WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Managing Raynaud's

Have any of you tried this method of retraining the body?
    http://www.nytimes.com/1988/01/19/sc...old-hands.html

The point is to retrain the body to continue sending blood to the extremities even when it's cold. Somewhere I saw a recent reference to a 50% success rate but that was unsubstantiated. Any thoughts?

My toes tend to freeze when I'm hiking. It seems to relate back to an issue of possible frostnip 3 or 4 years ago. Just tonight, my toes went numb when I leaned my torso against a cold wall for too long; I wasn't even chilled. This symptom seems to fit Raynaud's syndrome more than nerve damage. So I'm starting to have some hope that I can reverse this condition and have an easier time managing my feet in the cold. And Raynauds can be brought on by extended exposure to cold, something I have certainly done in sometimes ridiculous amounts.

If you have Raynaud's and haven't tried it, maybe you'd like to! I think I will be doing this.

~Merry
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I don 't suffer from Raynaud's but my older sister and nephew do - their hands look awful at times - it is circulation problem compounded by years of smoking. Definitely will pass this information along. Wonder if there are benefits to those who don't suffer from the problem. Worth a thought! You wi have to let us know if you realize a benefit from it. Thanks for sharing!
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

++ New Posts ++