WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Gear List

Default Gear List

Hey guys and gals, I've got a gear list for ya, feel free to tear it apart

I'm planning for my 2015 thru hike . Please Note: I know that some of my gear is on the heavy side and my list includes a lot of luxury items. I'm not overly concerned with pack weight, just wondering if I am missing anything crucial ; but suggestions on both are more than welcome. Ill highlight the gear I haven't purchased yet in red. Thanks !

Item
    Shelter/Sleeping
    Pack (Gregory Baltoro 65)
    Tent (REI Passage 1 )
    Sleeping Bag (Marmot 20*)
    Sleeping Pad(RidgeRest)
    Waterproof Pack cover
    Trash compactor bag
    Pillow
    Clothing
    Underwear (Starter Compression Shorts)
    Socks x3 (Darn Tough)
    Base Layer Top (Under Armor)
    Base Layer Bottom (Under Armor)
    T- Shirt (Smart Wool)
    Shorts
    Long Sleeve Thermal
    Pants
    Fleece
    Jacket (Puffy Down)
    Rain Jacket (Sierra Design )
    Boots
    Misc. Clothing
    Sunglasses
    Bandana
    Watch
    Balaclava
    Gloves
    Winter Hat
    Cooking
    Stove ( Snowpeak)
    Pot
    Pan
    Utensils
    Brillo Pad
    French Press (Impress)
    Water
    Waterbottle (1L Nalgene)
    Water Purification (MSR Miniworks EX)
    Water Bladder (MSR)
    Hygiene
    Tooth Brush/Paste
    Soap/Shampoo
    Deodorant
    Nail Clipper
    Razor /Shaving Cream
    Toilet Paper
    Wet Wipes
    Gold Bond
    Chapstick
    Bug Spray
    Tools
    Rope
    Duct Tape
    Headlight
    Lighters
    Knife
    Gorilla Glue
    Electronics
    Cell Phone
    Kindle Fire
    Battery Pack (Mobie)
    Charging Cords
    Miscellaneous
    First Aid Kit
    Wallet
    Journel/Pen
    Guidebook (AWOL)
    Batteries
    Hacky Sack

* My current base weight estimates are around 27 lbs for winter and 24 lbs for summer .

I suggest you be concerned about your pack weight. That is a heavy base pack weight for a thru-hiker. I'd suggest you shoot for around 20 lbs or less for base pack weight. Weigh everything & create a spreadsheet to tally your base pack weight (sounds like you might have done this already).

Examples - AquaMira instead of filter. Platypus (Playtypi?) containers instead of MSR water bladder. SmartWater bottle instead of Nalgene. Utensil (spoon) instead of utensils. Starbucks Via coffee mix instead of coffee press. AWOL guide in sections instead of entire book. Cut down on duplication in clothing (fleece or puffy jacket).

Anyway, you've got some time to play with your gear list. Try & do some decent hiking trips w/ what you're planning to take & see if it works for you. Good luck on 2015.

Journal Entries

you are so far away, wow, u got time . Shake it down, listen to your body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Images

No need for Balaclava if you have a good winter hat.
    Just pot for cooking.
    Dr. Bonners for soap/shampoo. Ditch the deodorant, shaving stuff, and wet wipes.
    bandanna will sub for Brillo.
    How much duct tape are you bringing? Just wind 3 or 4 feet around one hiking pole.

You'll get a better idea if you weigh items individually.

Journal Entries

You can cancel the pillow and just stuff clothes in a sack and use that as your pillow.
    Blackheart

Images

use www.geargrams.com to organize your list and weights.

Images

I carry an Exped inflatable pillow, clothes in stuff sack are just too firm. 3 ozs. for the large.

Images

+1 on the Exped. Very light and packs into a pocket sized sack.

Thanks for all the suggestions, ill sum up my responses

- is it overkill to carry a fleece and a down jacket if i have a good (windproof ?) mid layer ?

- I'll definetly check out the exped pillow

- I've weighed all my gear , i just estimated a few things based on other lists , and I'm debating on some of my luxury items because I could drop about 3.5 lbs by not taking my kindle , french press, and battery pack. These items make for a great weekend hike but idk if the weight will be worth it on a thru. I still have a whole season to play around with it and I could always send these things home

- My burning question for you guys is if a 25 (ish) pound base weight would be that detrimental on a thru hike even though I am quite fit (not to toot my own horn) and my baltoro can carry a load like a champ .

Images

I would definitely lose the french press and battery pack... but thats just me. If you're a reader, I think having the kindle would be nice. I feel like 25lb base is pretty heavy. Add another 10lbs for food and water. Just do some reading/research and see where you can lose weight and not lose comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Allen View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions, ill sum up my responses

- is it overkill to carry a fleece and a down jacket if i have a good (windproof ?) mid layer ?
    I think it is. If your hike starts early & it's still cold, a fleece vest might be nice. Send it home after a few weeks. You definitely don't want to hike w/ a down jacket. You will need a windproof/waterproof outer layer (Rain jacket); not mid-layer.

- I'll definetly check out the exped pillow
    A pillow is a luxury item. One that I carry. I use this one: http://www.rei.com/product/799192/co...perlite-pillow

- I've weighed all my gear , i just estimated a few things based on other lists , and I'm debating on some of my luxury items because I could drop about 3.5 lbs by not taking my kindle , french press, and battery pack. These items make for a great weekend hike but idk if the weight will be worth it on a thru. I still have a whole season to play around with it and I could always send these things home

A 'regular Kindle' weighs much less than the Fire. If you plan on using a lot of electronics, a battery pack might be something worth the weight (I only had an Android phone w/ an extra battery; didn't need a battery pack). Only you can decide that. You can ditch it if you see you don't need it. Keep it if you do.

- My burning question for you guys is if a 25 (ish) pound base weight would be that detrimental on a thru hike even though I am quite fit (not to toot my own horn) and my baltoro can carry a load like a champ .
    You are young & sounds like in good shape. You could probably 'handle' more weight than someone like me (much older but also in good shape). It probably won't be 'detrimental' to your hike. But, why 'handle' the extra weight if you can go lighter & still be safe, warm, & dry?

Just know that people have successfully completed thru-hikes w/ more packweight that you're planning to carry. Probably more successful thru-hikers carry slightly less base packweight. The less you abuse your knees while you are young, the better they'll treat you when you're older.

Images

If you are like most people, you will be a lot more concerened about pack weight by the time you get to Neels Gap. I dropped 5 lbs there. It's all ok....

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    If you are like most people, you will be a lot more concerened about pack weight by the time you get to Neels Gap. I dropped 5 lbs there. It's all ok....
    yeah I'm really not too concerened , ill keep shedding until im comfortable

I carried the REI french press insert for Nalgene bottles the first time I did Maine, and used it so much that I got the trail name "Coffee". So I appreciate the urge to carry one, but now I just carry Starbucks Via packets, much lighter and acceptable taste.

Yeah its a bit heavy at 13 oz. but ill tell ya its some of the best coffee I've had . Check it out for an on the go French press , its called the Impress Coffee Maker

++ New Posts ++