WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lyme disease?

Default Lyme disease?

Does anyone have a good source of Accurate information about Lyme disease ?

Nothing besides http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/ comes to mind right now except for the movie Under Our Skin. I remember watching that documentary and getting the willies. The film was not that informative though.

By typing Lyme disease into google, this is one of many links. http://www.articlesbase.com/acne-art...FXAaOgodhGEAjQ

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

GA-ME 2011
    Images
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries
    Images

I picked up a tick last week at the Big South Fork in KY/TN. Couldn't believe it!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Anytime the temps go above 50* the ticks get active so, be careful.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Hey Squeezebox there was a guy I followed last year my the name unitic type that into the search box in trail journals He was hiking for an awareness for ticks.
    Lots of information there.
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Images

This year we should have a good tick die off with the many very cold days. The last few mild winters have really increased the tick populations plus the low deer die off from the mild winters have given them hosts. So maybe 2014 will be less ticked.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

When the temp gets above 50 do daily body inspections ( especially for Deer Ticks they are about the size of a pin head), and when you pull a tick use twizzers make sure you get the head, sometimes the tick will borrow into you skin and burry it's head and when you pull it the head will break off and stay their and contaimenate you later, use a orange high lighter or any color to mark the spot you found the tick and keep an eye on it as soon as you notice a Bulls eye rash ( it's a red rash encircling a couple of inches around the infected area, this could take a couple of days ) go to a Medical Facility ASAP, Daily inspections is the only way i know to help pervent Lyme Disease but still it isn't 100 percent, it also helps to wear light colored clothing and some kind of Bug Juice, Untreated Lyme Disease can leave it's victim Paralyzed or even death can happen, Personally I have never had this disease and hope i never will.

Journal Entries
    Images

My discussions with doctors make me feel like Lyme is still kind of a work in progress. I have faith that people much smarter than I will figure this one out. Until then I inspect my body daily and continue discussions at each check up with an informed MD. Over the years I've gotten lots of different opinions. From "its not really a concern", to "lets get you vacinated." Which I believe they stopped doing. Also, if one does get infected I believe it can be a crap shoot depending on which MD one happens to be treated by. Also I've heard that the body can kill it off alone. Kinda like HCV. Some people will have the antibody and never a virial load. Others die. And there just isn't enough data to come up with valid %'s.

The last vaccine was discontinued back in '02 and it wasn't 100% effective. Hopefully this new research can get a vaccine for us.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/260471.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Images

The vaccine was withdrawn due to public concern about adverse effects, and lawsuits. Apparently the same Lymes vaccine that was developed by Smith-Kline Beecham is licensed for use in Canada. Any of our Canadian friends reading this thread have an information?

Images

Inspect. You have time. The tick doesn't embed right away. So if you inspect in the evening, you'll likely be OK. Also don't take a nap in the grass. Also it's everywhere. My sister-in-law got it in her back yard in Groton, MA. working in her garden. Lot's of deer come visit.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

I work in a medical office in Canada. There is no vaccination available for Lyme disease here either.
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

There was later research that Limerx has significant side effects for folks with certain genetics if they were excluded by genetic testing, the vaccine apparently worked well but by then the lawsuits made it not profitable. I think there is vaccine for dogs and cats as they don't sue.

Not sure what is the best source of information. But I feel I can speak on this subject since my son and I both have Lyme's disease. First symptom go to the doctor and demand the antibiotics. The sooner you get treated the better the prognosis. My son waited a week and developed Bell's Palsy. Deer ticks are so small that even daily checks miss some. Good luck on your hike.

Images

1. There was (perhaps still is) a sticky on the WB homepage that links to what the bulls eye rash looks like.

2. In as many as 40% of cases (mine included), one can have Lyme Disease without the bulls eye rash. The usual symptoms are a flu-like malaise with mild0 fever and aches. Be sure to see a doctor, tell her/him you've been outdoors on the trail, and INSIST on the treatment (at least 21 days of Doxycycline antibiotics) because ...

3. If left untreated, one can develop chronic Lyme with a range of very serious symptoms (facial paralysis, aching joints, cardiac issues, and worse.)

4. Just because you didn't see a tick, doesn't mean you haven't been bitten. Ticks have a nymph stage. The nymph is the size of a grain of pepper and can also cause the infection. The adult deer ticks are also very small. If you do pull off a tick, try to keep it in a zip lock. In case symptoms develop, it can be analyzed.

5. There are different tests for Lyme, one of which is notorious for giving false negatives.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Journal Entries
    Images

As soon as I found the one embedded in me last week, I called my Dr. right away & he wrote me a prescription over the phone for the antibiotic. I wasn't sure if I removed the head or not so always better safe than sorry, I knew a girl who had Lyme disease & she's had multiple spine surgeries due to it. I really wished there was a sure fire way to pull a tick off with getting the head 100% of the time.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Does it make sense to get antibiotics in advance of the hike and be prepared just in case since you might not be ear a drugstore for 5+ days at a time?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Adriana View Post
    Does it make sense to get antibiotics in advance of the hike and be prepared just in case since you might not be ear a drugstore for 5+ days at a time?
    Yes.

You need to do your own research on this bearing in mind two important considerations.

1. An embedded tick does not infect a person right away. If you remove it in something like 48 hours (you need to confirm this time line) there is very little chance getting infected.

2. A small (but specific) dose of the right antibiotic has been shown to be an effective preventative from getting sick from and infected tick if taken early -- welll before any symptoms ever show up and sooner than your 5 days. Do your own research on this. Keep in mind that as a matter of public health policy, taking antibiotics before getting any symptoms show up may be discouraged by the same MDs who would not hesitate for a second to give a prescription under the same conditions to their loved ones. Also keep in mind that every AT Hiker has a responsibility to know more about this than a physician who is not well versed this area.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++