WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default canister stove / windscreen

Thanks to the person who convinced me how dangerous it is to have a windscreen with a canister stove. You just might have saved me from blowing myself up. Apparently also never have your stove in your tent or vestibule. Keep it a least a few feet away.
    Safety before comfort!!
    Thanks

We need details before making a blanket condemnation like that. Brand model of the stove/canister. Placement of the windscreen relative to the stove. Tent and vestibule use. Etc. The whole story please.

Wayne

It's a bit of a pain but you can use a conventional windscreen (the stiff rolled-up foil kind) with a canister stove. The trick is to have the windscreen surround the flame and the pot but not the canister itself.

To do that you can punch small holes in the foil and then use three lengths of coat-hanger wire (about 10-11" each) through the holes so that the coat hanger wires rest on the pot support.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Journal Entries

I can manage to hold a ccf pad around a cannister stove and pot for 3 min myself. YMMV

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    ... Apparently also never have your stove in your tent or vestibule. Keep it a least a few feet away.
    Safety before comfort!!
    Thanks
    I do wonder if you mean don't cook in the tent or don't have a canister stored in the tent.

Both seem like generally good things till you are there, and it's raining, and cold and all you want to do is be in the bag and having something hot to eat or drink. I would frequently have my jetboil stored inside my tent and in the morning set it up and place it under the 'beak' (semi-vestibule area, but just really a overhang) of my tent and have morning coffee while still in the bag. I also did that with Esbit. Far fewer times I made my PM meal in the tent beak area, that was only due to rain and not having a shelter structure to go under.

Was I taking a risk, perhaps. The Jetboil does a great job at containing the flames, esbit is a very dependable burn fuel.

I use a shield similar to the one shown in the photo, the bottom of the shield lines up just above the centerline of the fuel valve and goes half way up the pot. I measured the temperature on the top of the fuel canister with a pot boiling with and without the shield and saw little difference in temps but a big increase in performance. The pocket rocket works now in a breeze out in the open and I can turn the flame down. By keeping the shield up high it crease a chimney effect that keeps the heat going up around the sides of the pot instead of heating the surroundings.

I do agree that a full height shield from the ground up is a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I can manage to hold a ccf pad around a cannister stove and pot for 3 min myself. YMMV
    Best answer yet!

Images

The SOTO stoves have a wind screen accessory. Not bad for a stove that weighs 3.2 oz.for the setup. I love this thing....

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    The SOTO stoves have a wind screen accessory. Not bad for a stove that weighs 3.2 oz.for the setup. I love this thing....
    I've seen these. They show some data comparing the performance with and without the windscreen.

http://www.sotooutdoors.com/products/item/OD-1RW.html

They also have an even lighter stove that supposedly protects from wind without the screen. Scroll to the bottom of this page to see their data.

http://www.sotooutdoors.com/news/new...up_OD-1RX.html

These also have a regulator that is supposed to give superior performance at low temperatures.

Would like to see some independent tests.

Images

Be careful your canister does NOT get hot.
    A good way to manage a windscreen is with remote canister stoves; the canister then won't be overheated because it's nowhere near the flame. Another advantage of remote is that they are usually more stable. The disadvantage is that they are heavier and often more expensive.

One is the firemaple FMS-118:
    31D344AXIVL.jpg31rrQtPxHML.jpg
    http://www.amazon.com/Burner-preheat...ywords=fms-118 That's a good price ($45 incl ship) and I just ordered one, but the dealer must be in Asia because it'll be 3 weeks delivery. So by the time I get it I won't need an invertible canister stove.

In warm weather the canister use the canister right side up. In cold weather you can use the canister upside down. Then it works as a liquid fuel and will work down to below 0F. The Kovea spider KB-1109 is another invertible remote canister stove. Primus makes some also.

This upside down canister mode DOES NOT WORK ON ALL remote canister stoves. Look at the brass tube in the flame area of these pictures. The liquid gas goes through this tube and is vaporized by the flame. If it does not have such a tube DO NOT INVERT THE CANISTER, it's dangerous. Google 'inverted remote canister stove' to see more about how to do this.

Journal Entries
    Images

Here's my invention. It suspends the windscreen right where you want it via s. steel fishing line. This allows for a much shorter windscreen that stores in the pot.

It requires a stove with sheet metal pot holders and holes at the end of them. The pocket rocket has this.
    Materials:
    stainless steel fishing wire
    pop rivets
    small hooks
    sheet metal

Skip to 3:40

previous ideas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVgXsod2CBU
    I got the idea from Qiwiz. He made a 2 piece windscreen + suspension. I invented something lighter and possibly better.
    David Smolinski

++ New Posts ++