WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ramen Recipes

Nice thread! I'm taking notes!

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Oh how I would love to see a ramen noodle recipe cookoff at Trail Days, complete with judges. What a hoot that would be and a bunch of great recipes too!
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Whether it's raman noodle or rice or lentils, or whatever... I mix dehydrated foodstuff and mix in

Things, like Beef/Chicken Jerky, broccoli, carrots, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers, celery... and always add some type of seasoning.

Journal Entries
    Images

agreed or as ingredient option in a hiker cook off see who comes up with the most inventive thing using normal found trail foods as ingredients provided.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    Oh how I would love to see a ramen noodle recipe cookoff at Trail Days, complete with judges. What a hoot that would be and a bunch of great recipes too!
    That'd be a real winner.

I take a lot of dehydrated stuff like hamburger with taco seasoning, can tuna, any meat the first week, after that you take what you can find.

Ditch the spice packet - tear up some beef jerky and cook with the ramen, add pepper sauce to it and enjoy.

Dried basil, olive oil and garlic powder.....trail pesto.

Add powdered coconut cream (or milk if you can't find the cream), and some yellow (Indian) curry powder along with some dehydrated broccoli and onions and a small handful of dehydrated hamburger and you've got yourself some kaeng lueng or yellow curry with beef.
    Or, add what you like, although I'd skip the cheese, it does not go so good with Asian foods and the coconut cream is going to make this into a southern curry taste.

In Asian grocery stores, you can find some much better selections of ramen noodles.
    Some have 2 and 3 flavor packets inside, complete with oils etc.

Eggs is another good thing to add if you have them. (of course most of us don't while backpacking, but it's not unheard of)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Mama noodles are good. I like to add soy sauce, jalapeño and chili peppers. Also dried onions and dried shrimp.

I've added olive oil and spanish chorizo and try to let it stand as long as possible. Turkey jerky works good too.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Add 1/2 cup of Bear Creek Cheddar Broccoli Soup mix. I use hot and spicy ramen from Winn Dixie. Otherwise I'd leave the seasoning packet out.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Never thought of using the soup mix. The broccoli and cheddar one is my favorite. I bet that would be delish.
    "Truth is anything you can convince someone else to believe" - Me

Images

I'll 2nd the versions that add jerked meats (torn up), and nut butters/ethnic seasonings. The packets included in the kit are a lethal mix if eaten regularly. They dehydrate the **** outta me too.

Dried veggies and any wild foods found along the trail (the Roman Legions lived on wild foods and rice/lentils/bulgur) are excellent. Especially if one is incredibly well versed in wild mushrooms (abide local laws and beware of 'shroom hunters).

Images

Two years ago I bought 8-10 different foods and soaked them separately in water for 4-5 hours each. Ramen noodles with spices from home was great. Example, cous cous was awful.

I do not cook anymore unless someone has a fire going, I soak the ramen noodles for 4 or more hours in a zip loc bag with spices from home. 2nd bag around it. HUGE supply of noodles, they are fried so they come already cooked, semi warm from being in my pack, eat immediately.

I use the noodles and mix in curry powder, chili powder, cumin, and ginger for flavor. I then add in pineapple and cashews. This also works with rice.

Journal Entries

Amazon has a Ramen cookbook. I've ordered it but haven't used. However, from what I saw of the book on the Amazon website, it looks like it could be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Add 1/2 cup of Bear Creek Cheddar Broccoli Soup mix. I use hot and spicy ramen from Winn Dixie. Otherwise I'd leave the seasoning packet out.

I tried this today - amazing! Thank you for sharing!

Up next to try will be the pizza ramen.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

I'm not sure if it's widely available in the states but it would be worth looking for the Indomie migoreng brand of ramen. They come with 5 sachets one of honey soy, one chilli, one sesame oil, one Fried onion bits and one with the powder.... Delicious.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BEBMJX0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GirlfromOZ View Post
    I'm not sure if it's widely available in the states but it would be worth looking for the Indomie migoreng brand of ramen. They come with 5 sachets one of honey soy, one chilli, one sesame oil, one Fried onion bits and one with the powder.... Delicious.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BEBMJX0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, these can be ordered on line. Sorry, I don't know anything about asian cuisine. Are you supposed to use all the sachets at the same time or pick one? Also, what flavor do you like best? I see chicken, beef, onion/chicken, soto mie (?), satay (?)...
    "Pips"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++