Default East or West around Orlando?

My next leg of my section-day-hike will require I choose whether to go east or west around Orlando. Just looking at the map it appears the west is a little closer to drive to (I live near Tallahassee). The total trail miles appear close, maybe an extra day or two if one goes west.

Are there any other factors to consider? Does one side have noticeably more road walks? Is one side more scenic than the other? Is one side easier to follow/better maintained?

My initial inclination is to do the east side as it seems the more traditional side to hike, but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks.

PS I've completed about 32% of the FNST so far.

Images

My understanding is that the western route has a fairly significant road walk while the eastern portion goes through some pretty densely populated areas of Orlando and eastern central FL. The section through Green Swamp/Withlacoochee area on the west leg is the highlight for many while the eastern side has more continuous forested areas.

I would highly recommend Sandra Friend's Florida Trail guide available on floridahikes.com if you don't have it already.

I have Friend's FT Guide. It's has a lot of information and I use it some but overall it's just not a format that suits me at this time. I think its aimed more at thru hikers than day hikers. I recall trying to find out of an earlier section was a roadwalk or what type of terrain and never really finding the info I was looking for. It's probably just me.

If you can find an older copy of Friend's book, the 2004 edition, it's more of a section hiker type format. You would have to compare it to her new book or to her web site to get most recent updates.

Even the new one already has out of date information.

I'll try and give a summery of road walks for both sides after I sit down and see if I can remember s***.

I tend to go ahead and bike the longer paved parts now days.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

++ New Posts ++