I often carry tevas for water crossings but as I am coming off a minor injury I am trying to eliminate every additional ounce.

Thanks

Just a reminder that the locks have someone on duty less hours now days. (use to be you could blow your whistle and get them to let you cross).

Locktenders hours are 6:30 am to 2 pm Thursday - Sunday. Thru-hikers that are FTA members can get the gate combination from the FTA office.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Thanks. I actually already called and checked about the lock. I was told they'd be on-duty during normal hours, 6:30-2:00. I was told to ring a buzzer at the gate and they'd open it. I'll also have the phone number with me.
    Last edited by perrymk; 02-27-2014 at 09:56.

Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

I did Rodman to 88 Store two weekends ago, camped at Lake Delancy the first night. (Delancy campground is free for backpackers on the FT--the east side is the quiet side) I was shocked how dry the trail was. We hiked the first few hours in a downpour, but the trail remained clear. I was expecting to hike in puddles all day, but the trail was nice. Must be the sandy soil that drains very well.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    I am hoping to hike from Buckman Lock south to either the Rodman or Delancy trailheads this weekend. Does anyone know what the trail conditions are like? Especially how wet it will be. I often carry tevas for water crossings but as I am coming off a minor injury I am trying to eliminate every additional ounce.

Thanks

Good to know. Thanks!

++ New Posts ++