WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    It doesn't matter. It may not be the "official" start, but here's the REAL start.
    Attachment 26353
    And I'm quite certain that is where you started. (there, you got a bite. lol)
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    It doesn't matter. It may not be the "official" start, but here's the REAL start.
    Attachment 26353
    I'm confused. What do you mean by this? Enlighten the noob please.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sounds like an ego issue. If its a concern just go ahead and do the approch trail. Kinda almost as silly as should I do alittle blue blazing. Why not. Personally I hike for fun, but part of that does become ego in certain areas just to make it to that next campsite. The beginning is no different than the middle. Up to you, to me side trips have more to do with the weather than anything else. If the views are blocked or unless its a water issue. Why bother?

The only way starting at Springer is cheating, is cheating yourself of 8 miles of hiking.

Re/Flagg Mt. "In the minds of some dreamers, this dramatic view should be a first sight for hikers to behold as they set off for Maine on the Appalachian Trail. At 1,152 feet, Flagg Mountain is, according to at least one common definition, the southernmost Appalachian mountain.
    And that makes it, in the minds of Alabama civic boosters and state officials, a logical place to start the Appalachian Trail, which currently starts at Springer Mountain in North Georgia and extends 2,175 miles to Maine. In fact, there is already a marked trail -- the Pinhoti Trail -- that leaves from Flagg Mountain and travels a little more than 330 miles to connect to the start of the Appalachian Trail."

Up here in New England we have peakbaggers and 48ers. If a mountain isn't 4000+ feet, it doesn't exist. Peakbaggers don't camp or carry big packs. Most peak-bagging is done as day hikes. Who are we to say, "how silly."

Or go through the arch and turn right (not left), like I did by mistake. This is also a blue blaze trail to the top of the falls following the older trail. I had no idea where exactly the falls were so I kept hiking until I found my self at the top of the falls and said "oops"!. Funny that met about 4 others who had done the same thing that day! Anyway, the falls is just a small part of the hike. You still have a lot of hiking between there and the top of Springer. The approach trail is a good wake-up. If you make it there, you fit enough to continue.

You'll figure out what's best for you.

You'll have to make a lot of those sorts of decisions if you want to make it to Maine.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Do what's best for the person hauling you up there.

The End.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Would you ever tell a marathon runner that they cheated because they didn't jog to the starting line?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Would you ever tell a marathon runner that they cheated because they didn't jog to the starting line?
    No, but I would tell him he didn't run the entire course(i.e. cheated) if he cut the corners too tight.

And if he jumped up on the sidewalk, then that's automatic disqualification.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    No, but I would tell him he didn't run the entire course(i.e. cheated) if he cut the corners too tight. And if he jumped up on the sidewalk, then that's automatic disqualification.
    Good thing hiking's not competitive ...
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by LDog View Post
    Good thing hiking's not competitive ...
    True, but if you're wanting to get a certificate for hiking the entire trail you better not cut the corners too tight and if you cut any corner that's an automatic disqualification

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    No, but I would tell him he didn't run the entire course(i.e. cheated) if he cut the corners too tight.

And if he jumped up on the sidewalk, then that's automatic disqualification.

My intention was to simply point out the absurdity of the "You must do the approach trail" argument.

Though i agree that hikers who jump up on the sidewalk should be automatically disqualified.

What's all this talk about drivers?? That's cheating! If you are hardcore you hike from home to the base of Springer. We don't need no stinkin' drivers! Now where's my medal?

Images

Not hiking the Approach Trail would be like getting a helicopter lift off Mount Katahdin

There is one hiker on the Trail now that rode his bike from mid-Florida to Amicalola to start....that should qualify for an extra badge right there.

Images

So if I'm understanding some of y'all... A blue blazed trail at the start of the trail counts but to blue blaze the trail, lets say in Virginia, doesn't count?
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    So if I'm understanding some of y'all... A blue blazed trail at the start of the trail counts but to blue blaze the trail, lets say in Virginia, doesn't count?
    Correct, makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    There is one hiker on the Trail now that rode his bike from mid-Florida to Amicalola to start....that should qualify for an extra badge right there.
    I've done a couple hundred miles by bike in the course of some section hikes. Bike N, hike S, or vice versa. Can I haz a badge?

Dalton -> North Adams MA
    North Adams MA -> Bennington VT
    Lyme -> Glencliff NH (miles of logging roads, no map)
    Gorham -> South Arm Rd., Andover, ME
    Caratunk -> Stratton ME
    Rte 4 VT -> Brandon Gap, VT (Long Trail)

The rides were almost as memorable as the hikes.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++