WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default davenport to newfound

are there any reasonable shuttle services that run between davenport gap and newfound gap?

Standing Bear Farm would probably do it and is probably your only option. Of course, "reasonable" is a relative term when the round trip (for the driver) is about 100 miles and a couple of hours.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

that also raises the next question; which is safer to leave my car at, newfound or davenport. i will be walking back to my car

You can walk a few miles extra and park at Standing Bear. Curtis can take you to newfound gap. that is only 2-3 days to hike.

You might as well leave your car at Standing Bear and get the ride back to NFG. That way you can leave at any time after arriving instead of possibly having to wait around for a ride back to your car and the additional delay the trip takes.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

There are others beside standing bear farm. I used one off of here.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs...-2014-1-25.pdf

Images

I'd leave a car at Standing Bear Farm and hike mostly downhill. It's a nice hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If the choice is Davenport v. New Found Gap, I would pick New Found Gap just because it is a much higher traffic location. Otherwise, I have no additional input on the suggestion on Standing Bear Farm.

Journal Entries
    Images

I've parked at Standing Bear & NFG & had no troubles at either place. I;ve also had Standing Bear Shuttle me to NFG & had no problems. It's mnice to walk back to Standing Bear since you can stay in their bunkhouse or a cabin, shower & eat on the last night if you want to get an early start out the next day.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

davenport is notorious for car break ins.....

You might also consider parking at Big Creek Ranger station and starting at Newfound Gap. You'd still need the original transportation back to Newfound Gap but it's a convenient place to come out and I didn't have any issues there. You can either stay on the AT and backtrack to the Ranger Station or blue blaze to it and make up the AT mileage at will.

Quote Originally Posted by kcnal View Post
    You might also consider parking at Big Creek Ranger station and starting at Newfound Gap. You'd still need the original transportation back to Newfound Gap but it's a convenient place to come out and I didn't have any issues there. You can either stay on the AT and backtrack to the Ranger Station or blue blaze to it and make up the AT mileage at will.
    There aren't actually any parking spots at Davenport Gap, it's just a trail crossing a narrow winding road. Parking is a mile down at the ranger station.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Check with NOC-Gatlinburg.

Until April, US 441 is always iffy if it will be open or not if it snows.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

it wouldnt be till april at the earliest. it looks like a good route, easily attainable milages between shelters

I'm doing Newfound Gap to the Big Creek Ranger Station via one of the side trails off the AT in mid-May. Seems like the safer, easier option.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I'm doing Newfound Gap to the Big Creek Ranger Station via one of the side trails off the AT in mid-May. Seems like the safer, easier option.
    That's the route I was alluding to that I did as well. It's a great hike...enjoy!

Images

we had a shuttle pick us up at the rainbow falls trailhead and drop us at the big creek ranger station which will save an hour and some $$ on the shuttle plus you get to go to LeConte our shelters were cosby pecks and LeConte. the highlights of doing Leconte are the myrtle point and west point views and the hiker lunch at the lodge also rainbow falls

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcnal View Post
    There aren't actually any parking spots at Davenport Gap, it's just a trail crossing a narrow winding road. Parking is a mile down at the ranger station.
    First of all, where is the location that it gets reported that Davenport Gap has lots of break-ins?
    • The Big Creek Ranger Station?
    • Highway 32/Mt Sterling Rd where the AT crosses the park boundary near Davenport Shelter?
    • Parking Area on Waterville Rd under the bridge that crosses River at I-40?
    • Other?

If Big Creek Ranger Station is safe to park at, then you can either turn down Chestnut Branch Trail 3 mile shy of the park boundary, or if you want to go all the way to the park boundary, its is a 1.5 mile road walk back to Big Creek Ranger Station.

Images

the small parking spot near davenport gap (and yes, there is a place to park there)......just a few yards from where the AT crosses the road...

i've never heard any problems at the ranger station.......

oh, and ive heard of problems at the bridge by the river......

basically, the two areas where the locals can access cars easier.......

I've parked at Newfound and at Standing Bear with no problems. The climb out of Davenport is nowhere near as tough as out of Fontana so I would go SOBO and enjoy the climb.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++