WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Boots For Wet Snow?

What would be a good boot for wet sloppy snow? I'm looking for something waterproof that will keep my feet dry.
    Or is there a lightweight rubber overboot I could get to go over my regular boots? Thanks

Images

will you be hiking in these? i have never found a "waterproof" hiking boot. i take extra socks.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

The problem with "waterproof" boots is that when water inevitably gets inside, they take forever to dry out.

+1 on extra socks.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    will you be hiking in these? i have never found a "waterproof" hiking boot. i take extra socks.
    Yes will be hiking.
    Actually, I still have a really old pair (80's) of Timberland Iditarod insulated boots from when I lived in PA. They are made from water buffalo hide and they are waterproof but they're overkill and not too comfortable to hike in for any length of time. They look like this but not as in good of shape.
    Timberland.jpg

What makes them uncomfortable?

If it's buffalo hide you can take them to a boot shop and get them stretched. Or you could change out the inserts.

Sorrels. Yes, they will keep your feet dry all day, in wet snow. I use them for any backcountry hiking in winter, including the Whites.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    What makes them uncomfortable?

If it's buffalo hide you can take them to a boot shop and get them stretched. Or you could change out the inserts.
    They fit tight now. I can only get 1 thin insole with 1 pair of thin socks in. My feet just get sore after about 3 or 4 miles. They're good for when the trails down here get a little swampy.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Sorrels. Yes, they will keep your feet dry all day, in wet snow. I use them for any backcountry hiking in winter, including the Whites.
    Ahh yes Sorels, another blast form the past. They've been around for a while. any particular model you recommend? Not the ones with the felt liner. Something you can hike in.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    They fit tight now. I can only get 1 thin insole with 1 pair of thin socks in. My feet just get sore after about 3 or 4 miles. They're good for when the trails down here get a little swampy.
    You can get them stretched. Take them to a boot shop, like where they sell cowboy boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    You can get them stretched. Take them to a boot shop, like where they sell cowboy boots.
    Thanks, I'll have to look into that.

Images

NEOS overshoes work well, a little over 2 lb. I've used mine over heavy leather hiking boots and trail runners. They add a lot of warmth and seem waterproof. For cold weather I use a Sorel felt liner inside and no shoe; with extra socks this works for me down to -10F. They are not breathable, so for day after day use you'll need a vapor barrier sock or it gets wet inside from condensation.
    Mine is the NEOS adventurer model. It's tall enough that you don't need gaitors for deep snow:
    http://www.overshoesonline.com/ Some of the models don't have full soles; I'm skeptical that they would be fully waterproof. Mine have full lugged soles that are sturdier than many trail shoes and work on snowshoes.

For temps above freezing, trail runners with goretex socks work OK for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    NEOS overshoes work well, a little over 2 lb. I've used mine over heavy leather hiking boots and trail runners. They add a lot of warmth and seem waterproof. For cold weather I use a Sorel felt liner inside and no shoe; with extra socks this works for me down to -10F. They are not breathable, so for day after day use you'll need a vapor barrier sock or it gets wet inside from condensation.
    Mine is the NEOS adventurer model. It's tall enough that you don't need gaitors for deep snow:
    http://www.overshoesonline.com/ Some of the models don't have full soles; I'm skeptical that they would be fully waterproof. Mine have full lugged soles that are sturdier than many trail shoes and work on snowshoes.

For temps above freezing, trail runners with goretex socks work OK for me.
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into those goretex socks

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    Ahh yes Sorels, another blast form the past. They've been around for a while. any particular model you recommend? Not the ones with the felt liner. Something you can hike in.
    I dunno, the ones I own have thick fleece liners, rubber soles, leather uppers. They're quite tall, they come up a few inches above my ankles. I've traversed the Franconia Ridge with them, climbed a few other White Mtn. 4000 footers in them, but always day hikes (so far.)

You'd really only want to use these for serious winter or mud-season hiking. A winter peakbagger boot, not your usual through-hiker's glorified sneakers.

Journal Entries

Check out Wiggy's. They have pac boots for about $100.00. They're worth looking at. Liners are lamilite, removeable, and wearable as an around camp or the house "shoe."

These. With luck I'll be hiking up Kinsman with them tomorrow, though not on the AT. They've got a couple dozen miles of Winter in the Whites on 'em so far. Sorells. The liner's some kind of synthetic felt-like stuff. (Contrary to my earlier musing...)
    Attached Images Attached Images

These. With luck I'll be hiking up Kinsman with them tomorrow, though not on the AT. They've got a couple dozen miles of Winter in the Whites on 'em so far. Sorells. The liner's some kind of synthetic felt-like stuff. (Contrary to my earlier musing...)
    Anything with a felt liner always felt big and cluncky to me. I'm really looking for something without a liner. Those boots you posted are definitely the Sorel Conquest model as show on their web page. Some of the reviews of these boots aren't too swift.
    Sorel was a quality boot years ago but here's what happen to the Sorel company.
    So many good companies end up getting bought out and there product goes to crap. Look what happened to the Fender guitar, the Brunswick pool table. People still buy something because of the name even when the product is now junk.
    Not saying your boots are junk but Sorel is just another boot company now.

I'm telling you the boots have served me admirably over the last four years and fit the bill for "walking all day in wet snow." If you'd rather believe the reviews and gnash your teeth about the decline of the company, as portrayed in Wikipedia... I certainly can't stop you.

The Neos Navigators with stabilicers are my choice. http://overshoesneos.com/ Last week I hiked an AT section that had 2 inches of ice over 8 inches of slush over 3 inches of mud. I should have deployed the gaitors but I was in a hurry trying to beat the sunset to the shelter in the photos I am putting up from day 1Screen shot 2014-02-28 at 6.42.05 PM.jpgScreen shot 2014-02-28 at 6.37.00 PM.jpg. My pants were soaked from the overboot to my knees but the boots were completely dry inside other than from condensation. The spikes were a lifesaver. I wore the boots for three days and my feet did get a little pruned from the lack of breathability but no moisture came in from outside and I hardly knew I was wearing them. All the guys with me will have them on our next winter trip after seeing them perform. The Navigators have built in gaitors that come well above your knees when unfolded, they have spikes on the bottom almost eliminating the need for microspikes and they are completely waterproof. I have had them down below 0° and not felt the least bit of cold.

I'm telling you the boots have served me admirably over the last four years and fit the bill for "walking all day in wet snow." If you'd rather believe the reviews and gnash your teeth about the decline of the company, as portrayed in Wikipedia... I certainly can't stop you.
    I don't doubt your boots have served you well as most of the reviews are good but I also believe many people were having a problem with the rubber separating from the leather as seen in the most recent video review of the 225 reviews at Amazon

Before all the anti waterproof shoe crowd weighs in telling you you can't keep feet dry in those conditions I can tell you on plenty of hikes in wet slushy conditions I've been able to keep my feet warm and dry even on multi day hikes with the slush not terribly deep(under 6"). Notice I didn't say in extended heavy rain. What I look for is a Waterproof boot/shoe with a high WP gussetted tongue, a tightly sealed or preferably one piece lower(examine the seals or stitching closely - this can be important!), and use gaiters to keep the slush out(I like eVent WP or highly water resistant stretchy Schoeller fabric gaiters). There's also a WP over bootie for low cuts. I've never used them though. In these types of conditions I'm sometimes(when it's COLD and hiking at a more moderate to slower pace) hiking in Schoeller fabric pants too which help keep the slush out of the shoe. You might look at some of the Icebug shoes. They offer them in low and mid cuts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++