WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Western Mountaineering versus Feathered Friends

I am preparing to buy a 3 season sleeping bag and I think I have narrowed down my choices to 2 different bags. After doing some research I am looking at the Western Mountaineering Alpinlite or the Feathered Friends Swift UL. Both are 20 degree bags and the weight and cost are basically the same. The Feathered Friends bag is a little roomier by just a couple inches in the torso area and that might be nice for a big guy like myself. I was hoping some folks out there might have experience with these bags or other WM or FF bags and will please share that experience? Any help is appreciated as this is an expensive item!

Images

If you're looking for a quality sleeping bag that will give you the room you need consider a Montbell sleeping bag. They have a feature that allows the bag to stretch to fit and to let you move inside it. Check their web site for more info.

I have a Feathered Friends UL Down 20 that I just bought and plan on using for my upcoming 2014 thru-hike. I havn't had a chance to test it outside yet, but the bag is very comfortable.

its like volvo or saab, ferrari or lamborghini.... you simply can't go wrong... that said, step away from my FF Kestrel, no one has to get hurt

I have a WM Ultralite, also a 20F rated bag and likely very similar to the AlpineLite. It's a great bag; after a whole lot of use, I had it restuffed last year, and in fact 'overstuffed', which is an option you can request. I'm a pretty "normal" sized person, at about 5' 10" tall, the 6' bag fits me great.

I think you'll have trouble finding anyone with significant experience with similar bag types from two manufacturers like this. I suspect you can't go wrong with either choice, however. Although I live close to Seattle, my only experience with Feathered Friends is with their down booties, which are also excellent.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Personally Demo a few sleeping bags(as many makes and models as you can, that's going to be iffy with FF bags though) to get a good feel for the dimensions you need/want in a sleeping bag. You make no mention of shoulder/hip width, feet size, your body shape, your hiking style(if you can pin pt to one), how you sleep, how you are planning to utilize this temp rated sleeping bag, etc. These aspects will help assist anyone attempting to assist with more targeted opinions.

Used the WM Alpinlite on my thru last year, until Marion. Great bag, very comfortable during the cold nights early on the trail, and packs down small when in the pack. I swapped out for my lighter, summer bag after Mt. Rogers, but I didn't regret getting the WM. Well worth the investment, IMO.

If you want/need/prefer/like to have a right zip bag, Western Mountaineering is the only choice if buying "off the rack". Feathered Friends may, waiting for an answer via email, build a right zip bag at additional cost. I am currently torn between the WM Ultralite 20 degree right zip versus the Feathered Friends Swallow UL 20. If the Swallow costs extra for the right zip, the Ultralite wins. Bonus points to Western Mountaineering: local dealer, I can crawl in the Ultralite, I can make sure that it will fit in my Rivendell Jensen pack, the Ultralite has a full collar.
    Disclaimer: I am already a very happy owner of a WM Antelope.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by eghama View Post
    Used the WM Alpinlite on my thru last year, until Marion. Great bag, very comfortable during the cold nights early on the trail, and packs down small when in the pack. I swapped out for my lighter, summer bag after Mt. Rogers, but I didn't regret getting the WM. Well worth the investment, IMO.
    I have the WM as well and did the same. I am a large guy too, so if you can get a little more shoulder room than the Aplinlite it may be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oak88 View Post
    I have the WM as well and did the same. I am a large guy too, so if you can get a little more shoulder room than the Aplinlite it may be worth it.
    Shoulder room is the same at 64". The Swift is a bit larger in the hips: 58" vs. 55" for the Alpinlite. I'm not a large person, 5'-8", 150 lbs., 42" chest & 34" waist. My first bag (still have & use it) is 58" around the shoulders. snug, but not confining. The WM Antelope is 62" at the shoulders and 53" at the hips (same cut as the Versalite) and feels spacious to me. The Alpinlite would seem huge but I'm not a big person.
    If interior room is a concern, look at the WM Sycamore 25 degree bag.
    Sleep well.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Forgot: Look at the new Terralite as well for a roomy cut.

Wayne

I do not own any FF gear, but I will say that WM produces some outstanding bags, very well made and true to the specs of each bag. With that said, I know many people who find FF to be a company of equal value as well. T-Rx, you can not go wrong with either company's gear, of course they are both expense to buy from. Others here are giving you some good advice.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Measured in terms of decades of service, sleeping bags of this caliber are very economical.
    Buy quality once.

Wayne

I hate to keep starting a new post every time I remember some more information.
    The weight of the Alpinlite listed online is incorrect. The hang tag I saw at my local dealer is correct: Weight = 2 pounds 1 ounce. It makes sense. If you compare the fill weight of the Ultralite and the Alpinlite, + 3 ounces, the total weight of the Alpinlite can not be 1 pound 15 ounces that is listed online.

Wayne

Images

Thanks to all for the great and helpful info. I have never heard anyone say anything negative about WM bags but I have heard or read very little regarding FF bags. I am 6'4", 210lbs., 48" chest, 36" waist and am primarily a side sleeper so the bags with a little more shoulder and torso room are of interest to me. I also would like a bag that will completely unzip so it can be used as a top quilt during warmer months. I am looking for a bag that will be suitable for a thru hike as well. Venchka, thanks for the suggestions regarding the WM Sycamore and Terralite. They both look good and roomy and I think the 25 degree rating will still be sufficient for the AT. However, I was unable to find a temp. rating for the Terralite on the WM website. Any idea what the temp. rating is on this bag?

As others have said, you can't go wrong with either brand. I have a WM Puma bag and it's my go-to winter bag and rated at -15F. See below pic which was taken on a recent 21 day February trip. I also have a Feathered Friends Icefall down parka and it is outstanding and keeps me alive thruout winter around camp.

The main criteria is shell material and quality of down and fill weight (as in how many ounces of down is inside your bag). WM has a microfiber shell which I really like.

Here's the WM microfiber Puma bag on Slickrock Creek/BMT a couple weeks ago.

My FF is about 19 years old and still does the job, it is my only bag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rx View Post
    Thanks to all for the great and helpful info. I have never heard anyone say anything negative about WM bags but I have heard or read very little regarding FF bags. I am 6'4", 210lbs., 48" chest, 36" waist and am primarily a side sleeper so the bags with a little more shoulder and torso room are of interest to me. I also would like a bag that will completely unzip so it can be used as a top quilt during warmer months. I am looking for a bag that will be suitable for a thru hike as well. Venchka, thanks for the suggestions regarding the WM Sycamore and Terralite. They both look good and roomy and I think the 25 degree rating will still be sufficient for the AT. However, I was unable to find a temp. rating for the Terralite on the WM website. Any idea what the temp. rating is on this bag?
    The Terralite is new (it appeared online in the last few weeks) and frankly, WM info online is skimpy. I would call WM (408-287-8944) and ask for more specific details on the Terralite.
    Tipi Walter is correct about the WM microfiber shell material. It is strong and lightweight. A bit heavier than the ExtremeLite series, but very durable and breathable. A very few extra ounces in the shell versus increased durability. Tough choice.

Wayne

RE: Terralite. I found this from ProLite Gear in Bozeman, Montana. Looks like a 25 degree bag and really big. Watch the video.

http://www.prolitegear.com/western-m...terralite.html

Wayne

I'm 6'4", med build, 34" waist, 47" chest, size 14 shoe, currently 215 lbs but will be losing about 10 lbs shortly. All my sleeping bags are long length. I mainly sleep on my side turning from side to side all night long. I'm more concerned about taking an accurately temp rated sleeping bag 10*+ below it's lower temp rating rather than utilizing a 20* rated sleeping bag with any regularity when it's 40*+ when I'm sleeping. I'm an ULer. I'm comfortable in a snug sleeping bag. Took some time getting to that place though. I currently own a WM 10* Versalite(63/54/39), WM 35* Highlite(60/52/38) and a FF 20* Swallow UL(60/56/38) in regards to your company choices and bags close to or at your 20* goal. I used to own a WM 20* Ultralite(60/52/38). Being a side sleeper I do prefer the extra hip room in the FF 20* UL Swallow compared to the WM 20* Ultralite. Both are great bags IMO though. I say that because your two choices have a 2" difference at the hips. My bags are all a tighter fit than your choices - FF 20* Swift(64/58/40) or WM Alpinelite(65/56/39). My closest dimensioned bag to your choices is the WM Versalite(63/54/39) which I find roomy, almost too roomy unless I'm wearing down insulation inside the bag but again I'm a bit smaller across the shoulders and hips than you and I'm med framed and when I'm pushing my WM Versalite to -5* I can't afford to compromise my sleeping bag's or sleeping insulation's loft. If you're contemplating wearing lofty sleeping insulation regularly and want a bit looser dimensions, which you should want anyway because you're slightly larger than me, I think you are going down the right road with your WM Alpinelite and FF Swift choices. It sounds like either would work for you. I'm going to take a shot at your dimensions sight unseen and say, based on the info you provided, you shouldn't get a bag any smaller sized than 63/54/39.

BTW, I went with the FF 20* UL Swallow, which would prolly be too constrictive for you, over the WM Ultralite because 1) I saved 2 oz(yeah, I'm a gram weenie at times, the FF Swallow UL uses 900 down) 2) more hip room 3) packs a tiny bit smaller 4) I sleep equally warm at 20* in either(I compared both before I bought/replaced, BOTH companies have ACCURATE temp ratings!) 5) got a little discount on the FF swallow UL(they have a FF showroom in Seattle)

If you decide on the FF Swift, have the do re mi, and want to cut out 3 oz go for the UL Swift. It has the same dimensions as the Swift Nano. Really though, any bag you choose from either WM or FF is a great investment. With some reasonable care they last many yrs! IMHO, they are Top Notch sleeping bags providing less of a fiddle factor and oodles of warmth for those 20* temps.

As far as 20* sleeping bags that completely unzip, as far as I know, you're getting into top quilt territory. Enough info has already been shared that you might want to digest. If you go with Prolite, as Wayne linked, speak with Brad, he's a top notch gear geek that demos much of what ProLite sells. I've been very happy with all my purchases and customer service at Prolite. Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++