WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default First Timer Planning Section Hike

Hi Hiking Friends!
    I am so greatful to have a forum like this to ask questions on.
    I am thinking about completing the Georgia section of the trail in late April. Is 4 days doable for this section?
    I have done multi-day treks in the past and am in good physical fitness, but lack technical skills when it comes to steep mountain ascents and ice and snow.

Any and all advice is welcome. If there is a better section to consider for a 4 day hike on the AT I am open to that as well. Sadly my dates are less flexible.

Thanks!

Eva

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

It's certainly doable but you'd be pushing 18-19 mile days right out of the gate. Not that you can't, just be prepared for it. If you do plan to do this, I would recommend doing it southbound (unless, of course, you're planning to do the whole AT and want to strictly go northbound the whole way).

Before we recommend ad hoc 4-day sections up and down the trail what is your goal for the hike? Get out and see some sights? Complete a physical challenge? Knock down miles? Explore every blue blaze, hostel and hotel? All of these are great reasons and all would influence our recommendation for 4 day sections.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

There's nothing approaching technical anywhere on the AT, you don't have that to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

If you haven't backpacked long distances with a pack before, don't expect to average 20 miles/day for four days.

Quote Originally Posted by clessy View Post
    Hi Hiking Friends!
    I am so greatful to have a forum like this to ask questions on.
    I am thinking about completing the Georgia section of the trail in late April. Is 4 days doable for this section?
    I have done multi-day treks in the past and am in good physical fitness, but lack technical skills when it comes to steep mountain ascents and ice and snow.

Any and all advice is welcome. If there is a better section to consider for a 4 day hike on the AT I am open to that as well. Sadly my dates are less flexible.

Thanks!

Eva
    You can leave your crampons and ice ax at home for this one Eva. lol. But no, you can't knock out all of Georgia AT in a long weekend, not unless you're ultarmarathon masochist type. Too many miles. Springer (or AFSP) to Neels Gap is a good fit for your schedule though.

++ New Posts ++