WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Irrational Fears

Hey everyone, Kinda new here, however I've been hanging around for a while reading ... Although I have lots of experience with going backpacking and being outdoors alone, I can't seem to get over one of my most frustrating fears. Its totally irrational, and has always driven me nuts! Its my fear of running into other people (that may do harm in some way). Whether hiking my local trails or backpacking for three nights. My family thinks me nuts, as I am in the woods on a daily basis either hiking, mtn biking, snowshoeing or otherwise (so it is not debilitating) ... I am dying to know what other think, and what other people fear irrationally, and/or if some others have the same fear, while out in the woods... Take care everyone!

For they particular fear, you might try ditching your TV.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I'm a little nervous at the thought of who or what I might encounter, but I think I'm way more afraid of mountain lions.

Images

i have had the rangers call on me 5 times. homeless guy with dog in living in woods. most people are standoffish till they get to know me. do you have this problem on city streets too?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy97 View Post
    I'm a little nervous at the thought of who or what I might encounter, but I think I'm way more afraid of mountain lions.
    I was going to say that fear of cougars is totally irrational, until I saw that you live in CA.

On the east coast I still have a slightly irrational fear of encountering a pack of coyotes solo or a particularly confrontational whitetail buck during the peak of the rut (seriously, the horny bastards will confront you and refuse to back down, I've had to veer off trail to walk around them on occasion). I've never encountered a moose, but supposedly they're just as bad and 8 times the size of the deer.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Mice running across my face while i sleep in the shelter. So much so planning to stay out of them as much as possible. Have tried to figure out if I can rig something up to cover my face but still let me breathe in the event i really need to sleep in one.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    Mice running across my face while i sleep in the shelter. So much so planning to stay out of them as much as possible. Have tried to figure out if I can rig something up to cover my face but still let me breathe in the event i really need to sleep in one.
    I would call that more of a rational concern than an irrational fear. There are many threads on this site about the pros and cons of using shelters, if mice are something that you consider to be a major inconvenience, then you should consider using a tent or hammock instead.

Go see a doctor with a soft couch. May do you good. You even said you were being irrational.

Skunks. An encounter with a skunk sort of stays with you.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I would call that more of a rational concern than an irrational fear. There are many threads on this site about the pros and cons of using shelters, if mice are something that you consider to be a major inconvenience, then you should consider using a tent or hammock instead.
    I don't really mind them per say, I just don't want to wake up with one gnawing on my face I remember reading in one of the trail books ("A Walk In the Woods", maybe) how bad they were at some of the shelters and I have spent time trying to figure out a device that I can carry - dual purpose of course - that I can put in the opening of my sleeping bag that would prevent them from being able to get to my face but, as I said, still let me breathe (claustrophobic so can't pull the bag down over my face) if staying in a shelter is the best option given weather, etc. If you knew how I've laid at night trying to figure something out you'd understand. But, then again, maybe the mice aren't as bad as I envision - you know, little armies of mice, lined up at the ready for you to do the open mouth snoring thing so they can pop right in your mouth. {{{shutter}}} Okay, gotta stop thinking about this
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I don't really mind them per say, I just don't want to wake up with one gnawing on my face I remember reading in one of the trail books ("A Walk In the Woods", maybe) how bad they were at some of the shelters and I have spent time trying to figure out a device that I can carry - dual purpose of course - that I can put in the opening of my sleeping bag that would prevent them from being able to get to my face but, as I said, still let me breathe (claustrophobic so can't pull the bag down over my face) if staying in a shelter is the best option given weather, etc. If you knew how I've laid at night trying to figure something out you'd understand. But, then again, maybe the mice aren't as bad as I envision - you know, little armies of mice, lined up at the ready for you to do the open mouth snoring thing so they can pop right in your mouth. {{{shutter}}} Okay, gotta stop thinking about this

Something like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mice....yeeechhh. The very first night in the Springer Mtn. Shelter (did the approach trail) one bit my hair and pulled out a chunk (someone later told me that they do that to gather nesting materials). That soured me on shelters from then on. The best deterrent to mice is, as said above, tent or hammock. Don't keep your food in your tent either as mice have been known to chew into a tent to get at the food. I bear bagged almost every night because of this. Mice problems gets a little better when it warms up and the snakes appear.

Speaking of snakes, I saw two ginormous rattlers sunning themselves on the rocks that are loosely referred to as a trail in that state(Pa.). Both of them were within a mile of each other and just right before the 501 shelter iirc. For a couple of days afterwards, anytime a twig or branch rubbed up against my lower leg I would jump a little thinking I was being attacked by a giant rattler or black mamba or anaconda or the sort.

Other than snakes and mice, I really feared running out of TP. The one thing that I feared that I don't believe was irrational was descending some of the mountains up north in NE in the rain. That stuff was downright scary at times.
    Last edited by 4shot; 03-02-2014 at 11:16.

people on the city streets are a lot more frightening to me than anyone or anything I've ever encountered in the woods, or under water...so I spend little time in cities.

for me, the 2 things not to be afraid of: Living and Dying....as to the former, it's possible to go thru life and never truly experience it because of fear; and the latter, well it's inevitable that at least our physical self will cease to function at some point although the spirit may continue on. If you can get past the latter, the former will take care of itself. people in general are my irrational fear, but not the physical harm they can bring, it's the psychological damage they can do....your self-admitted irrational fear is evidence of that, even though not debilitating, it obviously weighs on you.....

I understand your fear. I don't think it's irrational at all. Anything could happen in the woods.

It's only a problem when it keeps you doing what you really want to do. Fortunately, your fear hasn't kept you from doing what you enjoy. That's good.

I understand that you find your fear annoying, more than anything else.

Do what ever it takes that helps you feel comfortable.

-Talk therapy.
    -Carry something with you that you feel would give you some protection.
    -Take self defense classes

You are not alone with this fear. I've read journals of others that have this same feeling. There have been other threads started on this subject on WB. It's not uncommon at all.

I have this same fear myself. You are further along than I am, tho. I refused to hike alone. I can't do it. I live close to the trail. I like to check on shelters, in my area, for log book replacements, carrying out trash, check on water availability etc.. I will not go alone. I always have someone hiking in with me. Always.

I don't have any problem finding others to hike with me, so it works for me.

My fear doesn't keep me from doing what I enjoy.

Welcome to Whiteblaze devil dog!!

Bad things have happened on the AT and mostly likely will again. Best advice I can offer is never camp near roads, or stay in shelters near roads. Learn to distinguish hikers from townies; it's really not that hard. Hikers can be trusted, and look out for one another, but townies are wildcards. When a strangers asks "where are you headed" (meaning, where are you staying tonight) offer the vaguest possible answer... and then put some miles on.

You know that it's irrational, your family knows that it is irrational. You know that you should seek professional help.

You will not get that online.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Get a dog...best hiking partner ever! Don't cancel or complain! Dual purpose..also keep mice and bears away...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Get a dog...best hiking partner ever! Don't cancel or complain! Dual purpose..also keep mice and bears away...
    When I hiked with a dog I noticed two things. People who were eyeing me in an unpleasant way (scary people?) would find a different direction to walk in. Fortunately this was rare. People, usually women, who might be eyeing me warily were immediately put at ease when they saw the dog.

Some irrational fears: being killed and eaten by an alligator; being crushed and eaten by a big serpent like a python. I guess I won't be hiking certain parts of the Florida Trail anytime soon.
    Last edited by map man; 03-02-2014 at 11:00.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i have had the rangers call on me 5 times. homeless guy with dog in living in woods. most people are standoffish till they get to know me. do you have this problem on city streets too?
    Kayak Karl - funny you say this ... my wife always reminds me that I AM the crazy, bearded guy walking around the woods by himself everyday! Ha Ha! Everyone's responses are so helpful in getting some feedback. Having grown up right outside NYC, the city does not scare me ... perhaps rational though should prevail and tell me to be more fearful of walking the city streets than the empty woods. Having said all that, its high time I get my shoes on and go for a walk in the woods!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++