WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Nutrition Label Changes

Just thought I'd post this for anyone else that might be interested.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/27/health...abels-changes/
    "Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still." ~Carl Sagan~

I'm a little suspicious how effective the first one will be. People who don't look at nutritional info aren't going to start just because the letters and numbers have been rearranged in that little black box.

The second one... seriously? Who smokes anymore? Kids sure don't. They're more likely to smoke weed than cigarettes. That's as pointless as click it or ticket campaigns.

(So I don't sound like a complainer.) Everything else sounds awesome at face value. ^_^

Haha! I didn't even look at the other pictures. I was just posting for the article. You're right, though. I don't think most people will even look at the nutrition label any differently than they already do.
    "Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still." ~Carl Sagan~

Yeah, just make it easier for the people who already do. O.o

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    I'm a little suspicious how effective the first one will be. People who don't look at nutritional info aren't going to start just because the letters and numbers have been rearranged in that little black box.

The second one... seriously? Who smokes anymore? Kids sure don't. They're more likely to smoke weed than cigarettes. That's as pointless as click it or ticket campaigns.

(So I don't sound like a complainer.) Everything else sounds awesome at face value. ^_^
    Sadly, Sierra, a lot of kids DO smoke these days - I think it depends on your region. Around here, it's apparently still considered "cool" or "edgy" for kids to start smoking. Sigh. I think that the only thing that might keep them from doing it is to tax the hell out of cigarettes so they can't afford to start. . . although that didn't seem to work here in Jersey, either.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Agree with you both. If they don't bother looking now, that won't magically make them start. My take on it is if they are making the food companies go through all this then why not have them add about GMO's. One of the industry's push against doing that is the expense of reworking their packaging. Should have them do it at the same time - problem solved! That is as much as I am going to say after reading the article. The FDA is a sham with all the chemical crap they allow in food sold in the US that other countries seem to be allow to keep out. Okay, okay - done :-)
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Images

About the only change they are making that makes any difference is the serving size, that part makes sense and should have been done years ago.

The rest in my opinion is just repackaging and putting a new and improved sticker on it. The average person is not going to give a rats behind about the other changes and none of them are going to make America a healthier country.

People ignore the nagging calorie signs appearing on fast food menu boards and will no doubt ignore new labels. The ironic thing is that most people wouldn't have to pay so much attention to caloric intake if they simply took the time to exercise for 30 to 60 minutes every day.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Serving sizes are bunk. It's all made up.

They should do everything by weight and by cup.

Spinach has x amount of calories per cup, carrots have y amount of calories per cup.

Lean beef has x amount of protein per 6oz, salmon has y amount of protein per 6oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    Serving sizes are bunk. It's all made up.
    I was thinking about this the other day reading the information on ice cream. I'd like to meet anyone who eats half a cup of ice cream (the serving size).
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

A SCOOP is a cup!

At least my scoops are.....

Images

Well when ice cream is sold a as 1.75 quarts or half gallons 1/2 cup serving size does make sense. It the products that are clearly single serving items where the serving size is a fraction of that, that is silly.

I will also say serving sizes cannot always be based on just weight alone. If I buy a 16oz package of smoked sausage in which there are 5 sausages, are there 5 servings? Or are there 8 2oz servings?
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Yeah, who eats a half cup. Well, when I was working really hard to lose weight I would measure it out. But the problem is confusing labels like pasta. Is that cooked or uncooked? What if my pasta arranges itself "fluffier" in my measuring cup than the lab or denser than the lab. Same thing with breakfast cereal. I agree with bfayer. Serving size should be based on weight not volume.

Biggest tip I can give to cutting calories? Use a smaller bowl, plate, cup and don't put processed food on it. Real food is so much more satisfying and filling, imo. I'll take a whole banana over sugary fried banana chips any day.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

I would also say that if you are wondering who eats a 1/2 cup of ice cream (I do), it's not that the 1/2 cup is out of line, it's that someone's judgement of reasonable serving sizes needs to be calibrated again.

I've measured out half a cup of ice cream before and it seems like less than what most ice cream shops sell as kiddie scoops. People who can eat that kind of serving have more self control than I do!
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    I've measured out half a cup of ice cream before and it seems like less than what most ice cream shops sell as kiddie scoops. People who can eat that kind of serving have more self control than I do!
    And remember that what we now consider to be a kid's meal at McDonald's was at one time considered to be a reasonably portioned adult meal.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    And remember that what we now consider to be a kid's meal at McDonald's was at one time considered to be a reasonably portioned adult meal.
    That's why I try to eat the kids meal whenever possible. The trick is that once you get used to smaller portions, it satisfies just like the bigger ones. As for that scoop of ice cream, it reminds me of those little ice cream tubs with the paper wrapped wooden spoon we got in elementary school when I was a kid. I'll bet that was a half cup and if you scooped verrrry carefully you could make it last forever.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Will cost food industry appx. 2 billion to implement. Good thing food costs aren't computed in inflation index......
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

For thru-hikers, the most useful nutritional information would be the total amount of calories in the whole package. For pints of Ben and Jerry's, there's no way you're eating a part of that and saving the rest for tomorrow. For cookies and chips and things, having the total calories makes it way easier to figure out your resupply. If your goal is 4,000 calories a day, and you have a 3-day stretch to the next town, you need 12,000 calories. Just add up the totals on the packages and you're set!

As a side benefit, non-hikers might balk at buying the family sized thing of Oreos or whatever if they realize that all those servings add up to 10,000 calories!

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    For thru-hikers, the most useful nutritional information would be the total amount of calories in the whole package. For pints of Ben and Jerry's, there's no way you're eating a part of that and saving the rest for tomorrow. For cookies and chips and things, having the total calories makes it way easier to figure out your resupply. If your goal is 4,000 calories a day, and you have a 3-day stretch to the next town, you need 12,000 calories. Just add up the totals on the packages and you're set!

As a side benefit, non-hikers might balk at buying the family sized thing of Oreos or whatever if they realize that all those servings add up to 10,000 calories!
    Not that I don't agree with some of the other comments above but this is more what I was looking at. I've been looking at a lot of things in life from a thru-hiker's standpoint lately. How many "trail calories" are in a package, what is the weight per calorie ratio, etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++