WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

i did it in diapers, before the stairs, and yes thats a toothbrush, no i don't know why. isn't my mother beautiful, no wonder i was so cute.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...?i=59072&c=712

dunno why i don't have permission to post an image

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    i did it in diapers, before the stairs, and yes thats a toothbrush, no i don't know why. isn't my mother beautiful, no wonder i was so cute.

You're so cute! I want to just eat that face!

Definitely cheating. They don't let thru hikers into Baxter unless they have the documentation to prove their hikes started at Amicalola. ;P

(At least half the thrus I know skipped Amicalola. It all depends how you feel about it.)
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Folks that climb Mt. Everest don't skip base camp, do they?

Even that feller who parachuted onto the top of Springer had to hike the approach back to the base of the falls, turn around and walk back to Springer...

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    You're so cute! I want to just eat that face!
    I know right? What a cutie! Your mother is very beautiful too , Hill Ape! :>)

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    stay at the Hiker Hostel and take their shuttle to the base of Springer
    Agree with Wolf, I live down here, and have done it a few times. (BTW, Survivor Dave is a trail provider down in Georgia, not some web lurker). It's tough if you're out of shape and carrying too much gear...especially the stairs. Was up on Springer yesterday with my boys, and ended up taking a lady down off the mountain who hurt herself going up the approach...she had a couple health issues. Starting from 42 up to Springer definitely makes for an easier first day, but to each his own. Do what you want.

Personally I hike for me, and don't really give a krap what others think. You're gonna do what you want anyways, I would hope...do you really care what we, the esteemed morons of Whiteblaze think?
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Journal Entries

Everyones hike is different. No one does all the exact same things.
    Do what YOU want to do.

But , dont be scared of the approach trail, or the stairs. They are nothing to be worried about. Its standard southern AT terrain, no more, no less.

I can see it being a wake-up call for out of shape people with 50 lb packs. But they will have to wake up tomorrow if they dont wake up today so that doesnt make a bit of difference.

The falls are probably the best thing to see in GA as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post

That is a great photo! What year was this? I have photos of my folks similarly dressed and bespectacled.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

I've done both. It simply doesn't matter. BUT if I did it again. I would start up top.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I guess it will all come down to where the first official rubber stamp is for the AT passport.
    Right! Cause if you don't have the Amicalola Falls stamp, they won't give you a 2000 miler certificate!

[snerk]
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    That is a great photo! What year was this? I have photos of my folks similarly dressed and bespectacled.

73-75 probably, i look pretty small and fat. i've never been able to figure out the toothbrush, maybe i chewed on it for teething. mom tells me i always had to carry something, random things, would spend an hour picking out the perfect twig, would pitch hell fits if anyone tried to help me do anything. they just started letting me do whatever. i wish the dog was in the picture. she was my nanny, raised me right.

My vote is to forget-about the approach because you'll be 20 miles ahead on the first day your lordship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    I know right? What a cutie! Your mother is very beautiful too , Hill Ape! :>)
    *Om nom nom* Commence baby face consumption!

(Side note: why do women become so aggressive at the sight of cuteness?)

I've done it both ways. The biggest issue is your driver. On my two thruhikes, I took a cab from Gainesville and the drivers both took me to Amicalola. The first time I didn't know about FR 42. On the second hike, I was told that the road was closed, which wasn't true. He just didn't want to drive that far. It's a very long drive on poor roads to the trailhead. A few years ago, we hiked from Springer to Franklin and a friend drove us to the top of the mountain. It's nice to have only a short walk to the start of the trail, especially if you arrive late in the day. But it took us a couple of extra hours to make the journey. If you are relying on public transportation, you may not have an option. If you get a shuttle from a local, they may be willing to drive you to the top, but it will probably cost extra because of the added time and distance.

As to the hike - it's only 8 miles. Given the length of the trail, that's nothing.

Yup, starting at Springer is cheating. If you don't start at the tip of Key West, Florida you ain't doing it right.

On March 2, FS42 was not only open but in great shape. Personally, I hate steps up a mountain because it tires my legs. But Amicolola is a great view while the rest of Georgia's AT hike offers little more than the underside of tree limbs.
    While Bill Bryson was tramping through the snow in '96, I, as the reporter for the newspaper there, The Dawson County Advertiser, was sliding my wife's Toyota over the nearby mountains while looking for good photos. I've seen enough of the neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fletchlives1234 View Post
    Just spoken to a guy called Survivor Dave and he informed me that the offical start to the trail is at Springer and Amicalola falls is just the approach. He said that there are 100's of steps on the approach and do I really want to get my arse kicked on the first day. When it's not even part of the AT!

How many peeps start directly at Springer v's Amicalola falls? Any advice on the best way to start as I will be coming from the Uk would be much appreciated.

I thought it best to stay in Atlanta / North Springs for my first night before heading off to either the Hiker hostel / the trail. Any good recomendations??

Kind Regards,

Fletchlives
    It doesn't matter. It may not be the "official" start, but here's the REAL start.
    atrailjpg-671cbdcf875ba225_medium.jpg
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I hiked the approch trail but started at the lodge so I skipped climbing up the falls.

Rather then staying at the hiker hostel or in Atlanta, you could have Dave drive you up to the Amicalola falls lodge and stay there. If you get there early enough, hike the falls just to streach your legs. The next day hike up the approch from the lodge (however, it is a little tricky to find the trail from the lodge, I wandered around for a good 10 minutes before I found it).

From the lodge, the rest of the approch trail is a fairly gental up hill climb and is a pleasent walk. I'd do it again.
    I got a camp site in the park. Did exactly what Slo-go'en said. Hike the stairs with no bag the night before it took about 20 minutes. Then you start above the stairs it's a really great spot to start in the morning.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Toon View Post
    I got a camp site in the park. Did exactly what Slo-go'en said. Hike the stairs with no bag the night before it took about 20 minutes. Then you start above the stairs it's a really great spot to start in the morning.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Perfect Toon... that's how I would do it too! I think it would be a nice way to "warm up".

Slo is right about having a hard time finding the trail from the lodge. We wanted to walk up the trail for a short while with "the girl". We looked & looked for the trail & finally found it. That was in April of 2010... WOW! Time flies!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++