WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default UQ Length for a thru hike?

Hey everyone,

I'm in the stages of planning a thru-hike in 2015 or 2016. What would you recommend for a top quilt/under quilt combo for a thru starting in march. NOBO. I need a set that I can use my whole hike and I can't afford to buy separate sets so I'm pretty certain a 20* top and bottom is ideal for me. I won't be sending either home.

I'm heading towards getting a 20* top quilt with some sort of water protection for the down. I plan on getting a 20* underquilt with water protection too.

My question is would you recommend a 3/4 or full length under quilt on a thru?

I'd recommend a 3/4 length for sure. You can use a sit pad or your pack/extra clothes to insulate your feet. 20* is spot on.

Sent from my Hammock.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by G2outdoors View Post
    I'd recommend a 3/4 length for sure. You can use a sit pad or your pack/extra clothes to insulate your feet. 20* is spot on.

Sent from my Hammock.
    I agree. 20* should be fine, I took a full length 0* UQ because it was what I had and found I was too hot most nights even early on.

I guess I will be the one that plays devils advocate. It really depends when you plan to start. A person starting in Feb vs say April.

Another thing I would add to that list is a GG nitlite pad. If you pan on using a frameless pack you can use it to structure it. If temps drop and you need any extra insulation you have it to add to on top of your down UQ. Also for those times when you stay in a shelter you have something to use vs nothing. I totally agree with using a 3/4.

Another thing to know about a TQ is that you will want a wider one then a standard width because there will be times when you will go to ground and the width won't be wide enough especially if your a side sleeper or move around in your sleep.

Images

what month are you leaving? 3/4 are a pain in single digits. i have a 3/4 zero and been fine down to 0, but with wind, rain and stuff on the trail i like a full (no fussing with it)
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    what month are you leaving? 3/4 are a pain in single digits. i have a 3/4 zero and been fine down to 0, but with wind, rain and stuff on the trail i like a full (no fussing with it)
    I'll be leaving in March. So as of right now your guys believe the 3/4 20* and 20* top quilt is the most versatile combination. I'm kinda short. 5' 8" and most 3/4 lengths seems to to be 52-54" long so it's really not that much shorter than me.

Do you think I would need extra insulation for my feet? If so, I would like to add a gossamer gear torso pad. Which can double as a sit pad, and help in the event I sleep in a shelter?

What does everyone think?

Right now I'm leaning towards Hammock Gear for my quilts, seem to be highly recommended.

Images

its march now and its cold out there. with a 3/4 i need a pad under my feet up to about 55. there is a little learning curve to a 3/4 when its cold. how much weight are you saving?

Right now no weight savings because I don't own any quilts. But the difference between a 3/4 quilt + pad and a full length pad is negligible. So the only thing I would be gaining is the versatility of the torso pad. Sitpad, ground sleeping, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering:1857056
    I'll be leaving in March. So as of right now your guys believe the 3/4 20* and 20* top quilt is the most versatile combination. I'm kinda short. 5' 8" and most 3/4 lengths seems to to be 52-54" long so it's really not that much shorter than me.

Do you think I would need extra insulation for my feet? If so, I would like to add a gossamer gear torso pad. Which can double as a sit pad, and help in the event I sleep in a shelter?

What does everyone think?

Right now I'm leaning towards Hammock Gear for my quilts, seem to be highly recommended.
    Get a GG Nitelit pad its worth the investment and the 4.6oz. Very versatile piece of gear for someone hammocking. As mentioned it takes some getting used to using a 3/4 but then again I'm 6'2 so it will be easier for you. They do have a tendency to slide around if you move around in your sleep a lot.

As for Hammock Gear I own 2 TQs, 2 UQs, a cuban fly, and just placed another order for another quilt. Adam provides top notch customer service and I would highly recommend them. For your TQ I would personally recommend getting a standard 20 degree Burro wide with the half tapered for when you go to ground. I would also recommend getting an extra 2 ounces of down. This should keep you comfortable to around 15 degrees give or take. If in doubt add another ounce. As for UQ Adam advised me that a Phoniex 20 with an extra ounce of down would take me down to 15. A good thing to remember is that cottage shops ratings are more true to the temps then major manufacturers because they are usually real life tested to give them their ratings vs using standards unless its based on European standards.

With the right kind of clothing and your tolerance to cold you can easily carry that set up into single digits. Go with the snap closure vs sewn threw so when its warmer you can unsnap everything.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    If you think that you might sleep in shelters, I would skip the UQ altogether. Use a pad in the hammock and in the shelters. Less weight to carry and more overall comfort. Sleeping on a shelter floor is a bit hard. Doable, but after 300 miles I bought a pad. Also if money is tight, that extra $120 (approximate cost difference between a z-lite and a UQ) can go towards your hike instead.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

I would recommend calling Adam at Hammock Gear. He hiked a long ways this past year on the AT and is a wealth of information.

I would be surprised to if one TQ UQ combo will be adequate for the whole trail. I believe you will need to swap out temp ratings at least once.

Good luck.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 12trysomething View Post
    I would recommend calling Adam at Hammock Gear. He hiked a long ways this past year on the AT and is a wealth of information.

I would be surprised to if one TQ UQ combo will be adequate for the whole trail. I believe you will need to swap out temp ratings at least once.

Good luck.
    the 20 under quilt will do whole trip if leaving late march. thetop quilt could be swapped out for a 40 in summer. you can get a 40-50 cheap in synthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    If you think that you might sleep in shelters, I would skip the UQ altogether. Use a pad in the hammock and in the shelters. Less weight to carry and more overall comfort. Sleeping on a shelter floor is a bit hard. Doable, but after 300 miles I bought a pad. Also if money is tight, that extra $120 (approximate cost difference between a z-lite and a UQ) can go towards your hike instead.
    I'm new to hammocks and tried the pad first, made a double layer hammock thinking the pad would stay stationary, didn,t, kept waking up off the pad and cold, I'll make or buy an UQ some time soon...that's just my experience, sure did want it to work so I'd have a pad for ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonryu View Post
    Get a GG Nitelit pad its worth the investment and the 4.6oz. Very versatile piece of gear for someone hammocking. As mentioned it takes some getting used to using a 3/4 but then again I'm 6'2 so it will be easier for you. They do have a tendency to slide around if you move around in your sleep a lot.

As for Hammock Gear I own 2 TQs, 2 UQs, a cuban fly, and just placed another order for another quilt. Adam provides top notch customer service and I would highly recommend them. For your TQ I would personally recommend getting a standard 20 degree Burro wide with the half tapered for when you go to ground. I would also recommend getting an extra 2 ounces of down. This should keep you comfortable to around 15 degrees give or take. If in doubt add another ounce. As for UQ Adam advised me that a Phoniex 20 with an extra ounce of down would take me down to 15. A good thing to remember is that cottage shops ratings are more true to the temps then major manufacturers because they are usually real life tested to give them their ratings vs using standards unless its based on European standards.

With the right kind of clothing and your tolerance to cold you can easily carry that set up into single digits. Go with the snap closure vs sewn threw so when its warmer you can unsnap everything.
    I'm sold on Hammock Gear. They seem like a great company. My thoughts are what your suggesting. I was going to order a top quilt exactly as the one you described as well. Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by 12trysomething View Post

Good luck.
    Why do you think so? Do you think the 20* quilt will just get too hot during the summer months? Purchasing two top quilts is quite expensive, would rather not do so. If so, I think what Kayak Karl suggest would be best and pick up a cheap synthetic 40 degree bag when it gets hot.

the 20 under quilt will do whole trip if leaving late march. thetop quilt could be swapped out for a 40 in summer. you can get a 40-50 cheap in synthetic.
    Would that be completely necessary or am I underestimating how hot I would get with the 20*/20* combo. I camp during the summer with a cheapie 20* bag and don't tend to overheat.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I'm new to hammocks and tried the pad first, made a double layer hammock thinking the pad would stay stationary, didn,t, kept waking up off the pad and cold, I'll make or buy an UQ some time soon...that's just my experience, sure did want it to work so I'd have a pad for ground.
    Zlite pad, no need to place it between layers. It's stickier than the inflatables. It may take some time to get used to it. I went to it after having a good bit of hammock experience. And of course while thru hiking I sleep well every night.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post

Why do you think so? Do you think the 20* quilt will just get too hot during the summer months? Purchasing two top quilts is quite expensive, would rather not do so. If so, I think what Kayak Karl suggest would be best and pick up a cheap synthetic 40 degree bag when it gets hot.

In my experience/learning the majority of your warmth will come from your underquilt, I have heard opinions up to 70%. The TQ simply holds the heat in/down. Additionally, it is very easy to add warmth up top with clothing and remove it by throwing the TQ to the side/down.

As far as an UQ, you can slide them over, relax the compression at the ends creating a vent and loosen the suspension to reduce heat.

Having not researched the avg cold temperatures along the trail, you may want to identify what is the temp swings you should expect. I have found that I can be comfortable with up to about a 30* swing before I get to cold or to sweaty with a quilt set.

I currently have 2 sets of quilts; a 3 season set which is a 30*UQ with a 40*TQ and a winter set both at 0*. Where I hike this works for greater than 85% of the nights of the year in the Northeast primarily in the Adirondacks.

You may very well be perfect with 20* set up! It just seems to me that July and August may be sweaty, with damp quilts and additional bulk not needed for summer nights.

I would still reach out to Adam - he is the quilt man!
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    +1

I've been down to about 10* in my hammock with only foam pads. UQs will only be useful hanging. A GG torso or zlite has a wider range of applications for less money, less energy to set up, and increased durability.

If you're adamant on getting an UQ, I'd go 20* as well as a zlite or GG torso. Use them in conjunction up until somewhere between Damascus and Roanoke then bounce your UQ ahead to NH leaving just the pad for the mid-atlantic/ southern new england states.

AT 2012

Three quarter length under quilt. No water protection for top quilt unless your rain fly is tiny. Sit pad for feet-insert in sleeping bag!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Lazarus

All great replies, I just don't hear many success stories with a pad in a hammock. I've tried it, got some cold spots. But the idea of also being able to sleep comfortably in shelter also intrigues me.

I may have to pull the cord on a nice inflatable pad, and the top quilt I was planning on getting from hammock gear. And testing it the next few months. May be the best option for me. If i'm warm in my hammock and can transition to a shelter ground comfortable I'd be happy. I also have the option of cowboy camping with a nice pad.

I'm still confused and unsure.. argh.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++