WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Is starting the trail at Springer Mountain cheating?

Just spoken to a guy called Survivor Dave and he informed me that the offical start to the trail is at Springer and Amicalola falls is just the approach. He said that there are 100's of steps on the approach and do I really want to get my arse kicked on the first day. When it's not even part of the AT!

How many peeps start directly at Springer v's Amicalola falls? Any advice on the best way to start as I will be coming from the Uk would be much appreciated.

I thought it best to stay in Atlanta / North Springs for my first night before heading off to either the Hiker hostel / the trail. Any good recomendations??

Kind Regards,

Fletchlives

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Starting at springer is cheating. you won't get your medal.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Honestly, you're contemplating thru-hiking and are worried about having to hike uphill? You're going to basically get your arse kicked - or not - anyway within the first few days.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

only sissies don't climb the 600 stairs and pass under the arch, there are warnings for those with heart conditions. you're not a sissy are you?! ;-)

seriously, the view is worth it, and you may realize you hate climbing, better sooner than later. but there are alternatives as well, there is a road to the top of the falls, puts you at the beginning of the approach trail (don't underestimate that 8 miles either) or fs 42 to the base of springer, backtrack to the peak to "touch" the first blaze, and start your thru

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Bull$hit, it is not part of the trail. It is not required to complete the trail and receive the 2000 miler patch and certificate. It is entirely up to the individual whether they want to hike it or not. In the overall scheme of things it's not much but don't let the macho attitude of some influence you. It has absolutely nothing to do with being a sissy or not. It's kind of like running a marathon and starting a mile behind the starting line. Hike Your Own Hike, not anyone else's idea of the hike.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

The official starts or end of the AT is the top of Springer Mountain. Yes Amicalola Falls is a side trail to the AT. It is also a very beautiful trail, well worth the hike up. If you hike a few extra miles big deal. It will take a couple hours to hike up. It boils down to what is your goal for hiking the AT. Is it to walk from Springer Mount to Mount Katahdin or is it to hike in the woods. I know several hikers that spent some extra $$$ just to avoid hiking what use to be the old AT.

The Amicalola Falls Trail use to be the official AT. This is back when Earl Shaffer hiked the trail when the trail officially started on the top of Mount Oglethorpe - just south of Springer Mt.

Wolf

ok, for the record, i was commenting sarcastically... my most sincere apologies to anyone offended by my feeble attempt at humor

I hiked the approch trail but started at the lodge so I skipped climbing up the falls.

Rather then staying at the hiker hostel or in Atlanta, you could have Dave drive you up to the Amicalola falls lodge and stay there. If you get there early enough, hike the falls just to streach your legs. The next day hike up the approch from the lodge (however, it is a little tricky to find the trail from the lodge, I wandered around for a good 10 minutes before I found it).

From the lodge, the rest of the approch trail is a fairly gental up hill climb and is a pleasent walk. I'd do it again.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Much like a bad cold, this thread pops up a lot.

I honestly think this is the best answer: What is the best for the person driving you to the start of your hike?

If they want a pleasant drive with easy logistics, hike the extra 3-4 hrs and enjoy a classic hike up to Springer Mtn.

If your driver wants to see the start of the historic Appalachian Trail, then go to US42 (if the road is open).
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Fletchlives1234 View Post
    Just spoken to a guy called Survivor Dave and he informed me that the offical start to the trail is at Springer
    it's not a test so there is no "cheating". the official AT starts/ends at Springer

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    ok, for the record, i was commenting sarcastically... my most sincere apologies to anyone offended by my feeble attempt at humor
    I saw the wink.

To the OP: In the end I don't think it matters what you do, you're going to get your ass kicked countless times and one +/- day of ass kicking is insignificant. But if you want to squeeze in an extra experience then you might just want to hike it.

It is not cheating. Springer is the southern terminus.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

So, do SOBOs hike down the approach trail?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

The approach trail has the best views till blood mountain I wouldn't miss it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Toon View Post
    The approach trail has the best views till blood mountain I wouldn't miss it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    really? where are they?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    Sorry Hill Ape, I missed the wink.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Good one Bill.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

That would be the departure trail!

not all of them

Up Katahdin to Baxter Peak.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++